Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paja

Rescue of Earth

i have a google translator

there was a question on glass that unfortunately I can't technically do for that reason

5 minutes ago, paja said:

i have a google translator

there was a question on glass that unfortunately I can't technically do for that reason

It's okay. Don't feel bad about a language barrier, it's not your fault. You have passion and you reply to everyone, that is all that matters. I am being serious when I say you have a lot of passion and ambition, much more than most people have. I am a fan of you, as a person.

OP, I'm sure that you could do solid transparent "glass" sectors using some sort of self-referencing sector trickery, or something along those lines, even in vanilla.  Advanced sourceports such as the ones you're mapping for may have other options for that as well.

I think probably the vast majority of us got our start mapping by opening an editor, filling some boxy sectors with a rainbow vomit of textures and items, and being amazed at what we'd created.  The question is, does one stay at that sort of an early stage or progress meaningfully past it?  Progressing past it requires being able to look at what one has created and accurately discern the answers to a couple of key questions:

-Does what I've just done look right/good (whatever that means in a particular context)?

-(If not) What do I need to do to rectify or work around the shortcoming?

I'm able to make this statement not because I am the world's most accomplished Doom mapper (I'm incredibly far from it), but because these questions are at the heart of improving oneself in, I daresay, any creative endeavor-- writing, drawing, photographing, painting Warhammer miniatures, and yes, Doom mapping.  

This is the reason why I'm picking on you for your illusory holographic glass, incidentally.  When you go "I'm going to make some decorative panes of glass in my map!", and then test your map, you should (a) notice that plasma fire is sailing right through where the glass should be, and (b) realize that it looks wrong and ought to have something done about it.  The problem here is not that the very first thing you tried for the effect you were going for did not work out—I cannot tell you how many times that's happened to me—it's that (as far as I can tell) you did not have the immediate reaction of "welp, guess I gotta fix this before it's ready to be shown off."

Edited by jerrysheppy

2 hours ago, paja said:

4 find out how glass is made (it is not possible )

Seemed like you'd given up.  Perhaps I misunderstood you or the sense got mangled in translation.

Anyway, I went and Googled for you, and lo and behold, our very own Doomworld has a tutorial on the technique for making shot-blocking windows in (I believe) vanilla:

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx5.php

And as I say, advanced sourceports may have even more elegant (that is, less hacky) solutions; I don't know but you're the one who's trying to do these things.

Again, first step is discerning that you need such a technique in the first place, rather than seeming to think your current approach is cutting it.  You can't search for what you don't think you need.

write me what besides the windows we have to improve so far I'm working on those five points

How many of you have played all twenty levels correctly, if I want to change that, they need your opinions

This is an old version of the new one with your participation in catching bugs, the new one I'm working on is glass

backpacks to the remaining 8 remaining AMO
. the glass is functional
.wolf 3D is removed by texture aligned enemy goes gradually up etc. unlike the original more hell at this level 1/4 i will do the second any question reminder i will be happy

Edited by paja

Hey OP, I watched some of your most recent video.  I have to say it's actually looking better than what I saw previously.  The heavily modded gameplay still isn't much to my personal taste, but that's okay. 

Here are a few reactions that the first 10 minutes or so of the video leave me with:

- What is the concept of this level and how does it signal this to the player?  We go from some sort of ancient temple straight out onto a street in what strikes me at first as a street in an apartment block or other dense residential area.  Next we go into some sort of shiny corporate or government laboratory that doesn't really seem to fit with what we saw of the building exterior.

- Is it a deliberate choice to not unpeg your doortrak textures?

- I keep seeing secret messages pop up in what look like perfectly normal areas along the path through the level.  How are you deciding which areas to flag as secret?

-Around 10:30 we briefly enter an area of much blander silver texturing.  It doesn't go on too long, but it's a good example of a place where an experienced mapper would go 'okay, I should spruce this up somehow.'  If you were already planning to go back and do another detail pass, that's good.

And I also have a more general question for you, something I've become curious about.  Who or what would you say is your mapping inspiration?  What maps that others have released would you hold up as your benchmark of what constitutes a good quality Doom experience?

(Incidentally, I hope what I'm saying is understandable via whatever translating or English-reading resources you're using.  If I need to rephrase a question, please let me know.)

On 10/13/2020 at 3:06 AM, jerrysheppy said:

Hey OP, I watched some of your most recent video.  I have to say it's actually looking better than what I saw previously.  The heavily modded gameplay still isn't much to my personal taste, but that's okay. 

Here are a few reactions that the first 10 minutes or so of the video leave me with:

- What is the concept of this level and how does it signal this to the player?  We go from some sort of ancient temple straight out onto a street in what strikes me at first as a street in an apartment block or other dense residential area.  Next we go into some sort of shiny corporate or government laboratory that doesn't really seem to fit with what we saw of the building exterior.

- Is it a deliberate choice to not unpeg your doortrak textures?

- I keep seeing secret messages pop up in what look like perfectly normal areas along the path through the level.  How are you deciding which areas to flag as secret?

-Around 10:30 we briefly enter an area of much blander silver texturing.  It doesn't go on too long, but it's a good example of a place where an experienced mapper would go 'okay, I should spruce this up somehow.'  If you were already planning to go back and do another detail pass, that's good.

And I also have a more general question for you, something I've become curious about.  Who or what would you say is your mapping inspiration?  What maps that others have released would you hold up as your benchmark of what constitutes a good quality Doom experience?

(Incidentally, I hope what I'm saying is understandable via whatever translating or English-reading resources you're using.  If I need to rephrase a question, please let me know.)

I agree, the video looks better. I like the ancient temple aesthetic in the opening, you should experiment with more things like that, OP. If you can find a way to make it fit with the rest of the wad aesthetically, it would be cool. Maybe a concept like a UAC lab/private city built around a temple so they can research it? I also agree with the other points, and always lower unpeg your door textures so they don't slide.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Looking good how's playing. Any Custom bosses will be added? Remind me of custom campains as style of Hell On Earth.

The slayer begin at UAC's excavations on Earth and are teleported to Mars

The secret area is mostly made up of old levels of useless rooms

I just don't understand the door

Edited by paja

the two rooms I make take a lot of time, so for comments, I'll be happy to say more later