Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

what would you like to see more of from the doom community?

More E2 styled episodes. We have enough E1 styled mapsets out there already.

Fewer maps/mapsets that aren't loaded to the brim with microdetails and heavy detail.

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

It's always extra interesting to see projects coming from French, Russian, Spanish, or Japanese forums. You play them and and immediately sense a different philosophy present in the levels that is quite different from what the Doomworld machine considers best. The /vr/ releases are cool too.

Do you have any specific recommendations?  This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm intrigued.

I'd like to see umapinfo take off in prboom+, so that more prboom+ mapsets can breakaway from the usual map15 > map31 > map32 secret exit structure.

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- More people pestering me to finally start a mapset.

Why aren't you making a mapset yet?

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- Cloning Jimmy/Stewboy a few times so that we have even more awesome music.

I'm all for this idea of what I am interpreting as "closet" composers showing off their talent and what they are capable of.

I have been dusting off my skills from back in 2005 recently.  One of these days I'll start making stuff that will fit well with Doom and will sound decent through the default MS synth with its low poly limit and lack of working GS instruments (as opposed to just using a soundfont based off of it).  So far that hasn't been the case.  I'm also juggling around a bunch of other obligations as of late.

I'd say we're doing pretty well regarding diversity at the moment. There's lots of different things for people to play, and lots of different things to talk about. Regarding future projects, I think Xaser is right on the money that making maps for a specific gameplay mod (or having the mod built in tandem with the maps) is a great idea that would feel particularly fresh in the face of a lot of the larger, more traditionally "Doom"-y projects that are always in the works. For me personally, I'd really like to see more high-concept stuff (what a surprise), kinda like Hadepobia and ALT... stuff that's driven by a vision for a project.

I mentioned this in another thread, but when I first started mapping I had always wanted to make a mapset where the player's goal is to travel to a certain destination, like say an underwater ziggurat overrun with colorful seaweed, and they spend the first few handful of "prologue" maps building up their armaments in order to better survive said location. When they finally reach the "climax" map, it'd be this massive, sprawling two hour adventure with a Zelda-like progression system, where you backtrack through an area after gaining a new weapon, or ability, or after changing the map geometry. It'd be cool to not only figure out a really clever layout that would keep a +2 hour long map interesting, but you could do some cool lore-building with those locations too, showing how the towns in the "prologue" map worshiped the seaweed temple and built a culture around it. Plus it could generate some interesting new art assets and enemies for it, though the problem with these projects is always cultivating the talent that will bring these ideas to life... it's probably why these ideas don't escape the conception phase.

things I'd like to see/do, some of which has already been mentioned:

- maps made for specific gameplay mods

- boom-ish maps for zdoom that use cool new monsters that go beyond what is possible in dehacked/mbf

- more spritework on par with some of the really high quality custom spritework that's already been made by folks like Amuscaria. I would be willing to contribute some $$ to talented people to do more of this

10 hours ago, Decay said:

-yes-

[...] Jetsons [...]

those were good times. I wish the wikipedia page had some more history though. I remember having such a good time in the really early days when essel started the jetsons. I wonder if anyone still has IRC logs from when the jetsons were really still active? @esselfortium @zap610 ?

jetsons in space

2 hours ago, Mason. said:

I'd like to see umapinfo take off in prboom+, so that more prboom+ mapsets can breakaway from the usual map15 > map31 > map32 secret exit structure.

I generally like the idea, at the same time I feel like the "self respecting mapper has to make a +30map megawad trope" is something we need to do away with. Memfis said this somewhere else already, and I fully agree. Not saying I don't want any megawads, or that people shouldn't build them if they like to do so, but I feel like the 32m-sets are not necessarily the bee's knees. The reason I still agree with you, however, is that such an extension for boom would be really nice to have for boom format community projects, for example, so there certainly is a potential "use case" for this.

So, quintessentially, what I would like to see are more, smaller sets, instead of the huge megawad stuff. Looking at the cacowards, there are good examples for how one does not have to make a megawad and can still deliver an amazing project, be it "Stardate", "Saturnine Chapel", or "shadows of the nightmare realm".

Heretic and Hexen maps are almost always a nice surprise.

Bite-sized mapsets are a good thing as well--something you can play in an afternoon and finish

also I agree with Glaice--more Ep2 please

8 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- More people pestering me to finally start a mapset.

I've been bugging you for over a year now >:l

To get selfish for a second, I'd love to see (and eventually try making) more "demake" total conversions which translate a classic game into the classic Doom format.

Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch introduced me to Doom when I was much younger, so I think the outreach element of accessible demake TCs could make others more aware of the scene as a whole. This recently happened with Castlevania: Simon's Destiny, also. One condition here is that I'd rather see a focus on authenticity to the source material rather than obviously diverging to make something which plays, looks, and/or sounds more like a fan fiction than the original. MM8BDM focuses on approximating the functions of that series's weapons in polygonal 3D, alongside how physics works and what color/shading style looks closest. This all shows the flexibility of source port modding, and the TCs' proximity to other large and/or more traditional community projects could turn out for the better. Simply putting the classic game into a Doom source port greatly changes how you play and experience anyway.

I'd love to see more critical perspectives on custom Doom content just in general. One Man Doom, the various streams Alfonzo and Tarnsman host, and YouTubers like Major Arlene and Custom Gamer/DaZ contribute a lot by playing through maps/projects and highlighting what makes them tick. Forum discussions are key to establishing the concepts, glossary, and specific understanding of Doom mapping and play, yet communicating all that in more accessible ways matters as well. Evolution of the WAD is a great example, though I'd love to see a more structured and beginner-friendly alternative.

