Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Payload4367

Dark Universe wad. Released.

Glad to hear about the camera adjustments - it also broke the atmosphere a bit how the computer that locked a door would also tell you how to unlock the door haha. One of the things I loved about Dark Forces was how it's "security systems" did not hold your hand and felt like you were really discovering ways to penetrate guarded facilities... the ice prison/arsenal that Kyle Katarn had to break into springs to mind, I must have spent at least an hour figuring that out as a kid. I have a switch-hunt fetish though and am an unashamed fan of TNT's Eternal, so there's some definite bias ;-P

Regarding monsters, I strongly dislike gameplay mods that are tied to the map. The realm 667 stuff is rehashed so many times, and even a single change can ruin gameplay (I'm looking at you, Rocket Zombie). The Golden Path in my opinion is to let gameplay modifications be a separate wad / project, and function as "plugins" that work on any wad, like the video you made with the DF mod. That allows the doom purists to play their way, the mod fans get to load their favorite gameplay mods, and/or they get to load a separate mod specifically for the pwad in question by the mapper if one is supplied.

1 minute ago, Vorpal said:

Regarding monsters, I strongly dislike gameplay mods that are tied to the map. The realm 667 stuff is rehashed so many times, and even a single change can ruin gameplay (I'm looking at you, Rocket Zombie). The Golden Path in my opinion is to let gameplay modifications be a separate wad / project, and function as "plugins" that work on any wad, like the video you made with the DF mod. That allows the doom purists to play their way, the mod fans get to load their favorite gameplay mods, and/or they get to load a separate mod specifically for the pwad in question by the mapper if one is supplied.

Thank you for this. I think I knew this and just needed someone else to say it, lol.

P.S. could you make these buttons toggle-able? 21:43

Just for the sake of flavor / immersion it would be cool to be able to undo the safety measures.

25 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

P.S. could you make these buttons toggle-able?

Hmmm...never thought of that. Great idea and I don't think it will be difficult to do.

You mentioned the DF series. I just bought DF, DF2, MystOTSith, JOutcast and Academy on steam a few of days ago. Walking down nostalgia lane and loving it. Ripped through DF in a night and DF2 in a couple of days. I'm just starting MOTS which is the only one of the group I have not played yet. Getting some good ideas/inspiration in the process.

All maps tested with a mod that have custom monsters + weapons and:

- Maps are cool but often you run into wide empty areas; in my opinion, is better improve these rooms with decorations like tech stuff, lights, and more.

- To many backbacks, really ( LOL );
- Textures are really cool. If you add brightmaps will be a masterpiece.
- Maybe, MAYBE, but I was very much affected by the lack of doom-style keys and signs. what you have scripted for the switches is beautiful but perhaps a little out of place and you risk turning in circles for a while before find the way;

- The almost total absence of an obstacle at the end of the levels (except the first). Current clashes can be clearly skipped running into the exit door ( so sad ).
- No PlasmaRifle? Why?........ ( i've missed some secrets, maybe it will be here ).

If you want to add some custom monsters,  this a little monsters list that will work great on these maps:

- Death Incarnate;
- DarkImp;
- Varius type of zombies; ( no rocket and no bfg: they are a finger in the @ss.... )
- Cyber Imp;
- Hade Elemental:  maybe you can use the Enanched Caco but the Hade Elemental will be a better work.

You need a tester? You find it (Y)

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:49 AM, Arch-vile90 said:

- Maps are cool but often you run into wide empty areas; in my opinion, is better improve these rooms with decorations like tech stuff, lights, and more.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm adding new details and improving the overall look as I go. I think the areas you mentioned have been, for the most part, touched up. Same with items/monster placement.

- Maybe, MAYBE, but I was very much affected by the lack of doom-style keys and signs. what you have scripted for the switches is beautiful but perhaps a little out of place and you risk turning in circles for a while before find the way;

I've been struggling with this from the start. I was looking for a different "feel" with the codes, even though I know I can do it all with keys. I've made lots of changes (including the removal of the camera interruptions). I just can't let this idea go for some reason...:P  I'm hoping the changes I've made will make it more intuitive.

- The almost total absence of an obstacle at the end of the levels (except the first). Current clashes can be clearly skipped running into the exit door ( so sad ).

The goal is to let the player exit quickly if they want, but doing so will deny them the needed ammo,health,etc. they may need in the next map. Still working on this concept. Trying to encourage exploration but also just let players blast their way through most maps quickly if they don't enjoy switch hunting:)

- No PlasmaRifle? Why?.......

It'll be there (BFG too). I plan on releasing this as a 6 level mapset in the next month or so(I'm almost done with map6). Would you be interested in playtesting when I have it closer to completion?

+Very nice looking atmospheric maps!

+Wasn't too difficult even for me. Played HMP.

+Liked all the secrets and exploration.

