Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doomworld & The End of Net Neutrality

my buddies on social media seem to suggest we aren't gonna win this fight.

So what can we expect out of this? Could doomworld get denied in some ISPs service packages? Could the community lose some valuable members?

Edited by 40oz

Except it's not the end?

It still has to go through Congress and the courts before it happens and there's been claims (I'm not using the word evidence because I haven't found links to back it up yet) that the vote was illegal to begin with (which wouldn't surprise me).

Though (unpopular opinion incoming) if people are willing to throw in the towel now and tuck their tail between their legs rather than keep fighting then maybe they deserve to lose net neutrality.

Eh Doomworld doesn't use a lot of bandwidth such as movies, games downloading or music streaming sites. Nor is it a conflict of interest. Someone can prove me wrong.

1*NZaNH0SFe67HtTxKrPXkAg.png

PS: Living in Central America were the internet is pure crap, well... Im just used to shitty deals.

I agree, doom isn't a political issue. (I hope it stays that way)

17 minutes ago, geo said:

Eh Doomworld doesn't use a lot of bandwidth such as movies, games downloading or music streaming sites. Nor is it a conflict of interest. Someone can prove me wrong.

Spoiler

Consider taking a glimpse of this. It's by Razorfist.

2 hours ago, Nems said:

if people are willing to throw in the towel now and tuck their tail between their legs rather than keep fighting then maybe they deserve to lose net neutrality.

Yeah RIP INTERNET was already trending on twitter. 

If they can't even fight for this, then what will they fight for?

2 hours ago, 40oz said:

Could doomworld get denied in some ISPs service packages?

Why the fuck would a site for Doom even be on anyone's radar? It should be included in any package because it's just "here." I know someone said on another thread that a whitelist is easier to manage than a blacklist... well yes and no. A blacklist would be a much better approach for ISPs. Then they can take the most used and high demand sites and put them into a "package." Note that I'm not supporting the repeal, I'm just saying that if we have to deal with it then this is how I'd want it done.

I wouldn't mind the approach of let's allow all sites like before... until we find one that is malicious, inappropriate, bad, whatever, and only THEN block it. I don't think anyone would have a problem with a malware distribution network being blocked by ISPs instead of relying on browser extensions and browsing habits to do it. That's about the only good thing we'd hopefully get out of no more net neutrality.

Wow he could literally not care less that he's shitting on the very concept of communication and sharing ides. I mean, I already knew this, but seeing video footage of him in the act of not giving 2 fucks greatly annoyed me

Guys let's do this if Congress allows it to continue...

1) Refuse to upgrade your internet packages

2) Cancel your internet services

3) Wait

4) ISPs will lose money and make less than they did before

5) Government will get complaints and shit loads of backlash from failing ISPs

6) ???

7) Net Neutrality gets reinstated

8) Profit

39 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I wonder how many people can do this nowadays. Oh, well. Time to find some public hotspots.

I dont understand how Doomworld would be effected in any way. I'm sorry but in terms of the internet, doomworld is insignificant. its important to us, but not to the big companies. Sites like Youtube, Netflix and such would be the ones hit.

3 hours ago, Glaice said:
  Hide contents

Consider taking a glimpse of this. It's by Razorfist.

a good argument against net neutraility is that you won't have to watch razor fist videos ever again.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Guys let's do this if Congress allows it to continue...

1) Refuse to upgrade your internet packages

3) Wait

4) ISPs will lose money and make less than they did before

5) Government will get complaints and shit loads of backlash from failing ISPs

6) ???

7) Net Neutrality gets reinstated

8) Profit

Are you American? A lot of areas in this country only have access to a single provider.

1 hour ago, Phade102 said:

I dont understand how Doomworld would be effected in any way. I'm sorry but in terms of the internet, doomworld is insignificant. its important to us, but not to the big companies. Sites like Youtube, Netflix and such would be the ones hit.

Like most sites im gonna say a good portion of the users here are American. If NN gets revoked prices for internet are probably going to go up by a lot which means less potential people to use this site.

