Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 32 - Trust me, I'm as surprised as you are.

oops

Yes, after a long time in stasis (and a bit of nudging on the matter), the ASS is back! I will be holding a session on the 20th of December: the current time I have is 8PM EST, but considering I haven't done this in a while I'm open to changing the time to be a smidgen more suitable for other parties. The place will be the ASS Discord (or ASScord), which will be linked as soon as I can find the bloody thing Here it is!

As the date approaches I'll be compiling a suitable texture set and collecting themes and restrictions we can use: I would encourage you to PM me any theme ideas you have, just to keep things interesting. If you have any questions about the event, I'll see about putting up some rules in the ASScord to direct you to at a later date.

Now, I'm off to get the fan on my laptop fixed. A merry ASSmas to all!

Edited by Obsidian

Welcome back and god damn you. I thought I'd left this debacle of an enterprise for dead!

I am compelled to take part.

Interesting. I always thought #32 would be a compilation of the 32 best maps from previous sessions.

"The Best ASS in the World", "A Megawad of Great ASS", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

So, we are going to kill speedmapping as whole for the while. I don't think that 3 different speedmapping places and directions could keep their pace and not conflict with each other or find people who want do this everytime or play them after all. 

Of course, people have more trust in you than in me or eagle dude.  I don't know. I'm just trying to find logical reason behind this resurrection. 

I might join, depending on the themes. I don't really like the complicated setup of these things though. I miss the Doomworld Speedmapping Sessions, when it was just a weekend of speedmapping with the themes known beforehand, it was up to everyone's own discretion to complete their maps within the time limit and anyone could make as many maps as they wanted.

5 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

So, we are going to kill speedmapping as whole for the while. I don't think that 3 different speedmapping places and directions could keep their pace and not conflict with each other or find people who want do this everytime or play them after all. 

Of course, people have more trust in you than in me or eagle dude.  I don't know. I'm just trying to find logical reason behind this resurrection. 

mebbe work together? Pigeons have Eagle ASSes?

1 hour ago, Fuzzball said:

Excuse me no- ASS was before both of those fakers :P

Bring back ASS and kill off the competition!

Ok??????

Sorry if I disturb the fun but that comment is not cool bro. Unless that you're joking that is...

9 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

"eagle dude" I really like that mutual respect, pigeon dude.

Anyway, with these ancient sessions returning (ones I've missed so much myself that I had to make my own to relive speedmapping, that's how much I've loved these), I think there would be too many active sessions.

As I've said, I remember these. I likely would've participated more times but I had issues with my PC that led to sudden crashes.

Seeing as your session is on the 20th and will likely overshadow my session on the 23rd, I don't know what to do. I will do my best to participate. That's next Wednesday, no?

12 minutes ago, NaZa said:

"eagle dude" I really like that mutual respect, pigeon dude.

Hey, now you want to start an argument about respect after seeing the comments above? Sorry, not ideal to start one argument now and besides, your session will be overshadowed by this...

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Hey, now you want to start an argument about respect after seeing the comments above? Sorry, not ideal to start one argument now and besides, your session will be overshadowed by this...

I'm not trying to start an argument. Let's not derail this thread - it is not about drama, but about the revival of a well known and well attended speedmapping session that most people were waiting for. There's always private messaging for the other subject, but I'd gladly not as I thought drama has been done and dusted.

3 minutes ago, NaZa said:

I'm not trying to start an argument. Let's not derail this thread - it is not about drama, but about the revival of a well known and well attended speedmapping session that most people were waiting for. There's always private messaging for the other subject, but I'd gladly not as I thought drama has been done and dusted.

Ok. I'm just trying to say that this thing must be taken seriously, just like me or you when we tried to compile or host our sessions. That's all. And this will be my last post here, so don't worry :)

Any chance of an earlier start time/more flexible hours to make it a little more euro timezone friendly? 

I can finally play an ASS collection on the 32nd time of asking!

Nice to see this return honestly; now we have a glut of speedmapping sessions to look forward to playing in the festive period. Hope this doesn't overshadow Eagle 9 too much though.

Well this blew up. Let's see:

22 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

30+1 = 31 obsillyon gods sake

I swear I saw a 31st session thread when I searched. Did it not get off the ground?

