Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghost-Cat-Sarah

Any music genres you prefer?

Often times I'll listen to something that fits within one of the many varieties of Rock, Metal, or Electronic styles. Sometimes some Ambient, Rap, Jazz, or Classical styles. 

I am primarily listening to extreme metal, mostly from the '80s, '90s, and newer (preferably in old school style), however I also like neoclassical, folk, dark ambient, country, dungeon synth, and jazz music. I occasionally also end up listening to video game soundtracks, whatever they may be.

There's not a whole lot of genres I like tbh. I'm keeping an open mind, but I generally tend towards what I'm naturally attracted or feels right for myself and represents me in one way or another (I'll never sacrifice my integrity for anything). The only stuff I avoid is what we call around here "commercial music", rap, hip hop, disco, and dubstep. The first because there's rarely anything of good or even decent quality (let alone with vision and meaning behind it...), and the following not necessarily because I dislike them as a whole, but rather because the attitude, image and style really doesn't fit me at all.

Some albums/songs I'd recommend:

- Primarily dark ambient/classical music with black metal elements:

- Something else entirely, still from a black metal band, but unlike Profanum, this one barely has any metal influences (the voice would basically the only element):

- Dungeon synth:

- Dark Ambient:

Edited by Agent6

The genres I most usually listen to are...

• Industrial (Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, KMFDM, Suicide Commando, Front 242, 3TEETH, Laibach, Funker Vogt, Spetsnaz, X Marks the Pedwalk, etc.)
  • Darkwave (Clan of Xymox, The Frozen Autumn, The Cruxshadows, and similar)
  • Gothic Rock (Abderian, Fields of The Nephilim, Ikon, Paralysed Age, Sweet Ermengarde, Two Witches, The Eden House, Sisters of Mercy, etc.)
  • Video Game (mostly FM stuff from the arcade and Sega Genesis, but also a lot of Amiga, C64, and Atari 8-bit music)
  • Dark Ambient (Lustmord, Quake soundtrack, etc.)
  • Trance (mostly stuff from the late 90s and early 2000s).
  • Techno (Jeff Mills, Cybotron, The Martian)

That's not everything I like, but what I listen to most often.  I also used to listen to a lot of downtempo-like stuff, such as Boards of Canada, but I haven't been listening to them as much in the past few years.

7 hours ago, SOSU said:

Also music the group And One makes :) (what genre is that?I have no idea)

They tend to get grouped with the lighter side of Industrial.  So.... futurepop I guess?  With New Wave influences?

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

I cannot fucking stand rap, pop, hip-hop. I can stand country but it's not on my top genre list. If you play rap in my vicinity, we're done.

Well the good news is we were already not friends.

Mostly various subgenres of rock, such as hard rock, post grunge, alternative-ish stuff, (pop) punk, a few different branches of metal (some Djent, melodeath, even some melodic metalcore and mathcore and occasional power and/or speed metal), post hardcore, and some country, but I don't really like the direction the mainstream has gone about the last 5-10 years. 

Post-punk, indie, revival, shoegaze and lo-fi... Anything that has surf rock or doo-wop bits, without being one of those genres specifically, will do. Oh, and the crappiest it sounds the better.
Something like these darlings:

My favourite bands of all time though, Blur and The Pixies.

Rap and Metal. I'm pretty open minded, I can get down with any genre except country. and bluegrass, I get bluegrass is typically a very talented genre, but it feels gross on my ears.

ive been trying to get more into emo and shoegaze lately, so i guess those. i also like alt rock and some math rock...... i wouldnt say im very well-versed in any genre though tbh. i used to be really into metal but i dont listen to it that much anymore. not that metal is bad, but i went through a big phase where i listened to nothing but metal, so i guess i just got kinda tired of it. i dont listen to a lot of rap, but its a good genre. people who only listen to RAWK \m/ >__< \m/ and vehemently hate rap for whatever reason are boring

2 minutes ago, moonboot said:

ive been trying to get more into emo and shoegaze lately, so i guess those. i also like alt rock and some math rock...... i wouldnt say im very well-versed in any genre though tbh. i used to be really into metal but i dont listen to it that much anymore. not that metal is bad, but i went through a big phase where i listened to nothing but metal, so i guess i just got kinda tired of it. i dont listen to a lot of rap, but its a good genre. people who only listen to RAWK \m/ >__< \m/ and vehemently hate rap for whatever reason are boring

the people that only listen to your "RAWK \M/ >__< \M/" is because they consider the music more than just music, but as a part of a lifestyle. That's way different then just listening to music casually.