Finally, we should make efforts to introduce the Doom scene to less well-off parts of the world, and to foster small but potentially greater communities wherever possible. Maybe getting college/university students like me interested in the games could help with this. (Simply getting a Zandronum LAN game started at my university, despite its fancy gaming and media library, can be a pain whether or not anyone honestly wants to sit down and play.) I also wonder how the Japanese mappers are doing now after releasing JPCP and individual projects to much fanfare.

33 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I feel like the "self respecting mapper has to make a +30map megawad trope" is something we need to do away with. Memfis said this somewhere else already, and I fully agree. Not saying I don't want any megawads, or that people shouldn't build them if they like to do so, but I feel like the 32m-sets are not necessarily the bee's knees.

I agree with this. A big part of why I wan't the usual secret exit structure to go away is so I can see more smaller mapsets be able to employ secret exits.

I'd like to see more interest on other, more complex Doom games, such as Doom 3 (or even Doom 64, right?). A reason I can see why Doom 3 didn't catch on is that you can't just make maps like in Doom 2 and expect them to be fun. You probably can almost as easily map for Doom 3 as for Doom 2, but a greater skill is necessary to "direct" the combat sequences to make them not suck.

And since Doom 3 is from 2004, making it 13 years old, why not move it into the classic Doom group?

Sadly I can't talk about Doom 4 because I played it too little. I hope it's doing better than Doom 3.

15 minutes ago, printz said:

And since Doom 3 is from 2004, making it 13 years old, why not move it into the classic Doom group?

It's different from 90's Dooms in quite a few significant ways and this won't change no matter how much time has passed.

11 hours ago, Nems said:

Unpopular opinion but more vanilla/chocolate/limit removing level(sets) because I'm sick and tired of Boom (compatible) level(sets).

Yeah, more of the same downtrodden stuff. What I like to see is people trying to experiment with ports' features and create stuff that hasn't been done to death yet.

Most of these 'back to the basics' projects are so painfully similar that I get little enjoyment out of playing them.

A good recent example would be the token Megawad Cacoward winner "No End in Sight". I'm sorry to say this, but these kinds of projects have lost me many, many years ago.

15 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Yeah, more of the same downtrodden stuff. What I like to see is people trying to experiment with ports' features and create stuff that hasn't been done to death yet.

Most of these 'back to the basics' projects are so painfully similar that I get little enjoyment out of playing them.

A good recent example would be the token Megawad Cacoward winner "No End in Sight". I'm sorry to say this, but these kinds of projects have lost me many, many years ago.

You know what Graf? Despite the obvious fact that you want people to test 'your port' the simple fact is people do the same 'downtrodden stuff' because people ENJOY THAT STUFF. I hate to break it to you, but the doom community does not revolve around making maps you enjoy, or maps in your source port.

Maybe you need to be more open, instead of outright abusing maps and their authors because they dont suit your taste.

On a happier note. I was wondering if a new catergory could be 'most promising upcoming mapper' It would give the person a huge confidence boost to know they've been recognised.

that criticism would make more sense if there were other level sets that felt like No End in Sight

of course they use stock resources and gameplay but the sensitivity and moodiness of the maps comes from another planet

in my opinion, of course

very tempted to do a write up of "the 25 best Doom 1 replacement episodes"; NEIS would take four spots in that list guaranteed

Maybe more Doom Builder/Mod creation/Slade tutorial videos & their separate thread in here.

Would help a lot of people to get into that stuff, especially mapping.

Not only tutorials but tricks & tips, like efficient traps and such.

DEATHMATCHES. YOU ALL NEED TO GET YOUR COLLECTIVE ASSES INTO MORE DEATHMATCH SERVERS.

Holy hell, that one warranted all caps. DM has been rising in popularity again recently I'm stoked to say so please join a server and contribute to the continued growth of the One True Gamemode™© today!

More online multiplayer players and clans.

See folks? This here is a Doomer with their priorities in-check.

Something to make vanilla style multiplayer cool again (nearly every mp server I find is modded so hard it barely looks like doom anymore)

My good man, it sounds like you need to hit up a Doomshack server on Zandronum/ZDaemon/Odamex. Classic style deathmatch has been cool as ice for a solid 24 years straight and I happily embrace this fact on my cluster. (Unless freelook counts as 'too modded' but I highly doubt that's the case for 99% of users)

More people pestering me to finally start a mapset.

rd you need to put a tart in a basket already ffs!!!! Seriously though, do it. Your knowledge of balance when it comes to SP Doomin' impresses the hell outta me. Heck, I remember I made some piece of shit vanilla map like a year ago and you were the only one to comment with appreciation for there literally being the exact number of rockets/shells necessary to complete the map (without frustration). I'd love to see your knowledge applied to a cohesive episode of 5 or more maps!

Edited by Doomkid

I'm of the view that Boom introduced mapping possibilities that have still hardly been explored (doubly so for Boom + Dehacked). So I'd like to see more people getting clever with Boom format maps. Relatedly: another mapset from mouldy, please.

6 hours ago, Dirk said:

Do you have any specific recommendations?  This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm intrigued.

French: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/3ha2

Russian: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/white2 (skip map20 for being a gigantic turd)

Spanish: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/clegacy

Japanese: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/jpcp

Less format/source port wars and bashes. It's kinda pointless. And more colourful stuff in Doom or experiments with contrasts.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Less bitching and more unique maps/sets.

You bunch of grouchy fucks ;P

Less bitching, less wars, less bitching, less spoiled people abd less bitching.....

Basically, less of bad things and keep dooming....and less bitching :D