Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Cacowards 2017 discussion (24 years)

Whoops, intended to merge anotak's post into Scuba's thread and accidentally did the reverse of that. Close enough D:

Congratulations to all the winners!

thank you!!! <3 everyone!

im sad that ryath's unalign.wad did not make it at least as a runner up! it was quite good. my work this year would not have been what it is without the influence of that, or last year's winner absolutely killed

Mockaward is dead. There will be no fun and humor in this world from now on. ㅠ_ㅠ

But now we have new interesting categories, so I'm happy with that. Happy 24th anniversary of Doom, and congratulations to winners and runner-ups. :)

Instead of a Mockaward, how about just an award for best comedy? It doesn't have to be WADs that are intentionally suckish, just ones that have a comedic tone. One great example, although it wasn't made this year, is Mayhem Mansion.

Been a good year. Too bad speedrunning is "sidebar material", especially this year. I get that doing those runs is niche, but I think it deserves more attention.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Been a good year. Too bad speedrunning is "sidebar material", especially this year. I get that doing those runs is niche, but I think it deserves more attention.

Maybe more events\organized competitions of some kind are needed. Maybe some promotion outside the immediate doomworld cadre as well?

rip Moonblood. i was rooting for you.

also, I didn't know Legacy of Heroes was this year.  I assumed it was some old but underappreciated wad of yester-year that @Alfonzo dragged out for Ironman.  It was pretty good.

Still, I haven't even played the majority of these yet, jeez.  This endless stream of Doom, man; I can't keep up.

2nd year in a row being part of a cacoward winning project due strictly to technicality, this time for placing the DM starts in TNTR, I am truly a Doom modding god!!!

(rofl)

Well done to all who won an award, the Doom modding scene isn't going anywhere any time soon! All awards were well deserved. Keep it up!

Congratulations to all of the winners! I'm pleased to always have my expectations blown out of the water to check out the year's award-winning wads every year, most of them for the first time (since I'm not very in the loop with every good release that comes out), and this year was no different. Many thanks to those who continue to challenge the limits of what can be done in this 24-years old game, and of course, those who embrace those limits and standards and keep on building great content to keep the more traditional side of the Doom spirit alive as well.

Watch out for that potential Ralphis comeback!

3x

So how does a totally mediocre project like Legacy of Heroes get a Cacoward and an absolutely outstanding masterpiece like Waterlab GZD merely end up as a runner-up?

And what about lilith? Why do people like such a piece of visual garbage? It may have warranted a Mockaward in my book but a best of the best is a too great an honor for this thing.

So, sorry. The Cacowards have just become like the Oscars, where true quality no longer matters and the main deciding factor is good promotion to make one's project visible in the eyes of the ones who decide and playing to their known tastes?

11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

So how does a totally mediocre project like Legacy of Heroes get a Cacoward and an absolutely outstanding masterpiece like Waterlab GZD merely end up as a runner-up?

And what about lilith? Why do people like such a piece of visual garbage? It may have warranted a Mockaward in my book but a best of the best is a too great an honor for this thing.

So, sorry. The Cacowards have just become like the Oscars, where true quality no longer matters and the main deciding factor is good promotion to make one's project visible in the eyes of the ones who decide and playing to their known tastes?

Well, you certainly could have tried to articulate your arguments in a way that isn't blatantly disrespectful to the projects, their respective authors AND the writers for this year's awards, but that's just too much bloody work for someone riding a high horse like you, ain't it?

Also, did you even play lilith at all, or are you just being mighty unreasonable about its reasonable port requirements again instead of having anything of substance to criticise about it?

28 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

So how does a totally mediocre project

There is no reason to act like a douchebag to other members, there is nothing constructive about your post, it's fucking rude, and uncalled for.

39 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

As a port developer, it is your responsibility to respect mod authors and not try to rudely shove your own opinions on what makes a "good mod" onto them.

It would be nice if you upheld this responsibility, but posts like these, along with the lilith.pk3 drama in the past, make it impossible to say that you do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congratulations to all the winners! An amazing collection yet again~ Especially happy to see Randi get the lifetime achievement, and lilith.pk3 get an award! Both entirely deserved.

Also super happy to see a new award for tools! I'm going to have to step up my game :)