Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite First Person Shooter(s)?

Mine are Metroid: Prime, thr Timesplitters series, and Perfect Dark.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin : Adding.

3 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Timesplitters

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

Well i like Doom,Heretic,Serious Sam,Strife,Blood etc... C:

Just now, SOSU said:

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

Well i like Doom,Heretic,Serious Sam,Strife,Blood etc... C:

:)

Exempting the obvious Doom engine games, Dark Forces and Quake are probably the overall most recommendable in my opinion.  I also personally enjoy Witchaven, Corridor 7, Chasm the Rift, Hexen 2 and the Catacomb games, but I'm well aware that those are all more... controversial choices.

I'm never entirely sure if I like Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior or not.  They can be fun but the whole vulgar comedy element can get a bit grating to me.

Doom and Duke 3D.

I'm never entirely sure if I like Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior or not.  They can be fun but the whole vulgar comedy element can get a bit grating to me.

Have you looked into Duke 64? It mostly censors the stronger language, sex, drugs, and religious references but keeps the action intact.

13 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Have you looked into Duke 64? It mostly censors the stronger language, sex, drugs, and religious references but keeps the action intact.

If I had an N64 (which I currently don't) it'd probably be on my B-list of games that I'd pick up if I saw them going for a good price but less priority than more system-exclusive stuff.  Dunno about playing FPS games with the controller like that, either.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM 2 followed by TF2, Doom 1, Doom 4, the New Order, Doom 3... throw in Quake 2 on N64.

Aside from the obvious classic DOOM games as well as Wolfenstein 3D and QUAKE, I also put some interest in the Build Engine games (DN3D, Shadow Warrior, BLOOD, Redneck Rampage, Powerslave, Witchaven). Obscure FPS games of the 1990's, on the other hand, mostly suck (case in point: Pie in the Sky 3D engine games), but a few of them are hidden gems, such as Mars 3D.

plutonia 3

im gonna stick up for Hexen 1, I guess, I love that completionist playstyle it asks of you and I greatly prefer the music to any other FPS soundtrack

im not really a combat person so I'm gonna pick the least meme-y, most atmospheric game every time

Quake 1 rules too mind you

Oh god. I'm a bit of a FPS Junkie, I've played a vast majority of first person shooters existing on the english speaking market. This is a tough one. I'll just ignore ids and Valves games for this, I think listing anything by them is pretty self explanatory and redundant. I'll just throw out Bulletstorm because I don't think anyone here will list it, and It's a top notch single player FPS imo.

WARNING! TOO ORIGINAL OF AN ANSWER BELOW:

I love Dooms (action, rock-metal midis and exploration in one), Deus Ex (conspiracy theorist's dream, with countless options for gameplay and story), Hexen (puzzles and even more exploration), Hexen 2 (great transition to 3D for the series and the puzzles are better than ever before), Heretic (a good start for the series), Strife (I may have not finished it, but I like it and the village/city in the beginning is awesome), Quake 1 (atmosphere), Half Life games, Thief (stealthy and spooky), CoD 4 (for the multiplayer), Dishonored and Far Cry 3.

Edit: Forgot to mention Super Hot. Played its demo some years ago and it felt really cool. I finally played the full game last year iirc and it was good, although I felt it was pretty short.

And I wish I could mention Max Payne, but this is not the list for that unfortunately.

Besides Doom, I really like Quake 3, even in single player. It's like Super Smash Bros for Id Software shooters. UT2004 it's super fun too... and I have a soft spot for WOLF3D and Blake Stone.

20 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I wish I could mention Max Payne, but this is not the list for that unfortunately.

I think it's silly how some people get bent out of shape when 3rd person shooters are listed. For the most part both genres have enough in common I don't see the problem including them.

25 minutes ago, Tindrone said:

Besides Doom, does Deus Ex count, I mean it's in first person and there is shooting

It's much harder to play it by runnin' 'n' gunnin', you're better off not doing that unless you absolutely have to. The game is more like a RPG/FPS hybrid ala Strife, but I guess those are still considered FPS even though they can go beyond that.