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

People have been asking me to bring back the sessions for quite a while now and you can essentially put this resurgence of the ASS down to peer pressure. :P I'm not looking to derail any of the newer sessions with this, I can promise you. Who knows, if you like we can work out some sort of tandem affair: we can discuss it in PM if you want.

10 hours ago, Memfis said:

What about Into the Void?

What Eris said.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Any chance of an earlier start time/more flexible hours to make it a little more euro timezone friendly? 

I'd definitely like to: feel free to give me suggestions for better times. Date is a little more difficult with Christmas around the corner though and I lack the preparation to arrange the dual session system that was put in place in my absence.

And speaking of, if any of the old guard would like to try doing that system for this session I'd be more than happy to oblige. PM me!

On a final note: turns out I've gotten my laptop back quicker than I expected, so I should be able to organize things with more time to spare. I'll be here if anyone has any other pressing concerns.

And of course it had to be a Halloween session. :P

I reckon I'll keep this as 32. 31 can slip into the annals of legend as the ASS That Never Was.

@Obsidian most likely I'll step out(I don't know if this word is correctly) with pigeon sessions. 3 different sessions can make people tired and reduce interest in speedmapping. I don't say that I'll remove pigeons entirely, just take hiatus until time comes. So I believe that there won't be conflict of interest. But if you want discuss about it, pigeon server and pm on discord is always opened and I don't know, maybe I just take things way too seriously.

Only thing which makes me sad, that people didn't take those bird sessions seriously and even more after some recent negative stuff. Anyway, good luck. 

Omg, lesser known person who hasn't built a trusting name for themselves makes an event which isn't taken seriously, more-so after another session proves that trust shouldn't be given out on a whim; oh the humanity. Stfu about the bird sessions in this thread which has nothing to do with them you two drama queens. Just continue to hold your sessions and eventually people will trust them more; 3 and 7 are way smaller numbers than 31................................. but of course posting up drama in this unrelated thread only solidifies the image of why your sessions are not to be trusted.

6 hours ago, Fonze said:

Omg, lesser known person who hasn't built a trusting name for themselves makes an event which isn't taken seriously, more-so after another session proves that trust shouldn't be given out on a whim; oh the humanity. Stfu about the bird sessions in this thread which has nothing to do with them you two drama queens. Just continue to hold your sessions and eventually people will trust them more; 3 and 7 are way smaller numbers than 31................................. but of course posting up drama in this unrelated thread only solidifies the image of why your sessions are not to be trusted.

Alright.Let's stop right here. Let's put those things aside(like calling drama queens and such) and see how these sessions will work. I promise, this my last comment and if you have more stuff to say, please drop it in pm. 

Earlier time would be even worse for those of us here working! D; Well...if it's the same as it used to be...like the good old days ;P

3 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Alright.Let's stop right here. Let's put those things aside(like calling drama queens and such) and see how these sessions will work. I promise, this my last comment and if you have more stuff to say, please drop it in pm. 

Way to take the high road after posting this:

On 12/12/2017 at 0:51 AM, Myst.Haruko said:

You were free to take it to pm like NaZa did, but you wanted the last word so I'm going to perpetuate this derail, as I cheekily apologize profusely for my part in this. My point was simply that your comments were not necessary in this thread in the first place and only served to stir up drama with their wording. Having 3 sessions a month won't kill speedmapping; it'll strengthen it. Just keep running your sessions and regardless of whether-or-not they take a hit in participation now (which I suspect they won't) over time participation will go up; just stay consistent. Consistency is reliability and that can be trusted. Just keep up what you're doing, as you are doing good, but stop with the constant stream of self-pity because it gets old as a clear means of asking for attention. For the record, I want to see both eagle and pigeon sessions continue and thrive over time as they are overall a good thing, it's just the leadership that leaves something to be desired, and even there it's not a huge thing if consistency is present.

To put things in perspective, however, if I started a speedmapping event I would expect 0-1 other participants other than myself, so don't beat yourself up on other's participation like bonnie did, just be happy with your own work, as others' work isn't yours anyway (regardless of who's name is the "leader" in the credits; work is shared and knowledgeable people apply props as they're deserved, not just to the first name). And especially for you haruko; you're improving as a mapper and leading the pigeon sessions will be good for you if you just keep at it and don't give up. You can do it; you're skilled enough for it and you have the potential for even more growth. I look forward to your next map; it'd also be nice to see both you and NaZa make maps for this event, and ultimately that'd be better PR for your own events. Keep em up :)