Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

what would you like to see more of from the doom community?

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Yeah, more of the same downtrodden stuff. What I like to see is people trying to experiment with ports' features and create stuff that hasn't been done to death yet.

Most of these 'back to the basics' projects are so painfully similar that I get little enjoyment out of playing them.

A good recent example would be the token Megawad Cacoward winner "No End in Sight". I'm sorry to say this, but these kinds of projects have lost me many, many years ago.

Do you need a hug?

Because you sound like you need a hug.

More Heretic stuff: they come out occasionally, but not enough.  And somebody, finish HPack.

More Hexen stuff: still incredibly rare. A community project would be nice, the hub format can be workable if regulated properly.

More Strife stuff: the one thing we still haven't had yet is a full Strife megawad (CIF3's psuedo-TC comes the closest) - community project maybe? (see above point on hubs)

More (G)ZDoom stuff: this year has been surprisingly good, and there's still plenty more that can be done - particularly in the no-frills category. (analogues of various projects like 1994-tune-up, CC*, Slaughterfest etc. would be cool for example)

13 hours ago, SOSU said:

I would really just want 2 things:
1.More Heretic/Hexen/Strife wads and projects.
2.More "intermediate" projects for when you aren't a begginer anymore but are still not experienced enough to join one of the bigger projects.

Just made "Fucking Hexen" megawad

Just working on a megawad for Heretic and then another one for Hexen (better than the first - I learnt from my mistakes)

I agree with @Graf Zahl. Many vanilla wads with no gameplay modding are highly predictable, since you know what combinations of monsters and ammunition to expect. Nearly all kinds of encounters have been done to death. I say this based on my experience so far with Back to Saturn X, which while graphically and structurally innovative (all-new textures and huge maps), the monster encounters are all the same old thing.

I appreciate vanilla map sets because they strive to innovate using very few assets, but I think this is becoming too hard to achieve.

This means you'd better mod for GZDoom. But why not a more advanced engine altogether, like Quake or Doom 3? There's satisfaction in overcoming a challenge.

1 hour ago, Dutch Doomer said:

More old school vanilla styled projects, without any extra resources. Just pure Doom....

Here you go.

42 minutes ago, The Ultimate DooMer said:

More Strife stuff: the one thing we still haven't had yet is a full Strife megawad (CIF3's psuedo-TC comes the closest)

Working on it! (albeit more slowly than I'd like)

- More emphasize on speedrunning like demoset and competition projects etc

- Highlight the less-known mapsets,both new and old ones

- A.V style slaughter maps rather than current Bfg spamming hyped ones

- HD graphics with same old mechanics

2 hours ago, printz said:

I agree with @Graf Zahl. Many vanilla wads with no gameplay modding are highly predictable, since you know what combinations of monsters and ammunition to expect. Nearly all kinds of encounters have been done to death. I say this based on my experience so far with Back to Saturn X, which while graphically and structurally innovative (all-new textures and huge maps), the monster encounters are all the same old thing.

The mechanics of the fights actually do not bother me - what does is that most of the more basic projects not only replicate the same monster encounters but also the same kind of architecture with the same textures. Opening a Doom 2 megawad quickly shows that they are nothing more than just another Doom 2 megawad - most of the time the maps are totally interchangeable between them.

Back to Saturn X was one of the notable exceptions here - some mappers actually trying to push vanilla mapping to new limits. Whether it was successful must be left to the players, but I think it's still better than the 101st Doom 2 megawad with mostly Doom 2 textures and Doom 2 mapping style, preferably trying to replicate one of Doom 2's levels' concepts. Why should I play those?

2 hours ago, printz said:

This means you'd better mod for GZDoom. But why not a more advanced engine altogether, like Quake or Doom 3? There's satisfaction in overcoming a challenge.

Maybe because it's an entirely different beast? The prime advantage to Doom mapping is that it can be done in 2D. Get any of these later engines and that simple concept gets thrown out.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more mods for Wolfenstein 3D and Commander Keen show up around here. Maybe we could have a subsection for mods that aren't for Doom?

20 hours ago, Memfis said:

Have Doom programmers ever attempted writing some sort of a guide to working on ports? Like maybe they could explain the basics of how the rendering and all that stuff works in the original code. Or is it a cold world where you have to figure it all out on your own?

Have you seen this (http://fabiensanglard.net/)? Granted, it's a lot shorter than Fabian's other game source code reviews, but it's still interesting.

I love all you guys and gals that want more Heretic wads :D <3

I think that many was authors don't map for heretic because it's an entirely different beast compared to Doom.Corvus can have much more health and can take much more damage,the monsters are all mid to low tier and do less damage than the Doom ones and the Time of power turn the Doom like weapons into much stronger versions or entirely new "mass slaughter" ones.This makes the combat more like Serious Sam.I realized this when making My JOM5 map,the started out with big rooms and a lot of monsters but turned into a much smaller and less horde fight focused map.