+Reminded me about System shock 2 which is always a great thing.

-Got "lost" a couple of times.

Idea: Maybe some different approaches / themes on future maps?

Got around to finishing last night, map05 is weaker in the mood/detail department but it has the best layout and gameplay of the set imo. Absolutely wacky layout, I felt lost almost the entire time (not complaining, enjoy getting lost), it felt like a futuristic madhouse changing shape on me - and with doorways at weird angles that feel like discovering a secret they are so "hidden in plain sight", a hallmark of Dark Forces that I have to give an appreciative nod to. I liked the generally wider playing areas and obstruction-free floors. 

Also to disagree with @Arch-vile90, I dont think there needs to be a buildup to a finale. That style of presentation has become cliche and downright expected for like... the last 10 years. It's nice to have a break from it, although a "big" setpiece battle would be welcome, actually map05's cylinder basement could be pretty badass if it had some heavier enemies portaling in, and less line-of-sight obstructions for more danger.

negatives:

• only 1 secret that I couldn't find, was hoping for your usual liberal scattering of fun nooks to unlock.
  • the speed/timing of the lifts feel unnatural, can these be made to mimic traditional doom lift timing?
  • 5-6 areas that are very sparse visually, like a single sector with bare walls and uniform lighting (incomplete? too difficult due to complexity of the 3d floor usage?). The plasma gun room for instance, or the lone caco in a corner after the RL/mancubus. Not a gameplay issue at all, just got accustomed to a higher level of detail / getting my bearings by landmarks in previous maps

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

Got around to finishing last night, map05 is weaker in the mood/detail department but it has the best layout and gameplay of the set imo.

Map05 was an early build, and I believe you're going to like the finished version. All maps (1 through 5) have lots of new secrets, item/monster placements, detail, areas and more plus more refined game play. So, hopefully,  they will be worth playing through again. I am wrapping up map06 and then I'll release this as a "part 1". Thanks again.

These maps are really cool and nice to look at. You even people from the Project Brutality mod impressed and wanting you on the team.

31 minutes ago, Rex705 said:

These maps are really cool and nice to look at. You even people from the Project Brutality mod impressed and wanting you on the team.

Thanks for the comments and videos. I'm also the author of the Dark Encounters mega wad, which you just did a YT set of videos on. Which were great by the way! I would be glad to work with this project. I'll pm you my email.

Thanks to everyone who downloaded, played and commented on this project. Your feedback has been very helpful. I'm expecting to release the finished project in 3 to 4 weeks. Until then, here are some new screen shots.

Screenshot_Doom_20180307_103538.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180307_103201.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180307_103834.png

Edited by Payload4367

Showing most of the changes in the final version of Map01. Looking to release 6 map set in a couple of weeks as part 1 in a series, and then I start working on maps for a new campaign exclusively for Project Brutality by the Project Black Mass team... And then start on part 2 for Dark Universe.

This looks so sick, nice space-horror vibe a la Alien and Event Horizon. Going to give this a whirl tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Ok I just beat the first level. Really impressive, not sure if I've ever played anything quite like it, very cool and well put together! I'll play the next level soon.

I did find one potential bug or error in this room. At this wall, you can open the door below by using the wall in the floor above. Not really a big deal but thought it seemed kind of strange.

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_115457.png

4 hours ago, nervewar said:

At this wall, you can open the door below by using the wall in the floor above. Not really a big deal but thought it seemed kind of strange.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll have it fixed by release which will be in a couple of weeks.

This was really nice work. It felt like I was playing a different game, just with a few Doom characters in it. I dont know if thats a bad thing or not, but I loved the atmosphere. Really shocking how far Doom mapping has come. Thank you for your efforts!

I had to link my acount here just to tell you this man .... your maps are beautiful and i fucking love playing them

now i'm gonna lurk again and wait for the next release ... good luck man, and may the doomguy be with you

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, kdoom said:

This was really nice work. It felt like I was playing a different game, just with a few Doom characters in it. I dont know if thats a bad thing or not, but I loved the atmosphere. Really shocking how far Doom mapping has come. Thank you for your efforts!

7 hours ago, Tharmak said:

I had to link my acount here just to tell you this man .... your maps are beautiful and i fucking love playing them

now i'm gonna lurk again and wait for the next release ... good luck man, and may the doomguy be with you

Thank you for the comments. Very inspiring. In the final stages of playtesting now.

On 12/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, Payload4367 said:

Had to show ya'll how cool this is with the DarkForces mod. Works smoothly until Boba Fett shows up randomly and shoves a rocket up your butt:)

Frikkin' beautifully done!

A couple of observations:

1. The map looks very confusing, but I understand that you have adjusted the door locks/keys to make them more intuitive.

2. Using the dianoga in a non-liquid environment (i.e., under the floors of the solid areas of the map) is un-intuitive. This is a largely invisible enemy, and the player should not have to guess its location, especially under solid floors.