Just now, Mayhem666 said:

the people that only listen to your "RAWK \M/ >__< \M/" is because they consider the music more than just music, but as a part of a lifestyle. That's way different then just listening to music casually.

thats fine but you dont have to hate on another genre to do so. there are people who consider rap a lifestyle too but you dont see them shitting on rock music constantly.

4 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Well the good news is we were already not friends.

Why was that? I can't even remember anything that I did. I have a shitty memory for this kind of thing.

4 hours ago, moonboot said:

thats fine but you dont have to hate on another genre to do so. there are people who consider rap a lifestyle too but you dont see them shitting on rock music constantly.

And if anything, the two genres have a lot more in common than most people think. When done well, I've been really enjoying Hip-Hop with Punk or even some Industrial influence. It has such a raw hard-hitting sound that my ears absolutely love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvloHTnuNj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rStAqSGAng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4NboAPGFo

Well that's a fair point for me. I'll not shit on others people music if they don't come at me to shit on mine. Mutual respect as we call it. 

15 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Well that's a fair point for me. I'll not shit on others people music if they don't come at me to shit on mine. Mutual respect as we call it. 

Coming back to this (shitting on other genres I mean), sadly that's exactly how metalheads are typically perceived due to their attitude. Something brought upon themselves by their own actions, no doubt about it, as many seem to simply love bashing other genres and endlessly praise their stuff as being the only "oh-so-meaningful-serious-and-skilled-art", generally due to the false notion of "elitism" and how "true metalheads listen only to metal and anyone who does otherwise is just a filthy poser." But I wish we, the ones who are not laughable, ignorant fools, not be thrown in with them. Listening to only one type of music doesn't make one more "serious", "smarter", or more "elite" looking, if anything, only the contrary. If they wish so much to look how they imagine there's better, more efficient, and meaningful ways of doing that, such as achieving something important, than something as personal and subjective as tastes...

After them I guess I'm a poser for enjoying, for instance, later Profanum. Generally, such persons don't know anything else outside their little box (occasionally not even about their own stuff. Some oh so claim to be a living Metal Archive although they only know a couple of bands, and not even that well enough), are highly immature (along plenty more negative traits), and yet they still "criticize" other genres.

I, for one, never bashed other genres (okay, I admit, maybe at some point in life I might've actually done this, but how old was I at the time, 13?), there's only a very few number I specifically don't like, such as metalcore, but you won't see me shitting on someone's else's tastes just because I consider my own "superior" or some similar trash talk. But of course, if someone comes to me and insults my preferences for whatever reason they have or just for the sake of doing, I'll defend them.

Edited by Agent6

Punk Rock , Nu-Metal and Hip Hop.

Yeah , I still think it's 2001.

Though I do love to listen to film scores aswell.

I've been on a melodic deathcore kick lately.

Spoiler

But my genre of choice changes every week. One week I'll find myself listening to Lil Pump, Juicy J, and Guwop. Next week I'll be listening to Dash Berlin and Armin Van Buuren. And in between, I'll be listening to Senses Fail, ABR, and Silent Planet. And I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. 

9 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Coming back to this (shitting on other genres I mean), sadly that's exactly how metalheads are typically perceived due to their attitude. Something brought upon themselves by their own actions, no doubt about it, as many seem to simply love bashing other genres and endlessly praise their stuff as being the only "oh-so-meaningful-serious-and-skilled-art", generally due to the false notion of "elitism" and how "true metalheads listen only to metal and anyone who does otherwise is just a filthy poser." But I wish we, the ones who are not laughable, ignorant fools, not be thrown in with them. Listening to only one type of music doesn't make one more "serious", "smarter", or more "elite" looking, if anything, only the contrary. If they wish so much to look how they imagine there's better, more efficient, and meaningful ways of doing that, such as achieving something important, than something as personal and subjective as tastes...

After them I guess I'm a poser for enjoying, for instance, later Profanum. Generally, such persons don't know anything about something else (occasionally not even about their own stuff. Some so claim to be a Metal Archive although they only know only a couple of bands, and not even that well enough), are highly immature (along plenty more negative traits), and yet they still "criticize" other genres.

