Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Where do you go to find help with mapping issues?

Where do you go to find help with mapping issues?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• YouTube tutorials
    • Wiki/ Wiki tutorials
    • Other mappers/mapping groups
    • Look at the way other maps are built
    • Mess with it until it works
    • A combination of the above
    • Other

I am a new mapper, and have been running into a LOT of issues just getting my map built and functioning properly. 
The biggest issue I encountered thus far was getting my sky to look right. I went through tutorials on how to build skyboxes, how to stretch sky textures in MAPINFO lumps, nothing was working.

How did I solve it? I looked at Doom 2's first map. I built my outdoor area the way they did, and after a bit of finessing, it worked! 

So, I was curious. How do you guys figure out how to solve issues with your maps?

Back when I was new to mapping, I mostly messed with stuff until it worked, sometimes learned from wiki, rarely looked at other wads in an editor. It worked well enough to make myself technically knowledgeable about everything I needed.

Spoiler

I never became a prolific mapper, though, only a prolific answerer of editing questions. :P

I usually learn from wiki articles, probably because I'm a homeschooled nerd who is used to learning by reading.

FWIW, I might suggest that you start mapping in a simpler format like vanilla or Boom -- you can use the knowledge learned there in ZDoom mapping, and the learning curve isn't as steep.

3 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

FWIW, I might suggest that you start mapping in a simpler format like vanilla or Boom -- you can use the knowledge learned there in ZDoom mapping, and the learning curve isn't as steep.

many of the same concepts still apply and I find I'm not as limited on what I can do. I don't think that it's an issue with ZDoom mapping as much as it is just figuring out what I'm doing. :P besides, learning the harder way will hopefully make mapping easier in the future.

Welcome to the rewarding, and infuriating world of mapping. Searching YT videos, browsing the wiki, dissecting other wads with features you are trying to use, and tireless tinkering will get you where you need to be. And all the fine people on this forum will help, of course :)

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

How did I solve it? I looked at Doom 2's first map. I built my outdoor area the way they did, and after a bit of finessing, it worked! 

It's funny. I looked at that same map when I first started. Those missing textures on the walls outside really confused me. lol. I thought that was a "no-no". lmao. But it fixed my issue as well and I use that technique a lot now.

Asking questions on the forum always seemed like the most straightforward way to me. If you have A LOT of questions and you don't want to flood us, you can create a personal thread.

Been mapping for over 10 years now and can do pretty much whatever I want. Feels good man.

I learned from many different sources. Asking on the forums. Watching youtube tutorials. Opening other peoples files in a wad editor to view it's contents. Reading wiki's etc.

I suggest you do the same, or even just feel free to shoot me a pm if you want help with something :)

I started mapping with limit-removing only, and only moved onto GZDoom after a year, for a variety of good reasons:

1. It gives you a good feeling for how Doom was originally programmed (the limitations etc.) which then helps you understand why certain things in advanced source-ports seem strange or convoluted.

2. If you're just in limit-removing, the UI of GZDB (or even using DB2) is much simpler, which helps you slowly learn what everything does without overwhelming you.

3. You get better with the basics, which is what all good Doom maps are based on.  The advanced features can add spice and variety, but the fundamentals always win out.

These days I use the wiki more than anything, mostly because I'm looking up a specific ACS command or MAPINFO variable.  But before that, cracking open the IWAD maps and having a good peer at them is an exceptionally good way to learn good mapping habits.

Mostly just Googling for me, which usually takes me to a wiki, Doomworld, or Zdoom forums. It's also good to keep notes, mental or otherwise, of cool things that you see in maps that you want to imitate or just make you curious, technically. I have a folder of "reference" wads, for example. You should have a big leg up having played and reviewed so many maps!

As for formats, boom mapping has been a good way to focus on the fundamentals for me, but follow your muse! Speed/community mapping sessions have been good, too, since they give you deadlines that prevent you from going down unproductive rabbit-holes and give you a concrete, project-focused group to share thoughts and questions with.

I learned lots of stuff from youtube tutorials, reading wiki and listening feedback from community when I shared my first mapping tries. Oh and also I studied my favorite maps to see how things were made.

