Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

Doom WAD made for blind gamers

I found this incredibly interesting and pretty sweet, very glad to know that even the blind can enjoy Doom. Thanks for sharing!

I wish the contents of the video was better so that I could be a better help. The speaker fills 4.5 minutes with a lot of verbal nonsense and repeats himself a bunch. The actual substance of the video is very briefly skimmed over.

1. Impact detection system (???)

2. Unique sounds for item pickups

3. Sound cues for colored key doors and secrets

Is that it? What does any of that have to do with mapping? Shouldn't all of those features be in the form of a gameplay mod so that Toby can play anything? I'd be happy to make my maps more accessible but for a video about 'spreading awareness' it doesn't tell me anything that I need to know to help.

54 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I wish the contents of the video was better so that I could be a better help. The speaker fills 4.5 minutes with a lot of verbal nonsense and repeats himself a bunch. The actual substance of the video is very briefly skimmed over.

Is that it? What does any of that have to do with mapping? Shouldn't all of those features be in the form of a gameplay mod so that Toby can play anything? I'd be happy to make my maps more accessible but for a video about 'spreading awareness' it doesn't tell me anything that I need to know to help.

MrAlanD1 made the maps, and also a gameplay mod.

There are two videos linked in the description of this video. One is the 15-minute documentary by dansg08 (who is the one talking in this video) with an interview of Toby. The other is the original video from MrAlanD1 that he was showing clips from as he talked.

The author appears to be @alando1 so maybe he could give us more information on what the mod consists of (although he appears to have last visited in 2013, so... maybe not).

2 hours ago, 40oz said:

There's a bit more information in the other video which interviews Toby himself. He mentions music in FFX as helping him determine what area he is in, and what kind of fight he has entered. Additionally he mentions splash sounds from liquid surfaces as another cue.

There used to be an fps made exclusively for blind people where it simulated sound propagation. You could tap the walls and hear doors and such. I don't remember it being fun, but it was a cool idea. 

Hello everyone. I know it has been ages since I've been on Doomworld, but I heard Linguica beckoned me, lol. I've been on the ZDoom forums more often and I released Temple of the Lizard Men 4 back in May. 

I have to say I was really happy Revved shared my project I did for Toby. Thank you for sharing it :)

Toby reached out to me back in May and I was touched by the documentary done by dansg08. After watching the documentary and hearing how much Toby really enjoyed my works, I wanted to do something special for him. I decided to program a special wad for him that would allow him to navigate Doom levels, both classic and custom made, more efficiently. In addition, I made a two level wad just for him. Toby had told me the accessibility wad had helped him a lot and he's able to enjoy more of Doom. He, too, enjoyed the two level wad I made for him.

I'm happy to see this being mentioned and it has been a pleasure to work with Toby and dansg08 in making this possible.

-Alando1

On 12/14/2017 at 3:16 PM, Revae said:

There used to be an fps made exclusively for blind people where it simulated sound propagation. You could tap the walls and hear doors and such. I don't remember it being fun, but it was a cool idea. 

There's also this which seems like it's something different from what you're describing, and I guess not necessarily designed for blind people per se so much as an experiment in making a game without visuals.

http://bethewumpus.sourceforge.net/