I, for one, never bashed other genres (okay, I admit, maybe at some point in life I might've actually done this, but how old was I at the time, 13?), there's only a very few number I specifically don't like, such as metalcore, but you won't see me shitting on someone's else's tastes just because I consider my own "superior" or some similar trash talk. But of course, if someone comes to me and insults my preferences for whatever reason they have or just for the sake of doing, I'll defend them.

I stopped considering myself as a "metalhead" years ago, since the time I realized that most people that associate theirselves that way are douches. I rarely got along with these people tbh lol.

5 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

I stopped considering myself as a "metalhead" years ago, since the time I realized that most people that associate theirselves that way are douches. I rarely got along with these people tbh lol.

The truth has been spoken.

Well of course I still do consider myself a metalhead (I'll always be one, especially in spirit), but I agree. The very low number of metalheads I ran into has not been very pleasant as a whole, some of them really did have these "elitist" and "true metal" farts in their heads and were a bit narrow-minded in some aspects as well. They were great to talk to in general and could discuss a vast amount of matters, but avoid the bands/artists/genres they don't like like plague, that never went well. This is the reason why I'm interested in the music and that's about it, no bullshit, no "current state of the scene", nothing. I'd much rather spend my time with "normal" people than metalheads.

I do know a very low number of metalheads who are just great persons, the "ideal" we're all looking for, but sadly they're quite difficult to come by :( ...

I'll listen to EDM or dance once in a while (in those cases I prefer Alan Walker or NoCopyrightSounds), but for me rock and metal are where it's at.

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

The truth has been spoken.

Well of course I still do consider myself a metalhead (I'll always be one, especially in spirit), but I agree. The very low number of metalheads I ran into has not been very pleasant as a whole, some of them really did have these "elitist" and "true metal" farts in their heads and were a bit narrow-minded in some aspects as well. They were great to talk to in general and could discuss a vast amount of matters, but avoid the bands/artists/genres they don't like like plague, that never went well. This is the reason why I'm interested in the music and that's about it, no bullshit, no "current state of the scene", nothing. I'd much rather spend my time with "normal" people than metalheads.

I do know a very low number of metalheads who are just great persons, the "ideal" we're all looking for, but sadly they're quite difficult to come by :( ...

Yeah the cliche that "when a metalhead meet another metalhead" = instant friend is definitely not my case. But I understand that at some point in my " metal development" if I can say this that way, I was kind of like these people, it was fuck others people music and if you don't like what I like fuck off and etc... I felt that I was apart of something, a sort of group, "the metalheads". Dunno if it makes sense to read my shit but anyway, my english isn't perfect lol.

I'm going to be contrarian here and say that there's nothing inherently wrong with bashing genres you don't like and the people who listen to them so long as you're prepared to accept the consequences of having an opinion that might be unpopular.

I realize that I have a reputation to maintain as a curmudgeon with schizophrenic taste (a friend of mine said he could feed me any genre and have me bitch about it for a solid 5-10 minutes and I can't disagree, and that includes stuff I like) and a strong disdain for what are now traditional forms of "counter"-cultural expression that trade nigh-exclusively in pointless edge. There are flaws and problems and bad trends in every genre of music out there, even the stuff I like, but apart from the music, some scenes are just toxic and cultivate a following that takes itself far too seriously, and I'm going to comment on that.

I like Ministry, Sepultura, Tom Waits, Frank Zappa and a whole lot of (dis)similar stuff. That includes a bunch of metal, some rap/hip-hop, jazz, electronica, whatever.. Good music is good. But the aforementioned bands are my all-time favs.

I fan of rock, punk and metal. 

Love rock, hard-rock, prog-rock, gothic rock, rock-n-roll, christian rock, art-rock, indie rock, punk-rock, post-punk, new wave, no wave, hardcore, rapcore, heavy metal, trash metal, speed metal, power metal, prog metal, christian metal, gothic metal. 

Also love ethnic music (bashkir national music).

I listened to thrash metal before, but switched to street rap.

Metal gives you false-epic "you are strong and you already won the fight" feeling, but aggressive primitive rap gives "you are weak and you ARE fighting now", so its more useful to motivate