Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doomworld & The End of Net Neutrality

1 hour ago, 40oz said:

what is it about the end of net neutrality that suggests to you that ISPs are going negotiate with you on how they conduct business?

Because don't you know, the customer is always right.

Sadly, while I 100% feel for all americans who are going to start getting ripped off, the fact is the internet is a major part of peoples lives now. They will charge you more because they know you'll pay it.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Because don't you know, the customer is always right.

Ask @Ajora if Wendys will make you a taco.

5 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Ask @Ajora if Wendys will make you a taco.

I'll have a Big Whoppernatorito Supreme with extra tartar sauce.

For thottling to work as an incentive to upgrade, then every site not white-listed must have it's performance noticeably degraded. While any forum is low bandwidth when averaged over the time spent browsing, I will expect individual page loading and navigation at Doomworld to become slower.

36 minutes ago, Decay said:

Every time I see a still of that guy with those ugly-ass glasses reminds me strongly of

bebop-concept-art-1280jpg-4cf7c0_1280w.j

This is awesome

I've been afraid to click that video given the thumbnail and my mind just instantly assumed it was a joke.

learning that its real might actually be worse than watching it. fuck

He's using a fidget spinner and saying you can still ruin memes. I'm pretty sure that video is one big troll, he even bursts out laughing at the end of it.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

For thottling to work as an incentive to upgrade, then every site not white-listed must have it's performance noticeably degraded. While any forum is low bandwidth when averaged over the time spent browsing, I will expect individual page loading and navigation at Doomworld to become slower.

You're forgetting the option they now have to block sites at will. To implement the so-called "basic internet" tier all they have to do is refuse to provide you DNS lookup to anything except their whitelisted list of allowed sites, and then block DNS lookup traffic to anything other than their own DNS servers.

8 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

He's using a fidget spinner and saying you can still ruin memes. I'm pretty sure that video is one big troll, he even bursts out laughing at the end of it.

I don't think he's trying to troll people. I think he's legitimately trying to make himself look cool and win people over. 

Saying you can still ruin memes and then laughing at the end of it? I think he's messing with people. It doesn't sound like he's trying to win people over, it sounds like he's making fun of them.

If you have any doubts, you should watch the stream of the vote from yesterday where they openly mocked the Democratic board members' dissention.

6 hours ago, Ajora said:

Clothes don't make the clown. 

I'm pretty sure face paint makes the clown.

6 minutes ago, geo said:

I'm pretty sure face paint makes the clown.

That's not how it works. Dressing up as a clown doesn't automatically make someone a clown, much like how dressing up as a doctor doesn't automatically make someone a doctor. 

29 minutes ago, Ajora said:

That's not how it works. Dressing up as a clown doesn't automatically make someone a clown, much like how dressing up as a doctor doesn't automatically make someone a doctor. 

I don't need to go thru 8 years of med school to take a pie in the face.

25 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

I don't need to go thru 8 years of med school to take a pie in the face.

You're ignoring a large amount of the comedic timing, setup, and overall panache required for making the classic pie to the face gag properly work.

Edited by Ajora

DUDE THIS CLOWN CONVERSATION IS SO AWESOME IT SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN THREAD

Less talk about net neutrality, more talk about clowns and pies. Anyways, I almost forgot how much I loved My Father the Clown. It's great that all the episodes are on Youtube. 

19 minutes ago, Ajora said:

You're ignoring a large amount of the comedic timing, setup, and overall panache required for making the classic pie to the face gag properly work.

I don't think anyone has ever taken years and years to set up a joke.

Unless you count Ajit Pai's entire existence. 

14 hours ago, Nevander said:

Guys let's do this if Congress allows it to continue...

1) Refuse to upgrade your internet packages

2) Cancel your internet services

3) Wait

4) ISPs will lose money and make less than they did before

5) Government will get complaints and shit loads of backlash from failing ISPs

6) ???

7) Net Neutrality gets reinstated

8) Profit

You forgot the part where ISPs lobby congress to make Internet access mandatory.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Because they need to go to clown college?