3 hours ago, Neurosis said:

It's much harder to play it by runnin' 'n' gunnin', you're better off not doing that unless you absolutely have to. The game is more like a RPG/FPS hybrid ala Strife, but I guess those are still considered FPS even though they can go beyond that.

Yeah,  my favorite pure fps games besides doom are probably Blood and Serious Sam the First and Second Encounters

From classics, besides Doom, Duke 3D and other build engine games, especially Blood which is my favorite.

Later era, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is my favorite wolfenstein till today, I have also seen the light with Deus Ex rather than Half life.

Modern ones, maybe just Borderlands, I became addict.

Additionally, Pain Killer and Serious Sam.

Indie newcomers, Dusk. I played beta Episode 1 and I think they finally nailed what it means to be retro FPS. A lot of indie or other attempts pretending to be "blast from the past" just didn't do it for me (especially since the majority either don't have good level design or went the rogue like route).

Let's see here long list incoming: All the classic Dooms plus Doom 64, Quake 1 2 and 3, Blood, Perfect Dark, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Fallout New Vegas, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight series, Shadow Warrior 97, XIII, UT2004, Outlaws, Soldier of Fortune II, Republic Commando, original Battlefront II, ET:QW, Hexen/Heretic series, Half Life: Opposing Force, Goldeneye 64, Agent Under Fire.

I did like all the James Bond games from the GC/XB/PS2 genre, but my favorite one of them Everything or Nothing is only third person.

Edited by Avoozl

5 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Mine are the Timesplitters series and Perfect Dark.

Timesplitters 2 was so much fun multiplayer. Lots of fond memories of shooting our teammates in the back with those damn turrets on the warzone map, and blasting each other on the wild west map.

This is a hard one. Uhhhh. Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Blood, Duke 3d, TimeSplitters, Goldeneye 007, Disruptor, Killing time, Catacomb3d, Far Cry, Sw Dark forces, Jedi Knight series, Stalker series, Metro 2033, Medal Of Honor, Fallout 3, Hexen, Heretic, Doom3, Team fortress series, Wolfenstein ET, Half life series, Quake series, You Are Empty, Counter strike 1.6, Serious Sam TFE, Bioshock series -ECT

Quake

Descent 1 and 2 (I'm counting these as FPS)

Space Hulk: Vengeance of The Blood Angels

ROTT

Doom 1, 2, 3, and 64 (especially those last two)

Heretic

Half-Life 2

Wolf3D

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Ziggurat

No Man's Sky (can this one even count?)

Disruptor

Codename: Tenka

Probably some others as well, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Excluding any Doom titles:

Portal, Portal 2

Resident Evil 7

Quake, Quake 3 (I like 2 but it's not one of my favorites)

Superhot

Counter Strike Global Offensive

Rainbow Six Siege

Unreal Tournament, UT2004, UT3

Fallout New Vegas

Half Life, HL2 (The episodes are great but not as good as 1 or 2).

Wolfenstein TNO

Can't really include Wolfenstein 3d. It's revolutionary, but the gameplay just feels flat compared to almost everything after it. It laid the ground work for the first person shooter, but is nothing special by today's standards. 

Blood and Duke3D are probably my most favorite games ever. Classic Doom would be #1 but I like it mostly for the gameplay and moddability.

Aside from these top 3, I also particularly enjoy Hexen, Doom 2016, the Half-Life series, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Quake 1. I also like Quake 4 and System Shock 2 but really only for the aesthetics/lore. Still, I'm gonna include those in my favorites cuz I love em but for non-gameplay reasons.

Being on this site, the answer is pretty obvious :P

However, I'm also a huge fan of almost all of Valve's games (especially Portal and Half-Life) and the original Halo trilogy.

6 hours ago, Red said:

Shadow of Chernobyl

Play the latest Misery mod. You will hate it at first but then love it

I'll also list Goldeneye 64, Heretic, Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter, Coded Arms, Quake 2 (N64), Turok Dinosaur Hunter and Rage Wars.