Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

what would you like to see more of from the doom community?

I was thinking about the Cacowards adopting new categories and was thinking if we all shouldn't try to do the same!

firstly I'd love to see a bigger spotlight put on speedrunning, both in terms of celebrating the best runners (the marathon masters Zeromaster and Looper we all know but how about the max runners like, say, viperkiller, j4rio and vdgg? TimeofDeath's demonstrations of his own crazy maps are also must-see) and through the organization of occasional speedrunning events where the community at large can enter and compare scores on a leaderboard? I think the Ironman challenge is a really cool concept and something akin to that but with the focus on perfection instead of survival would be really welcome to me... the community makes so many maps, and I adore that we're all so productive but I wanna see 'em all completed by proficient players too!

secondly, the return of mapping crews with cool names is a must. mystery has died a death recently, bring back a dash of the esoteric and cranky release group feel >:)

Not just mapping crews, but I would like to see more separate communities in general. It's always extra interesting to see projects coming from French, Russian, Spanish, or Japanese forums. You play them and and immediately sense a different philosophy present in the levels that is quite different from what the Doomworld machine considers best. The /vr/ releases are cool too. We need more stuff like this and, indeed, more mystery behind the releases. I'm definitely less excited to play a community project when there is a 30 page thread available with all the dirty laundry visible to everyone. Where's the magic?

22 minutes ago, Uni said:

the community also participate in choosing at least one of that same year runner-ups

would indeed be fun to observe the resulting flame war

More diversity in source ports might be nice. Doom has long reached the stage where the early proliferation has given way to two or three dominant incumbents. Apparently this is such a bad idea that people think it's bait. Apologies.

Edited by RjY

I've been rambling on IRC for Uni's idea for what must be around half a year or more now. I reckon it'd be cool, assuming there's at least some level of a vetting process to stop iterations of the same community favourite getting in every year.

Personally, I wanna see more programmers, preferably for source ports. Whether or not you work on GZDoom or Eternity or Chocolate Doom or 3DGE doesn't bother me, but if we want progress to keep marching on - be that in the form of bugfixes or cool new features - we need people to keep maintaining and working on the code that's out there.

Less overwrought mapping, more of the basics. I love that unencumbered, unfettered old school Doom feel. Some of the overmapped levels feel sort of like Quake 2. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not Doom. 

Also, more PSX. PSX/N64 subforum would be great.

Am I doing this right?

Have Doom programmers ever attempted writing some sort of a guide to working on ports? Like maybe they could explain the basics of how the rendering and all that stuff works in the original code. Or is it a cold world where you have to figure it all out on your own?

Due to the complexity of the code, it's difficult to make a comprehensive guide. In addition, each port will have slightly or vastly different ways of doing things, which can make moving from one port to another difficult. At one point I made a very rudimentary guide for Eternity for an interested party, but it turned out that the party in question was unable to act on their interest. The guide is still floating about, but I'm not happy with how shallow it is: http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=User:Altazimuth/Code_Guide

I only managed to get as far as I did because Quasar babied me through my first contribution, and knowledgeable people in #noteternityenginerelated were exceptionally in helping me get on my feet. Eventually you get an intuition for how Doom code works to an extent, but even then there are some areas that are beyond me, and I doubt I'd do well if you dropped me into ZDoom's code and tried to get me to understand what's going on a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, RjY said:

More diversity in source ports might be nice. Doom has long reached the stage where the early proliferation has given way to two or three dominant incumbents.

The last thing single and multiplayer needs is more incompatible standards.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

the return of mapping crews with cool names is a must. mystery has died a death recently, bring back a dash of the esoteric and cranky release group feel >:)

-yes-

Part of the reason I formed the Mechanix Union was inspiration from the Jetsons, Unidoom, and Chaos Core. Seeing these groups work consistently as a team was pretty important to me as an early mapper, and for the past 7 years MXU has been pretty vital for me as a mapper but also as a player. I'd love to see more consistent groups form.

Edited by Decay

45 minutes ago, RjY said:

More diversity in source ports might be nice. Doom has long reached the stage where the early proliferation has given way to two or three dominant incumbents.

Nice bait, but there are people who actually believe this. There's enough division in the community as a whole. Go take a look at those X vs Boom flamebait topics you see on the forums. Or how about the gZDoom vs prBoom+ debate. Multiplayer is already foolishly split 3 ways. Terrible idea.