It's interesting to note that the FCC has numerous lawsuits stacked against them at this point from a number of states and corporations, a ton of ongoing or attempted investigations, and the combined warchests of Apple, Google, and Netflix against them. There's even talk of Disney starting their own streaming service. Can you imagine if "Fox is ours" Disney got involved? The length of copyright terms alone should be a testament to their string-pulling.

It's also utter nonsense that the desires of the common people can not only be completely disregarded, but also so childishly mocked. The fact that Americans are so helpless in the face of these pocket-stuffing megacorps despite the support of local governance is horrible. It seems the only way to get something done is to have enough powerful corporations on your side, and hope that Godzilla doesn't raze the city once his opponent is dead.

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

Oh yea i forgot to mention. The girl on the right to ajit is a pizza gater if you want any more terrible on top of this video.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Why the fuck would a site for Doom even be on anyone's radar? It should be included in any package because it's just "here." I know someone said on another thread that a whitelist is easier to manage than a blacklist... well yes and no. A blacklist would be a much better approach for ISPs. Then they can take the most used and high demand sites and put them into a "package." Note that I'm not supporting the repeal, I'm just saying that if we have to deal with it then this is how I'd want it done.

what is it about the end of net neutrality that suggests to you that ISPs are going negotiate with you on how they conduct business?

Doomworld is way too low-key to be a good target for one of the major ISPs, and not very bandwidth-heavy so even with throttled connections you'll probably be able to read what people post here. Downloading huge pk3s is probably gonna be a bitch though.

4 hours ago, Phade102 said:

I dont understand how Doomworld would be effected in any way. I'm sorry but in terms of the internet, doomworld is insignificant.

This is precisely why we are worried. Small sites/businesses are the ones that will get fucked the hardest by this scam and we have the least power to combat it.

One of the biggest concerns here is that "real" internet access will become far too pricy to be worth it for the common schlub, so "basic cable" internet access plans with, oh say, 50-100 approved sites available will be the most economic plan and thus the one most people choose. Most megacorp sites that account for like 80% of overall internet use won't have nearly as much to worry about as they are all likely to be included in this theoretical "basic cable" internet plan. Basically it's the plan to give people just enough internet access to stay signed up and stomach the pain of having Ajit Pai's hotdog of internet totalitarianism stuffed into our glory holes.

This is why regulations are important and true free market capitalism is a recipe for dog shit. Someone has to keep businesses in check or they will fuck consumers harder and harder and no one other than the government has enough power and influence to keep them in check. Free market capitalism unchecked leads to worse conditions for the consumer invariably.

If this all sounds cynical, just remember - if you expect things to turn out fine and they don't, you're in for a heaping dose of disappointment. If you expect everything to turn out shitty but it doesn't, you get to experience a pleasant surprise.

CHIP ending: I sleep. 

Slower internet: REAL SHIT 

NN will be back during the next Dem administration anyway so I don't understand the apocalyptic fearmongering. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

CHIP ending: I sleep. 

Slower internet: REAL SHIT 

Dank memes <3

I wanna know what parts of the world get affected by this :)

16 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

NN will be back during the next Dem administration anyway so I don't understand the apocalyptic fearmongering. 

Well shit, that's a worry, I'm by far more aligned with democrats than republicans but the party is a global laughing stock at the moment for being choc full of infighting and having priorities completely out of whack. The same is true of republicans of course, but they just seem to wear it better in terms of public image and thus in terms of getting the average person's vote (since unfortunately the average doofus could give a shit less about policy and is very concerned with "how confident the candidate seems")

3-8 years of no NN still sounds like hell anyway. The only possible guarantee the shitfest doesn't go on even longer than that (if NN is indeed repealed) is for the left to get it's shit together, stop burning bridges with allies and collectively focus on taking down extremist right-wing shit, such as the NN repeal for instance. When the left works as a somewhat cohesive force, America benefits. When we infight constantly rather than focusing on areas of mutual outrage, republicans take the baton and run off with it leaving our broken asses in the dust.

6 hours ago, Ajora said:

This is what happens when sociopaths pretend to have a sense of humour. 

Most of them just dress like clowns.