Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Percival232

Doom 2 Arcade Machine In "Grosse Point Blank"

So I was watching this movie yesterday and was s h o o k when i saw a Doom 2 Arcade Cab In The Scene. Its Honestly Kinda Funny?

am i the only one who questions this entire thing? Especially since he is playing 2 different levels at the same time and is using a joystick and buttons?

27 minutes ago, Percival232 said:

playing 2 different levels

The arcade cab amazes me. Technically it should be 3, D2 Map30, 01 and 07. There's a short clip shooting a zombieman, and that looks like Map01 if my mind is fine. Anyway, I guess the movie doesn't have any actual knowledge about this thing, or they just want to make fun of it that people playing these games don't care what happens around them.

4 hours ago, Percival232 said:

am i the only one who questions this entire thing? Especially since he is playing 2 different levels at the same time and is using a joystick and buttons?

Thinking about it, vanilla Doom (or vanilla Doom 2) would work rather well from a playability standpoint in an arcade environment with a joystick and buttons.

Let's look at the joystick. You can't look up or down and aiming at things on different levels is handled automatically, so you only need to move along a 2D axis. So a joystick could handle movement perfectly well.

Let's look at the buttons. You need a button to fire and a button for "Use" (switches, doors, etc.). You can't jump, so you don't need a button for that. You could also have a button to run. So, at most you would need 3 buttons, only 2 of which you would really need to use at the same time.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in an arcade environment would be the lack of a scoring system, which id took out of Doom to make it less arcadey. But from an overall "can you play Doom that way and it make sense" standpoint, I think the vanilla Doom games would work just fine with a joystick and buttons.

In fact, that, to me, is the least problematic part of that scene.

I didn't realize I wanted a Doom arcade machine until now

Using a joystick would work completely fine for Doom; you only need precise mouse control when dealing with vertical aiming so a joystick would be completely fine so long as you also have strafe buttons.

The incontinuity between the levels is normal hollywood stuff; go watch The Wizard and see how much of that crap is in it. What I find intriguing is that they show the first and last level of Doom 2 and not simply the first few.

Most likely total bullshit but really nice to see the game pop up like this. There was some talk about a Quake arcade system if I remember correctly... or even working prototypes?

I would use a paddle for strafing(acceleration would maybe add a nice dynamic feeling... imagine the possibility of being able to evade some projectiles even in Nightmare mode) and a short stick for moving where the lingering thumb is being used to push the fire button.

Definitely doable and if fine-tuned could be a total havoc... but highly hypothetical.

Nice 24" CRT, sound system, network and proper housing and this could be good!

Edited by _bruce_

I have but only one question. How in the HELL does the guy playing at the machine NOT hear the gunfire? Even with headphones on and at full blast, I can still hear the outside world. And how does he not get shot? Hollywood I tell ya

Was there ever an official Doom arcade machine?

I remember I was surprised to find one at some coin-op room long time ago but it was definitely a 3rd party hack. It had bad frame rate, possibly some 386 PC hooked into.

1 hour ago, _bruce_ said:

Most likely total bullshit but really nice to see the game pop up like this. There was some talk about a Quake arcade system if I remember correctly... or even working prototypes?

I've seen and played an Unreal Tournament arcade machine and I see virtually nothing about it online except a couple rare forum posts.

It was a giant box, think something like this: 118124212729.jpg

Except it had walls where the open areas are and a single door to let you in. I don't remember the control setup very much, but I know it had a unique game mode where you had to collect balls around the deathmatch levels like Pacman while still shooting others. It had bots and the one I went to had four total machines all linked up so you could play 4 players plus bots.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:24 PM, _bruce_ said:

I played one a few times at an arcade. Single-player was going through the first episode with only 3 lives and multi-player was fighting off bots inside of a version of Quake 2's The Edge map. It used a trackball on the left hand for looking and a thumb button for shooting. Movement was with four buttons for the right hand, a thumb button for jumping and a pinky button for switching weapons. It was a little uncomfortable to play, but I put up with it since I didn't have a computer strong enough to play it at the time.

Ha! This is hilarious , I've only ever seen bits of this movie and I'd not seen that.

I did spot that the car screeching sound effect before all the gun fire was exactly the same sound that was used in Die Hard Trilogy (Die Hard With A Vengeance).

Anyway, Doom using joystick would be awkward at best. Though that dude in the clip seemed to be doing well ;)

On 12/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, _42_ said:

I have but only one question. How in the HELL does the guy playing at the machine NOT hear the gunfire? Even with headphones on and at full blast, I can still hear the outside world. And how does he not get shot? Hollywood I tell ya

The joke was that he was so into the immersive, guns-blazing and hyper-realistic hip new game that he didn't think anything of the gunfire sounds around him, thinking them to be from the game.

On 12/19/2017 at 5:47 AM, Blastfrog said:

The joke was that he was so into the immersive, guns-blazing and hyper-realistic hip new game that he didn't think anything of the gunfire sounds around him, thinking them to be from the game.

True, yeah. Gotcha! (No Pun Intended, of course).

Product placement inside a convenience store full of product placement? I hear movie goers hate that.