I don't see anything bad to jump into more vanilla formats like boom or limit removing when you start mapping. Well, I started from gzdoom udmf, but it was overwhelming so after few months of trying, I decided use boom and it was right decision. Now it's quite easier to create stuff in both formats. Really. 

I've always been a "take it apart and see how it works" kind of guy, at least from a mapping/developer perspective. Asking questions is a last resort, even if that sometimes means it takes me 5 hours to arrive at an answer that would take a 5-minute explanation. :P

[YMMV, as always.]

I'd look at other maps in the editor mostly and reread the editing books until it made sense or I stumbled onto a solution.  Nowadays I search the forums.

The best thing i do for learning new mapping tricks, or dispel some doubts is to look at other mappers maps, since that it's the easiest way to see how things work in action, for other things i tend to look wiki for reference, or if the issue persistes, then i do a search on the forums (doomworld and zdoom), most of the times someone else had encountered the same issue and has already asked how to solve it
....and if that fails, where the best thing you could do is ask on the forums

I didn't make much maps, but here is how I proceeded:

1.) I watched a couple of tutorials on the Webpage of DoomBuilder2

2.) I heard from Cosmic13 to use GZDoomBuilder2, so at some point I got used to GZDoomBuilder2

3.) For scripting questions I just asked Krawa for help. I tried to learn from the Wiki but I couldn't understand anything from there.

4.) When I saw something nice in another map, I just opened it up in GZDoomBuilder2 and tried to realize how the mapper did it.

5.) Not there yet, but I would just ask other mappers for help when I get stuck again. It's probably the easiest and best way, because trying to understand something from a Wiki page is like trying to learn from a script that your Professor gave you..... it's dry and has too much unnecessary stuff in it and it usually contains only the most basic examples, which isn't helpfull at all. Videos (with comments) are fine, too.

Edited by rodster

For the most part, I just experiment and continue to tweak something until it finally decides to work. Though for scripting (which I don't use much of) I usually have to consult the wiki for specific things because I'm just not familiar with everything I can do with scripting.

9 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I am a new mapper, and have been running into a LOT of issues just getting my map built and functioning properly. 
The biggest issue I encountered thus far was getting my sky to look right. I went through tutorials on how to build skyboxes, how to stretch sky textures in MAPINFO lumps, nothing was working.

So, I was curious. How do you guys figure out how to solve issues with your maps?

I think experimenting with different formats early on, and trying to complete a map in each format that seems relevant to what sort of map you would want to do is a good place to start. Before I started mapping in Boom, I tried vanilla of course, but I also looked into "doom in hexen" and UDMF for a bit. It really didn't take me long to realize what manner of format I would need for the kind of maps I want to make, and in the case of boom it's relatively easy to understand how certain things work just by virtue of looking at another map that does something similar to what you want to do yourself.

Once you got your feet wet, it's all about knowing what "building blocks" you have, and arranging them in such a way that you get the desired outcome. Eventhough scripting allows for things that you couldn't do as easily otherwise, I would suggest waiting with the scripting, and instead focus on the "normal" actions to get comfortable with the "manual" aspect of mapping to get the basics right.

I found it to be quite useful to start with a limited set of options to see how other formats expand on the fundamental concepts. That way you identify what the format of your choice is competent at a lot more easily, while it also reduces the odds of getting yourself hung up on "features for the sake of features".

Best way to get experienced is smaller maps, released somewhat more quickly, because that is how you can present your ideas, and gather feedback on what you could do differently and how. For the purpose of making things work that you have problems with, that's what stuff like the joy-of-mapping is there for, because it allows you to ask related questions, present your work, and rack up feedback fast. I feel like the idea of watching a dozen tutorials, and reading a bunch of "guides" doesn't do much for you in the long run, because most likely you will have a question that is somewhat situational and thus too specific to be answered in a general fashion.

TL;DR: Don't look for extensive tutorials too much, because mapping is a "practical" work in which "booksmarts" will only help you so much. If you have questions, just ask people instead of wasting time on tutorials that explain things you do not need/want to know.

I'd personally just make a forum post if it's something that you can't figure out in a few minutes of fiddling, I think