Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2018 Mentionation Thread (don't toot your own horn ffs)

2 hours ago, Dominic Tarason said:

Legit recommendation for SRB2Kart. If Total Chaos can be nominated, so can this.

https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=43708

Spinoff of the Doom-based Sonic Robo Blast 2. Currently online-only (with solo time-attack/ghost mode), but there's an in-game server browser, a good number of players around, and it plays great.

That is impressive.  What Doom engine does it use? Gzdoom or something else?

How does the Doom community keep coming up with great mod after great mod? 

39 minutes ago, Master O said:

Apparently a customised Doom Legacy variant. SRB2 has its own whole mod scene (this is a full standalone spinoff), but it's all Doom under the hood.

Also a correction: Online and split-screen for up to four players. But it's well populated. Lots of people to play with, and a bunch of servers are already running mods.

The engine for SRB2 has been so thoroughly customized that it's no longer a functional Doom port (as in, you can't play Doom anymore with it -- only SRB2). But yes, it's originally based on Doom Legacy, but by now there's probably much more distance between it and Legacy than between Legacy and the original Doom source code release.

Year to date Cacoward:

+++Adventures of Square E2

+++Dimension of the Boomed

+++Struggle

+++ExoMoon

+++Bury My Heart Knee Deep

+++Deathless

+++Order of the Odonata

Honorable mention:

+++Team Rocket

+++Man on the Moon

+++4 Seasons

+++Eternal Damnation

+++Mayhem 2018

+++Doom 404

Mapper of the Year:

+++Jimmy, though narrowly! Lots of candidates!

Gameplay mod:

+++QCDE

Edited by FrancisT18

Somewhat out-of-place question, but if I contributed to a project but am impressed with the work done in said project by the developers/team as a whole, does that count as tooting my own horn ffs if I nominate it?

No, I think that's fine, just don't make a big stink about it. I think a similar policy was in place regarding news submissions years ago; you can submit an article about your own project, just keep it objective and simple.

17 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

No, I think that's fine, just don't make a big stink about it. I think a similar policy was in place regarding news submissions years ago; you can submit an article about your own project, just keep it objective and simple.

In that case, I'm surprised no one's mentioned PlayStation Doom: Master Edition yet.

Granted, it might not TECHNICALLY be eligible for Cacowards since it's not PC Doom (It's PS1 Doom... that's kind of the point).

But I think it's at least worthy of an honorable mention, since the hacking that's gone into it (and the mapping from a bunch of pretty talented folks - severe limitations on mapping and all) is damn impressive in my book, and in the end, hacking the original game is where this community's scene began.

(But that's where the disclosure comes in that I put up a few maps towards it - but that's a small number compared to the work at large, and my endorsement shouldn't take away from the technical impressiveness of the project, as I'd feel this way whether I contributed to it or not.)

While I'm here, I might as well throw up a few more votes:

• Total Chaos (It's not even Doom anymore, and that's what makes it amazing. It deserves every accolade it gets.)
  • The whole "Revenant" series for Machawad (or at least, The Revenant Problem/Revenant Bus since those came out within this year's timeframe, but really it's a series of four - not sure if the other two got mentioned in years prior or not, but the creator's definitely been good at taking a silly concept and running the whole nine yards with it.)
  • CodeImp for CodeAward (More stuff than we can shake a stick at - especially Doom Builder.)
  • Doomslayer Chronicles (as a really solid mapset pushing the PBR stuff in GZDoom.)
  • Ashes 2063
  • Doom Tournament (I'm a huge Unreal Tournament whore, after all.)
Edited by Dark Pulse

On 11/18/2018 at 4:00 PM, Master O said:

How does the Doom community keep coming up with great mod after great mod? 

I played SRB2Kart for a wihle, and while it's pretty neat and fun, I think it would qualify under "Gameplay Mod" more than it would an actual Doom Wad.

And let's be honest, everyone knows QDCE is taking home the Gameplay Mod Cacoward this year. SRB2Kart might get an honorable mention depending on how the rest of the community feels about it though.

