Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Features you would like to see in EDGE

I expect score system and the like in Doom. I also expect people making maps for ROTT mode in EDGE to be able to use differing Z heights of walls.

The score system in Doom is best left as a Doom press-release emulation feature. The reason for Doom scoring system is that doing all of DDF and ACS work can be time-consuming and make a EDGE mod contain much more code than it would actually contain.

ROTT uses room-over-room things, so I wonder if the same could be done for Doom?

Well EDGE enables true 3D thing rendering, and GADs just get placed via RTS for now (need to find a way to translate the GAD value to a z-position/TID via EDGE).

And the score system will probably get lifted from Wolf3D or the like directly. Coding that system in DDF/RTS is doable, but very time consuming.

Well, making ROTT maps in EDGE do not need to be confined to the ROTT format, and DOOM/EDGE/UDMF maps will do as it all gets translated to a 3D BSP all the same.

But, stock ROTT maps will work differently as stock ROTT textures get rotated and the like (lines get translated, lots of translating lol). It'll all make sense once its in and working :)

10 hours ago, Coraline said:

Well EDGE enables true 3D thing rendering, and GADs just get placed via RTS for now (need to find a way to translate the GAD value to a z-position/TID via EDGE).

And the score system will probably get lifted from Wolf3D or the like directly. Coding that system in DDF/RTS is doable, but very time consuming.

Well, making ROTT maps in EDGE do not need to be confined to the ROTT format, and DOOM/EDGE/UDMF maps will do as it all gets translated to a 3D BSP all the same.

But, stock ROTT maps will work differently as stock ROTT textures get rotated and the like (lines get translated, lots of translating lol). It'll all make sense once its in and working :)

Coding score system in the internal of EDGE and then allowing modders to specify their own score will be typically better.

But how stock ROTT maps will work differently?

Either way, get things done quickly but not rushedly :D

Big monsters would get stuck in places. And the ammo distribution would be out of whack, not to mention the difficulty. Also, this can be done with a mod in 3DGE I guess.

Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, DEHacked, and Zdoom mods support.

Edit: Now just now need Hexen and Strife support.

Edited by Apaul27

12 hours ago, Apaul27 said:

Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, DEHacked, and Zdoom mods support.

This minus the last part. Chex Quest should be pretty easy, it's basically just a built in DEHACKED patch and a single episode that ends at E1M5.

Edit: Wait a minute there's already Heretic and Chex Quest support apparently.

Edited by Death Egg

@Death Egg is right. Heretic and Chex Quest are supported already (for Heretic, we still need to implement some sort of inventory handling in EDGE). DeHacked works fine, too. Hexen still needs ACS(vm), and Strife is completely doable but I don't have much time yet to code that game (I instead chose to work on ROTT, but that even feels like too much at once). 

I would much prefer focusing on things that need attention (bugs being fixed, BOOM 241/242, UDMF, IWAD selector, engine speedups, scripting language enhancements). 

One thing I always hope to see in a source port is a kills/items/secrets counter during the level, whether it's part of the automap or one of the built in huds. I always feel so helpless without that. Even in maps I know very well, I tend to lose track of what I have and haven't found.

Sure, that can be done in COAL. I can just bake it into EDGE (so I think we are up to 4 or so choices for the HUD) for the next release. @SiFi270 you mean something similar to how prBoom shows the stats during gameplay, right?

I agree, having it on the automap just feels right. It's more fun looking for secrets when I know how many there are left to find.