Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghost-Cat-Sarah

Any music genres you prefer?

On 12/18/2017 at 7:12 PM, arobase said:

There are flaws and problems and bad trends in every genre of music out there, even the stuff I like, but apart from the music, some scenes are just toxic and cultivate a following that takes itself far too seriously, and I'm going to comment on that.

This made me think of the Norwegian black metal scene when some of the groups within that scene were burning churches down.

47 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

This made me think of the Norwegian black metal scene when some of the groups within that scene were burning churches down.

Yeah, as much as I love and am attached to bm on a personal level I totally agree, it's the main reason why I stick to the music and read an interview every now and then to learn more about a band's ideology outside of the lyrics and the members themselves, and don't pay attention to all these acts who take themselves so serious that it's almost laughable (Watain is a prime example and the main reason I loathe them. There's better bands out there who don't take it to ridiculous levels while still being serious about what they do.).

And on burning churches, Ihsahn of Emperor and Nuclear Holocausto Vengeance of Beherit are right, there really isn't any reason to be physically destructive (and I daresay in this case, childish) just to make your point clear, as if the music and concept in general wouldn't be enough to send a message, and I've also noticed that some fans just can't think for themselves either, just following other bands visions and thoughts and whatnot, incapable of making their own ideas. Great as metal might be for me, if you look close enough some fans and bands are retarded.

10 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Great as metal might be for me, if you look close enough some fans and bands are retarded.

^^This, 100%. But it does give me a lot of laughs to think about Varg Vikernes and all the shenannigans he pulled. Also, Euronymous and Dead from Mayhem's shenannigans. The early scene as a whole was laughable to me, in that respect. Ehh, what can you do?

3 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

^^This, 100%. But it does give me a lot of laughs to think about Varg Vikernes and all the shenannigans he pulled. Also, Euronymous and Dead from Mayhem's shenannigans. The early scene as a whole was laughable to me, in that respect. Ehh, what can you do?

Eh, Dead was a genuinely twisted person honestly although no doubt there's a lot of bullshit to these stories as well.

And ah yes Euronymous, the one who had it coming (sorry but that's just the reality, you reap what you sow). Beside Watain he's the #1 personality in bm I despise. If you check interviews and videos I can't for the love of Satan understands how people took him seriously back in the day. "I don't want to hear about born again christians, I want them to come attack me" LOL. "We like to believe Bathory and Venom were evil because you can't create something like this without being evil yourself" LOL #2. Well ok maybe there is some truth to the statement in a sense, but considering where this comes from... oh boi.

Also, "But we are not ordinary people, so having a corpse around is nothing to us" (or something to this effect, I can't remember his exact words here, after an interviewer asked him if it's true Dead shot himself). No wonder even the band itself stated that with Euro was "more smoke than fire. He wanted to be the most extreme of all." yeah, well, you don't say, apparently the most retarded and 2edgy4us as well. I admire his musical contribution and him as an artist, but that's about it, in short, he was cancer and probably one of the reason why all these "ultra serious" farts even exist in the first place.

And how "the only bands who play norwegian black metal are Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Burzum. There's some other bands out here but I don't think they understood what bm is about. Bm must be satanic." LOL #3. Was Darkthrone ever satanic lmao? Fuck no. Burzum? Obvious troll is obvious. Mayhem? Given Euro's statements on satanism he didn't know shit about it, and that's obvious even when you look at the lyrics. Some people even take the lyrics on Deathcrush serious, imagine that. And no Emperor, Immortal and so on? Those were not kvlt and "serious" enough? Come on... . Even if they weren't 100% serious but already had a solid concept for their music, Demonaz's lyrics on Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism pretty much mop the floor with Euro's wannabe dead serious and dark stuff. I honestly don't get how Euro became a close friend to these 2 bands and even got their respect, it makes no sense to me, but not sure I want to know how this came either. Let's not even mention the death threats Euro sent to various bands...

Edited by Agent6

5 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Eh, Dead was a genuinely twisted person honestly although no doubt there's a lot of bullshit to these stories as well.

And ah yes Euronymous, the one who had it coming (sorry but that's just the reality, you reap what you sow). Beside Watain he's the #1 personality in bm I despise.

No hatred or severe dislike of/for Varg? He's one of the more divisive characters in BM from what I've read/heard/seen. My brother has a severe dislike of him, but is also amused at him at the same time, if such a thing is possible.

And yeah, Dead was a somewhat twisted individual. It's said that he use to bury his stage clothes before a show because he wanted his clothes to gain a certain grave-y smell. To each their own, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

No hatred or severe dislike of/for Varg? He's one of the more divisive characters in BM from what I've read/heard/seen. My brother has a severe dislike of him, but is also amused at him at the same time, if such a thing is possible.

In all honesty, no.

Sure there's stuff I don't agree with (racism is the best example), but other than that he actually wanted to create something more positive and was dedicated to his work, not just image and craving for attention.

I used to be all metal, all the time (Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Megadeth, etc....yeah, I'm an old dog). Now I can find redeeming qualities in almost all music (mostly if there are REAL instruments involved). As a musician, playing other styles opened up more opportunities to play gigs, do session work, teach music, and record for things like local radio/tv commercials. This allowed me to quit my 9 to 5. Never gonna get rich from it, but I feel like I'm living the dream without the trappings of fame (which I would not like, being a bit of a recluse).

Euronymous also cooked part of Dead's brains in a stew (allegedly, according to Hellhammer). Euronymous and Varg were both ticking time bombs just waiting to go off. I love Varg's music for how absorbing, hypnotic and cold sounding it is, but it's all too easy for me to picture him with a Tiki torch while shouting questionable remarks.

Rapolka. You'd think it would sound terrible.

3 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

I used to be all metal, all the time (Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Megadeth, etc....yeah, I'm an old dog). Now I can find redeeming qualities in almost all music (mostly if there are REAL instruments involved).

That's cool, I only listen to fake instruments:

elmo-toy-guitar.jpg91pl5rO2lzL._SY355_.jpg

For me, it's not really GENRES, per se, but rather bands (and I don't really like that many). Bands like a-ha and Pet Shop Boys make the kind of stuff I like.