Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Trying to replace chainsaw with a faster chaingun in Boom DEHACKED...

and failing. What am I doing wrong? Here is what I have so far:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0
# Created with WhackEd4 1.2.0 BETA
# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Frame 67
Duration = 1
Next frame = 67

Frame 68
Next frame = 68

Frame 71
Duration = 3

Frame 72
Duration = 3

Weapon 7 (Chainsaw)
Ammo type = 0

Ammo 0 (Bullets)
Max ammo = 400

[CODEPTR]
FRAME 72 = FireCGun
FRAME 71 = FireCGun

I looked at the way chaingun works in "States" and tried copying the parameters as close as possible. I changed the shooting duration to 3 and max ammo to 400 because I want it to be like in Disturbia. I'm hoping to eventually change the chainsaw sprites to the Disturbia ones too. Is what I'm trying to achieve possible? Am I on the right track at all? Why am I getting weird hybrid weapons? Maybe I know too little to even be attempting this? I admit I have barely any idea of what I'm doing.

Use FirePistol instead of FireCGun, the latter has unintuitive hardcoded behavior for its muzzle flash and its side effects tend to be catastrophic. You get hybrid weapons because your weapon plays a muzzle flash animation using wrong states.

Edited by scifista42

Hmm thanks, that solved the problem, but now I can sometimes get down to -1 bullets and then it keeps cycling between pistol and chainsaw forever... Is there a way around that?

I now have this (borrowed a frame from Wolfenstein SS because there are no more frames for chainsaw I think):

Frame 71
Duration = 3
Next frame = 726

Frame 72
Duration = 3

Frame 726
Duration = 0
Next frame = 72
Sprite number = 11
Sprite subnumber = 1

Weapon 7 (Chainsaw)
Ammo type = 0

Ammo 0 (Bullets)
Max ammo = 400

[CODEPTR]
FRAME 72 = FirePistol
FRAME 726 = CheckReload
FRAME 71 = FirePistol

But I still can get -1. Did I misunderstand something? (I assume you meant CheckReload? I don't see CheckAmmo in Whacked)

45 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I still can get -1.

I pasted your code into a .deh file and ran it in PrBoom-plus and couldn't get -1. Did you use another port? EDIT: It seems to work in some complevels and not work in others.

I guess ZDaemon's different behavior will make this impossible to work in it, like the type of pickups depending on the currently displayed sprite doesn't or didn't work in it.

I get -1 if I first make a single pistol shot first. If I start firing with an even number, it seems fine. (edit: ok, but that's only with complevel 9. with 2 it's always fine)

Btw I found the solution for ZDaemon: http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=11312 And I don't see any side-effects there, so that is exciting.

Just before you posted, I edited my post to say it apparently depends on complevel. Glad you found a solution.

I'm not sure why you're using frames 67..72. The default chaingun frames are 49..56.

This is all I had to do in DOTB to make it work:

dUZrQWR.png

No no, I want it to replace the chainsaw (so that the original chaingun still exists).