Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Drawing lines over multiple sectors

Hmm, some Death-Destiny maps have stuff like this:

LAj1Pe5.png

To me it seems like just asking for trouble, however I haven't noticed any strange behavior in his maps. So is this safe to do with the right nodebuilder? I think it might be useful in some cases where you don't want to duplicate triggers.

Yes, it's fine to draw activation lines across multiple sectors. Collision is calculated via the blockmap, not the BSP tree, so as long as the linedef is "invisible" it shouldn't have any bad side effects.

Just to be safe, I usually try to draw odd lines like that so that they intersect vertices. You example is perfect for it already. Just move the two new intersecting vertices to be on the 8px grid.

Oh, that's neat. But is it still possible to draw like this in GZDoom Builder? It seems to split everything no matter what. I think in Doom Builder 1.68 drawing and splitting counted as two separate actions, so it was possible to Ctrl+Z one time to get a line without splits. But now it just disappears after one undo.

I'm pretty sure there are options regarding line splitting behaviours for particular actions in the config menu, but there is also a button up top for merging geometry, which when turned off, can allow for lines to be drawn without splitting those drawn over. Very useful for stuff like midtex faux-3D'ery, but a rogue line between sectors can also cause errors in node-building around the length of the line. On one map I tried this and it acted like the sector properties bled over an area.

I used this in GZDoomBuilder all over a set of maps for grass midtextures. Didn't seem to create a problem. But I agree with Nevander about making as few new vertices as possible.

one thing to watch out for with these is that certain nodebuilders don't seem to behave well around them. I recall having problems with zennode giving me slimetrails all over the sectors that used these types of lines. your mileage may vary ;D

Yeah exactly, I resaved Beesong with another nodebuilder and got a nasty slimetrail. Gotta figure out which one works with this.

8 hours ago, Fonze said:

I'm pretty sure there are options regarding line splitting behaviours for particular actions in the config menu, but there is also a button up top for merging geometry...

where where

On 17.12.2017 at 1:42 AM, Memfis said:

But is it still possible to draw like this in GZDoom Builder?

No, it's not. It was possible, but it was one of MaxED's weird decisions to remove this option. The code's still there, but the spitting option ("stitch") is always set to true.

[edit] a workaround is to draw a line in one sector, and then drag the vertices around to your liking.

Edited by boris