Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paja

Rescue of Earth

Thank you,
We will add 20 levels to save the Earth because we want to finish it and at the same time start with a smaller planet

18 hours ago, paja said:

Thank you,
We will add 20 levels to save the Earth because we want to finish it and at the same time start with a smaller planet

I would advise against that first part, but it's your call captain.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Earth isn't getting rescued. Try rescuing a smaller planet first.

This made me lol

On 4/1/2020 at 10:07 AM, Doomkid said:

It makes me happy that this thread is still going.

I just found this thread and I, too, am happy.

Words to live by

Half of OP's pronouncements should be on some sort of "Deep Thoughts" wall poster, or perhaps in a fortune cookie.

~ Similarity is quite random ~

22 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

I just found this thread and I, too, am happy.

Half of OP's pronouncements should be on some sort of "Deep Thoughts" wall poster, or perhaps in a fortune cookie.

~ Similarity is quite random ~

20201008_040121.jpg

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

"Which custom monsters are you going to use in your project?"   "Yes."

That said, the editor view actually makes the map look, dare I say... interesting?  Once we get into the 3D view, there are still a lot of big featureless areas with textures that don't do them much good, but there are also some interesting bits here and there.  Item distribution still seems kinda sketch, see 1:20 or so.

What's the concept of this place?  It's a high-tech medical laboratory with... a warehouse just outside the front door (a warehouse empty except for a forklift, at that).  I know laboratories need supply rooms but this seems like it clashes a bit.

gaps arose after the cancellation of the disintegration of the room and wondered what to do with them

it is a data unit to the teleport which is then a few rooms lower

16 hours ago, paja said:

gaps arose after the cancellation of the disintegration of the room and wondered what to do with them

it is a data unit to the teleport which is then a few rooms lower

I don't really understand, to be honest.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Your map doesn't need twenty backpacks, trust me.

People say things like this and then don't understand why there's never a backpack around when they need one.

What if the player misses the first nineteen?  What then, smart guy

3 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

People say things like this and then don't understand why there's never a backpack around when they need one.

What if the player misses the first nineteen?  What then, smart guy

I perfer giant unmissable backpacks to put my other backpacks in.

ia5sow8kxqi11.jpg

1 minute ago, paja said:

The game had twenty levels, this is the first level

The game has twenty levels, so you put twenty backpacks in the first map? Are you sure you understand how backpacks work?

6 minutes ago, paja said:

in the game it looks like this

image.png.1576c1258007205853869daaa3db48c9.png

I mean, dude(?), maybe you're just wired completely differently from me, but even aside from the aesthetic judgment of whether that looks good or not, I can't imagine being able to look at it for any sustained amount of time... let alone use it as my visual feedback for engaging with an interactive game.

Also, at around 0:50, the texture tells me that the transparent wall is a pane of glass with a logo printed on it, but all kinds of plasma and fire and shit are passing right through it.  Maybe it's an empty space and the logo is a hologram?  Maybe it's an illusion?  Much like reality itself begins to seem like an illusion as I contemplate this project.

11 hours ago, paja said:

in the game it looks like this

It looked better in UDB. The point of having windows is that you can't shoot through them. This is a fine example of what I'm talking about. The project is overreaching in scope and isn't anywhere near polished enough. I'd rather play one decent map than a megawad full of things that are broken and mashed together. The fact that every map looks so similar to the point where I can't tell them apart doesn't help. I know this is harsh, but every time you upload a new video, I find even more glaring problems. I don't think you are understanding the feedback everyone is giving you. All I see when I look at this project is a bunch of passion going to waste, like watching someone who hasn't ever climbed up a staircase trying to conquer Mt. Everest. The only difference being, you don't need twenty backpacks to finish the first map of Mt. Everest.

I am not saying these things to hurt your feelings. You have put more time into these maps than most people will for their own. But you won't be able to ever finish this in a way that is satisfying to your self or other people if you don't take the time to learn. I bet you could make a great map in a week if you separated yourself from this timesink. And more people would play it. You would get good feedback. THEN after doing that for a while, you might think of taking on a bigger challenge. Not everything needs to be a megawad.

instead of glass I would have to put walls there, this time I'm innocent doom2 not set to glass

we have problems, we try to eliminate them because we enjoy it. but i will make a map, no mega wad

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

satisfying to your self or other people

This is two different things. If what he does is completely self satisfying and it a priority, then other people don't matter anymore. Just like your comments, which are becoming more and more like a trolling, despite the attempt to disguise it. Relax, nothing will change if he doesn't want to. )

33 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

This is two different things. If what he does is completely self satisfying and it a priority, then other people don't matter anymore. Just like your comments, which are becoming more and more like a trolling, despite the attempt to disguise it. Relax, nothing will change if he doesn't want to. )

It's just my opinion. I'm speaking from my personal experience, it's subjective. My advice to OP was to try tackling a smaller project first. It was a recommendation. He/she is allowed to do whatever they want. When you post something in a public forum, you get feedback, good or bad. If you think pointing out issues is trolling, I don't really care. If what you are doing is for self-satisfaction and you don't want people criticizing it, don't post it. I gave OP my advice, you gave no advice. You are criticizing someone for criticizing something, instead of doing that, why don't you take the time and make the effort to give OP some advice? Why do you always seem to have an attitude everytime I read one of your posts? As soon as I saw your username in my notifications I knew you were going to have an attitude. I don't think it would hurt to lighten up a bit instead of accusing someone of being a troll when they took the time to give a page and a half of feedback and advice. Yes, I think the wad has problems. I listed the problems I found. You know the difference between criticizing something )or making a joke) and trolling.  

If I'm making a wad, I want people to point out things that are broken or could be improved. I don't want them to be silent about it. Negative feedback is better than no feedback, that's how problems are resolved.

If what you are doing is for self-satisfaction and you don't want people criticizing it, don't post it.

Unacceptably. Everyone does what they want or see fit.

I gave OP my advice, you gave no advice.

why don't you take the time and make the effort to give OP some advice?

Why are you lying? I've already given him advice about credits.

You know the difference between criticizing something )or making a joke) and trolling.  

Exactly, that's why I mentioned it.

And don't make excuses. I didn't say that trolling is something bad (if it does not contradict the rules and does not contain obvious insults.) Sometimes it is much more useful than a hundred tips. However, if you yourself criticize others for such criticism, then you should not adhere to double standards. )

14 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

Unacceptably. Everyone does what they want or see fit.

Why are you lying? I've already given him advice about credits.

Exactly, that's why I mentioned it.

And don't make excuses. I didn't say that trolling is something bad (if it does not contradict the rules and does not contain obvious insults.) Sometimes it is much more useful than a hundred tips. However, if you yourself criticize others for such criticism, then you should not adhere to double standards. )

Look man, this conversation is just going in a loop. We are criticizing each other for criticizing each other for criticizing someones work. I apologize for not realizing you gave him advice about crediting people. I gave him similar advice about using copyrighted music. Now let's just try to get along, okay?

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Look man, this conversation is just going in a loop. We are criticizing each other for criticizing each other for criticizing someones work. I apologize for not realizing you gave him advice about crediting people. I gave him similar advice about using copyrighted music. Now let's just try to get along, okay?

No problem. )

we are working on this reworking of points
1 texture comparison
2 levels for short distances
3 replace the backpacks with amo
4 find out how glass is made 
5 Merge or remove redundant rooms
write me more about them in terms of smaller maps, I think I'll plan it first
this will help me

image.png.be0204be55317bd68f03a829684bdc5a.png

Edited by paja