Personally I would like to see more boom type levels that play around with all the extras that tend to be ignored. Some great features and some awesome tricks that people are just not aware of. 

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

DEATHMATCHES. YOU ALL NEED TO GET YOUR COLLECTIVE ASSES INTO MORE DEATHMATCH SERVERS.

My good man, it sounds like you need to hit up a Doomshack server on Zandronum/ZDaemon/Odamex. Classic style deathmatch has been cool as ice for a solid 24 years straight and I happily embrace this fact on my cluster. (Unless freelook counts as 'too modded' but I highly doubt that's the case for 99% of users)

Yea "vanilla" (or close enough) dm has been the standard for DM and CTF for several years, I don't know where you are looking........ and FFA dm has definitely been on the upswing in the past few months, I've seen a lot of new players joining servers across mapsets and it has been a very positive thing. What would be cool, IMO, is more bridging the gap between SP players and PVP players beyond 32 in 24. I realize it is difficult to convince people to map for game modes they don't play, but I'm not sure how many people have even tried playing PVP in a good, fun setting. SP and MP mapping are also so incredibly different to map for it could be a novel thing to do.

7 hours ago, anotak said:

thanks for the tip

So basically he wants people to do...exactly what you did, Anotak! but apparently you did it wrong, because your wad is, I believe he called it...'Visual Garbage' Doesnt look like any other wad i've ever seen. In fact, when you think about it...Your wad is EXACTLY what he wants!

On 12/11/2017 at 1:47 PM, Memfis said:

Have Doom programmers ever attempted writing some sort of a guide to working on ports? Like maybe they could explain the basics of how the rendering and all that stuff works in the original code. Or is it a cold world where you have to figure it all out on your own?

There are a ton of pretty good technical explanations out there already if you look. But chances are you might struggle to understand it if you're not a programmer. I don't think that's a problem that can be realistically solved.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:26 PM, dew said:

the repugnant memery of the speedrun community, like the enirvana craze

nirvana has 80 demos and btsx has 47.

More stuff like the Alfonzone; i.e. ZDoom/GZDoom focused mapsets that both look AND play good.

(and as an extreme long shot; the creation of the 'No Revenants Community Project' megawad, in which 32 good maps are made without Revs in Doom 2)

More original style levels that aren't obvious imitations of other mapsets. It's so boring when I download a new wad to play, see the first room, and immediately think "ok, this guy worships Darkwave0000/Ribbiks/skillsaw/Erik Alm/John Romero". It's okay to copy famous mappers' works once in a while just as some sort of technical exercise, especially if you're a humble beginner. But you really shouldn't let their art define your own.

More collaboration based community projects in the same vein as Mutiny.

I want to see a *ZDoom-based RPG. Not some hacked-up gameplay mod like Wrath of Cronos (which is impressive for what it is, but there's only so much you can do trying to shoehorn an RPG system into somebody else's maps), but a real, honest-to-God RPG with customizable character progression (not just choosing fighter/cleric/mage when you start a new game but actual stats and skills and stuff), loads of NPCs, quests, dungeons, loot, gear, consequences for decisions you make, and an insatiable, ravenous appetite for your time.

2 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

I want to see a *ZDoom-based RPG. Not some hacked-up gameplay mod like Wrath of Cronos (which is impressive for what it is, but there's only so much you can do trying to shoehorn an RPG system into somebody else's maps), but a real, honest-to-God RPG with customizable character progression (not just choosing fighter/cleric/mage when you start a new game but actual stats and skills and stuff), loads of NPCs, quests, dungeons, loot, gear, consequences for decisions you make, and an insatiable, ravenous appetite for your time.

The Doom engine has its limits, and you'll never get a super complex RPG out of it, but there have been a couple of decent action RPGs. Try Serpent: Resurrection and Inquisitor 3 if you haven't already.

^well, maybe no-one's gonna make a make-yer-own-party turn-based blob dungeon crawl like M&M 3 and all the other old classics in ZDoom, but I've always had a dream of making a huge, interconnected dungeon map where you can grab gold and old relics, trade em with NPCs for armour, food or directions to secrets, an Ultima-style menu for turning reagants into spells, which would become items you could activate from your inventory, and so forth, the map starting out looking super forbidding with lots of siegey checkpoints you'd need either insane skills or a packed inventory to beat, and when you did beat them a few NPCs would hear about it and move further down the dungeon so your base of operations changed as time went on...

more likely outcome is that I'll sit here hoping prboom+ one day learns to handle Strife-y concepts and meanwhile make nothing of the sort :))

If I hadn't gone and surgically replaced my face with a microphone you'd probably see me smiling, now.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:09 PM, rdwpa said:

- More people pestering me to finally start a mapset.

You should start a mapset.