14 hours ago, ReX said:

2. Using the dianoga in a non-liquid environment (i.e., under the floors of the solid areas of the map) is un-intuitive. This is a largely invisible enemy, and the player should not have to guess its location, especially under solid floors.

The maps are designed with vanilla doom 2 monsters. I was playing around with the Dark Forces mod for the hell of it, which randomly replaces the original monsters (with mixed results sometimes).

Thanks for the feedback.

7 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

The maps are designed with vanilla doom 2 monsters. I was playing around with the Dark Forces mod for the hell of it, which randomly replaces the original monsters (with mixed results sometimes).

Yes, I now recall the way the Dark Forces mod works. In light of this, I retract my observation about the dianoga.

Might I suggest that you incorporate the DF mod enemies, weapons, and items into your own? In that way, you can control how your game plays out.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:48 PM, Payload4367 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm adding new details and improving the overall look as I go. I think the areas you mentioned have been, for the most part, touched up. Same with items/monster placement.

I've been struggling with this from the start. I was looking for a different "feel" with the codes, even though I know I can do it all with keys. I've made lots of changes (including the removal of the camera interruptions). I just can't let this idea go for some reason...:P  I'm hoping the changes I've made will make it more intuitive.

The goal is to let the player exit quickly if they want, but doing so will deny them the needed ammo,health,etc. they may need in the next map. Still working on this concept. Trying to encourage exploration but also just let players blast their way through most maps quickly if they don't enjoy switch hunting:)

It'll be there (BFG too). I plan on releasing this as a 6 level mapset in the next month or so(I'm almost done with map6). Would you be interested in playtesting when I have it closer to completion?

Sorry for the late but my pc was sleeping for a long time ( GPU dead ).

I understood your point of view. A new style of doom maps then. Well i like, despite hit and run, trap where you must kill them all or die and maybe is for this reason that I was skeptical but it's always good to try new formats so do well: continue with this style, so as to distinguish your wad from others.

I downloaded the new version just now. Time to the dark universe!

Just saw this for the first time...

Very convincing, tasteful, meticulous and all round impressive offering. Supercool segue from business-as-usual to shooting action.

Wow!

14 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Hey, I've been playing these a bunch lately. 

Here is a compilation of UV-max runs played with Smooth Doom for each map, with a bunch of custom sounds and custom soundtrack by me for beginning of level 1 and parts of level 6:

Thanks to PAYLOAD4367 for the good times, cheers.

Leaving this here as well, as the thread still seems to be active.

5 hours ago, Arch-vile90 said:

I understood your point of view. A new style of doom maps then. Well i like, despite hit and run, trap where you must kill them all or die and maybe is for this reason that I was skeptical but it's always good to try new formats so do well: continue with this style, so as to distinguish your wad from others.

I downloaded the new version just now. Time to the dark universe!

Thank you. I took all your comments and criticisms to heart and hope you enjoy the final product. 

1 hour ago, Soundblock said:

Just saw this for the first time...

Very convincing, tasteful, meticulous and all round impressive offering. Supercool segue from business-as-usual to shooting action.

Wow!

Thank you for taking the time to try it out. Glad you enjoyed it.

I just heard about this PWAD yesterday, and since I saw it was from Paul Dechene, the author of Dark Encounters (which I've nominated for a 2018 Cocaward), I immediately downloaded Dark Universe. I am only about to start the 3rd Map, but I love what I am seeing thus far. I remember getting halfway through the 1st map, shaking my head and thinking, "Yea, this is going to be the new standard for PWADS in the future." 

My ONLY "gripe" is the consensus of everyone else: Difficulty in distinguishing the switches from the other patterns on the walls, etc. But it got much better in the second Map since I knew what to look for this time. As usual, the 'Master of Multi-Level Platforms' in a map did not disappoint.

I read a few posts ago about the author's decision to make custom monsters. TBH, I am not a fan of it, mainly because most custom monsters look "cartoony." BUTTTT...it also depends on the WAD. For example, if you take a Gothic-themed Doom PWAD and throw in mutated chimps, then it's painfully obvious that's not going to work. Paul Corfiatis' Doomed Space Wars utilized custom monsters (more or less upgrades from the originals). And it worked for that WAD because Doomed Space Wars' theme was set in the future and his custom monsters, being upgrades, reflected this. The moral of the story is that the custom monsters MUST match the theme of the game in order to be able to pull it off successfully. 

But the theme of Dark Universe is faaarrrrr from your typical Doom themed game. In fact, it's a WAD like no other thus far. So the custom monsters should reflect this. 

We finally have an author who thinks about the future of Doom PWADS. I already foresee a 2019 Cacoward winner for this one.

Looking forward to completing the demo, and I can't wait for the full Megawad! :)

Edited by dylux : Misspelling