According to the Fight For the Future Twitter and newsletter, lawmakers are already planning to overturn the vote. Maybe 2017 won't finish off as shitty as it started.

Although I learned to expect the worst because I'm a pessimist, so

5a342ebaa3524_ScreenShot2017-12-15at1_18_11PM.png.58add3818e0432d02f48824e1e8e2ad9.png

The artist that wrote the song 'Harlem Shake' has announced that he'll be taking legal action against Ajit Pai for using his song. All of the people applauding him and calling him a hero might want to look into fair use laws. This isn't going to do any good for anyone. 

https://twitter.com/baauer

The people cheering don't realize that, when they allow crap like this to happen just because it's against people they don't like, it sets a legal precedent and then it's used against you too. It's a double edged sword and they don't realize it until it swings back against them.

Was talking with a few others about the implications of NN and thought it was relevant and inoffensive so I'll share it. This in particular is a refutation of a Rush Limbaugh article.

The internet, up until two or three years ago when people started getting crazy about net neutrality, the internet is the one communications medium that was not regulated, and look at how it expanded, and look at how free it was, Rob. The New York Times, the Washington Post, you name it, enter the internet and everything is free. They’re charging their subscribers the same thing, but on the internet it was free. Everything was. Everybody got on board. There wasn’t any regulation. There wasn’t any limitation. It was the wild west. It was the essence of customer and market freedom.

This is exactly what we're aiming to retain, though. Making it legal for ISPs to block wide portions of the internet is going to kill this very spirit that he's praising. As it is now, your new site for your new small business, no matter how small, can show up on Google and other popular search engines with as much likelihood as any other site. What we currently have in place with Net Neutrality is exactly what has allowed for the internet to boom like it has in the last 30 years. His claims that the internet was "completely unregulated until now" are simply not accurate. Rolling back NN will kill this. Your access to small sites is not slowed down or sped up arbitrarily by ISPs, as that is currently illegal - You're simply given a download rate and speed depends solely on the location and power of the server (website) you're connecting to. With Net Neutrality rolled back, speeds to small sites will plummet on affordable plans that 90% of people use and will only be able to be accessed in their full-speed glory with unrealistically expensive internet plans.

You know, people who have been propagandized or brainwashed (for lack of a better term) to believe that the government offers the solution to every injustice and every unfairness out there

Government regulations are the only reason we don't have child labor in this country. It's the only reason working conditions have to be safe by law. Without regulations, businesses are free to engage in whatever sick practices they please to give consumers cheap prices. As the average person only has a limited income, they will be forced to go with the cheap option, even if they disagree with the morality of the corporation providing the goods. Without government regulation, monopolies pop up and squash competition. No one can stop them from engaging in sick practices without government regulation. This entire argument for "true free market capitalism" is fundamentally flawed in that it seems like people read some Ayn Rand and took it for gospel. Sorry, but the corporations do not care about public wellbeing as long as profit margins. Conversely, successful governments have to to prevent full blown social upheaval and remain a powerful contender, globally speaking.

It’s an emotional attachment that they have, and I’ve found that even a solid recitation of facts that dispel everything people believe often is also ineffective. It just causes people to become more distant and build an even bigger wall of boundaries to prevent the facts from getting in, because there has been a comfort level that has been built around the misunderstanding of false knowledge.

Sorry, but history disagrees. I point you toward per-regulation industrial America. Countless on-site deaths. Child labor. You name it, it will come back if we allow "true free market capitalism" without any regulations or rules.

But you’re being bombarded by television, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Bluetooth LTE, LTE on cell. You’re being inundated with radio waves from television antennas. It’s immense. We’re all inundated. It doesn’t mean anything. It’s not a health thing.

Ok, so it's not a health thing. Why did you bring it up then? Where does the "bombardment" from these signals come into it if it's "not a health thing"? Weird side rant there Rush.

When liberals want to regulate something, Rob, it’s not for fairness, and it’s not for equality. It’s to punish.

Sorry but no. We just want fair and equal access to all the content on the internet without the corporations deciding what sites are "best for us" via arbitrary throttling.

"If it looks like censorship and it smells like censorship, it is censorship."