The "Best Gameplay Mod" Cacowards are for mods without maps. Full-on total conversions with maps (e.g. SRB2Kart, Total Chaos, even full games like The Adventures of Square) qualify for main-line Cacowards, more or less.

8 hours ago, Xaser said:

The "Best Gameplay Mod" Cacowards are for mods without maps. Full-on total conversions with maps (e.g. SRB2Kart, Total Chaos, even full games like The Adventures of Square) qualify for main-line Cacowards, more or less.

In that case, what category does QCDE fall into. After all, QCDE is primarily a MP mod and it comes with its own mappack consisting of recreations of QL/QC maps. But u can also play regular singleplayer maps with QCDE too.

16 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

In that case, what category does QCDE fall into. After all, QCDE is primarily a MP mod and it comes with its own mappack consisting of recreations of QL/QC maps. But u can also play regular singleplayer maps with QCDE too.

Stuff like this has ended up as part of the Multiplayer Awards (WhoDunIt, Samsara)

Without getting into any of the other issues being raised here, it's also worth remembering that there are now multiple awards for gameplay mods.

Okay if QCDE has maps it gets my +++ for multiplayer. Which also has multiple awards, but I'm not very deeply into it.

Since 2017 looks like it had had ten Cacos and nine honorables, I'll throw a few more in:

Cacoward:

+++Avactor

+++The Quirky Domain

Honorable mention:

+++Demonic Deviation

+++REKKR

+++Maskim Xul

That's nine nominations for each, I'm at an impasse ATM what I think most deserves that last Caco nomination. I have not sufficiently played to judge:

Total Chaos

Ashes 2063

DooM Slayer Chronicles

2 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Surely that's too long ago to be eligible this year

I thought the eligibility window was December 10th of the preceding year through December 9th of the current year?

34 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Wasn't that last halloween? Surely that's too long ago to be eligible this year

It was delayed until January I believe

11 minutes ago, Snikle said:

It was delayed until January I believe

Ohhhh, of course. I assumed it came out at the point where everyone was streaming it, but of course that was just an RC or something.

43 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I thought the eligibility window was December 10th of the preceding year through December 9th of the current year?

Well yes, and that wouldn't include halloween last year.

36 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Ohhhh, of course. I assumed it came out at the point where everyone was streaming it, but of course that was just an RC or something.

Well yes, and that wouldn't include halloween last year.

Well yes, obviously. I suppose I should have say said, "... of the current year, which would imply that Tangerine Nightmare would be excluded since it came out prior to that window."

As for streaming, that wouldn't necessarily be a reliable date. For example, Megablast streamed 4800 Hell Knights several months ago, even though it was an early alpha that was nowhere near ready to be seen by the public.

Incidentally, what is used as the release date for purposes of eligibility? Is it the date when something is uploaded to idgames? Or the date of first release on Doomworld? Or the date of the final release on DW?

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Incidentally, what is used as the release date for purposes of eligibility? Is it the date when something is uploaded to idgames? Or the date of first release on Doomworld? Or the date of the final release on DW?

A project usually begins to be considered when it becomes a "release candidate," since any issues fixed beyond that point are unlikely to affect the final decision (if there are major changes, we try to keep track of that and take it into account, but it is rarely an issue). There's some discretion involved -- if initial feedback on an RC indicates that it probably will undergo significant work, we may hold off on judging it. But final release cycles are too nebulous for us to worry about /idgames release dates -- if we did, it would have taken an extra two years for Breach to be considered, for instance. 

When the Cacowards team was smaller, there were things that slipped through the cracks occasionally due to release date, but we try to keep that from happening. These days, you can most likely expect the cutoff for a given year to be around November 15th, though that's not a hard rule. Whenever a cutoff is called, anything released after that is considered for the next Cacoward year.

Certainly add Deathless to the list. Great stuff, 27 maps all complete within a month.

Mapper of the year: certainly not me. I think this is my first year without a release to idgames.

2 hours ago, pcorf said:

Certainly add Deathless to the list. Great stuff, 27 maps all complete within a month.

Mapper of the year: certainly not me. I think this is my first year without a release to idgames.

You still have a month to go!