38 minutes ago, Ru5tK1ng said:

Nice bait

If you think it's such a bad idea, fine. But please assume good faith, or it's impossible to have any kind of discussion at all.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

secondly, the return of mapping crews with cool names is a must. mystery has died a death recently, bring back a dash of the esoteric and cranky release group feel >:)

I will second this. (Inb4 slaughterMAX turns into a full-blown thinktank ;-))

EDIT: Also, "Legion of boom™" anyone? ;-)

I'm really glad to see the Machaward instituted. I want to see more things every year unlike anything we've seen before, that we were never expecting to see.

Unpopular opinion but more vanilla/chocolate/limit removing level(sets) because I'm sick and tired of Boom (compatible) level(sets).

12 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

More women, please.

Additional request: no salty responses.

Hell yeah

8 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Sick to death of vanilla, more Eternity\ZDoom maps worth a damn please.

Hell no

2 hours ago, RjY said:

Apparently this is such a bad idea that people think it's bait. Apologies.

FWIW I agree with you and I wish we weren't basically locked into a duopoly for single-player stuff (Prb+ and GZDoom... I'm not counting "vanilla" as a source port).

Something to make vanilla style multilayer cool again (nearly every mp server I find is modded so hard it barely looks like doom anymore) 

Just now, Major Arlene said:

more "beginner" mapper community projects. I'm most definitely a beginner, and I think due to this I haven't really wanted to try releasing a map (again) because I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot releasing something that isn't very impressive. I think a community project would be a great way to draw out beginners who are nervous about releasing their maps out into the /idgames archives. A sort of confidence booster, if you will. the 4800 Hell Knights project is a great example.

tl;dr every mapper's gotta start somewhere, let's give them better places to start.

^^ This.

I know the JoM project is supposed to be this, but there's an interesting irony I've noticed: The presence of maps by legends such as Dragonfly almost make me feel like anything I make will be ridiculous in comparison. We could use some more "beginner-only" projects, or ones like Major Arlene mentioned that are very within-reach for beginners.

3 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

more "beginner" mapper community projects.

I highly advise anyone wanting to learn, or just gain experience to check out the joy of mapping, with jimmy. It's a super fun and freindly experience imo.

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

firstly I'd love to see a bigger spotlight put on speedrunning

I can empathize, but! The feature was meant as very general "This Year In Speedrunning News" to remind the layman that speedrunning exists. I'm also running out of space to expand to in that sidebar even if I did want to go more indepth. And spilling into the main area seems like a poor fit with the rest. I don't think we're going to start giving Cacowards to demos and if it's just a big writeup with tons of different runs dropped, someone's gonna ask who won, heh.

What I'd rather see is some reincarnation of the Golden Cybers, a dedicated speedrunning award. Some 15+ years ago they were organized like "IRC Oscars", with nominated strong performances known in advance and the winner in each category announced live. This could be linked with the Cacowards somehow, perhaps, maybe, but I'd say only loosely. That way you can shine greater focus on a bigger number of great demos, have some of them win meaningless png images and even fit in the repugnant memery of the speedrun community, like the enirvana craze. I don't really see a good way how to do justice to all of that under the Cacoward ceremony without possibly derailing it.

2 minutes ago, dew said:

[...] and even fit in the repugnant memery of the speedrun community, like the enirvana craze. [...]

You spilled a little bit of graf zahl on your post there.

A thing that's been on my mind for a while:

There's long been a "divide" of sorts between the folks who make gameplay mods and mappers, though understandably so since they're two nearly-orthogonal skillsets. There's the rare project that falls in the intersection of the Venn (generally either full-on TCs or smaller one-map affairs), but what would be really awesome is to put a spin on the (oft-overdone) traditional community project approach (a la cchest) and include a set of specifically-crafted weapons and monsters in the resource pack, thus achieving the mythical "gameplay mod with maps actually made for it" ideal.

The only two examples of this I can think of at all are ZDCMP2 and HPack, the latter of which has stalled indefinitely*, and given the unrelenting talent on both the gameplay mod and mapping side of life, I see a wealth of untapped potential. Assuming somebody is crazy enough to try and coordinate this, I guess. :P

Now, we did get Final Doomer this year, which is sort of a retroactive application of this idea, and the results are fantastic. Just imagining how it'd work planned from the outset. ;)

[*yes, I'm sure somebody's going to cite this as evidence against the idea. I suppose I'm technically advocating for a process that currently sports a 50% success rate. :P ]