Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Finn1996

Is The Sound Necessary?

Hey guys,

I just made an account to make a quick post. I just bought DOOM BFG Edition for Xbox. It has DOOM 1, 2 & 3.

I'm just wondering, for any/all of these games, is sound absolutely necessary? I usually listen to music while playing video games unless I'm playing a game where the sound makes a difference. I remember my brother playing DOOM 3 a long time ago, from what I recall it was pretty sketchy and the sound made the game even more scary/intense. I feel like I could get away with no sound for DOOM 1, but not DOOM 3, but I don't know for sure.

Let me know! Probably gonna dive in tonight, I've always wanted to play the DOOM games!

Oh, yes. :D

We're all a bit biased here since we love the games, but I'd say give it a whirl with sound, see what you think, then stick to your guns as a backup option. Can't hurt to try!

It provides more information that you might not be able to obtain from your sight alone. The position, direction, and specific actions of enemies and the environment is communicated through sound even when it is not in view.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, Doom didn't have any sound implemented until very late in development, but to say that that lack of sound doesn't have a strong negative impact on the experience is wrong.

If you like to listen to music, perhaps just turn the in-game music off but keep the sfx. That's what I do when I don't want to listen to the in-game music.

4 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

It provides more information that you might not be able to obtain from your sight alone. The position, direction, and specific actions of enemies and the environment is communicated through sound even when it is not in view.

Ya see that's what I was thinking. Not so much the dialogue, but the sounds and specifically location of enemies and stuff like that.

I'll probably give it a go with the sound!

In the classic Doom games I don't find sound to be absolutely necessary, it never really influenced my gameplay in any way (except for perhaps missing a couple of enemies who knows where) but in Doom 3, it's needed since it plays an integral part in building the atmosphere. Playing Doom 3 without sound is pointless imo.

Edited by Agent6

Sound is always necessary in a video game unless you are doing something mundane enough to not require full attention or playing coop or something like that. For example, if I am playing Borderlands normally, I want to experience the game and all the sounds. If I am still playing Borderlands but now I am doing those god awful boring Underdome arenas, I will most assuredly play music... loudly.

Yes. You can't 'see' the entire picture during an encounter without hearing when/what/where monsters are attacking.

I'd definitely suggest playing with the sound on, yes, since it's about the only directional cue you get toward enemies outside of your line of sight.  As I recall the game's got its share of secrets that depend on audible clues as well (doors/lifts activating where they can be heard but not seen) so I think you'd be missing out on a lot as well as making ambushes much more difficult for yourself by playing with the sound effects off.  As others have suggested, turning the music off if you want to play along to your own soundtrack is likely your best option.

Doom 3 is very dependant on the sound design (being an action/horror hybrid) and is a completely flat experience without it.

The other Dooms however you can disable the music and have yours play over it.

9 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

If you like to listen to music, perhaps just turn the in-game music off but keep the sfx. That's what I do when I don't want to listen to the in-game music.

Seconding this. Lets me catch up on podcasts and murder hellspawn simultaneously.

You could handle getting rid of the music in doom 1 and doom 2. while its a great soundtrack, it isn't essential. However, ii'd keeep the sound down low, espcially for doom 2 because there are some unique monster sounds that might prepare you.

You'll miss some sound cues that might make it disorientating, like doors opening, lifts lowering or monsters becoming aware of your presence and roarinng. Depends on the map you play how much you'd be affected I think. Some secret area clues would be impossible to pick up with out SFX, as would some puzzles, though these aren't commonplace occurances.

It's more than necessary, you should have at least seven instances of Doom, Rise of the Triad, Duke3D, Infant Annihilator, and a YTMND meme of your choice, in any combination you prefer, playing in the background.

1 hour ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

My computer doesn't have sound, so I've been playing/recording with no sound since 2012.

Ffs please, just buy a pair of speakers, I'll pay if you want, your story is making me sad

I actually play without sound effects but with the in-game music, because I like having the music in the foreground rather than being drowned out by the other sounds. Yes, it's slightly harder to play the game (just assume that there's always something popping up behind you, and you should be ok), and yes, I probably occasionally miss those secrets where you hear a lift coming down somewhere and have only a few seconds to find it, but it's not a huge deal. My playing experience is probably pretty niche though, and I would trust what everyone is saying -- the sounds are generally an important part of the experience.

Also, the sound effects in Doom are pretty great. I still turn them on when I'm playing the original games, because I've heard the music a million times and the sounds are very nostalgic for me.

First off, you can play Doom however the hell you want. If you want to ramp down the in-game sound and play Britney Spears' greatest hits on maximum volume while you're blasting demons, all the more power to you.

That said, if you've never played Doom with the sound on or heard the original soundtrack, you might be missing out. For me, Doom has both exceptionally well-designed sound effects (the weapons are all so satisfying to use again and again), and an iconic soundtrack that really adds a lot to the overall atmosphere of the game. Both are a tribute to the genius of Bobby Prince, who did the sound side of Doom.

My suggestion would be to wait until the sun goes down, turn off all the lights and any sources of sound, fire up your favourite source port and play through Doom E1. Try to appreciate the whole game without any distractions -- its mechanics, artwork, level design, engine, music and sound effects -- for what it is, a work of art.

I'm as biased as everyone else on this forum, and it's hard to know where the line falls between objective appreciation and my own subjective sense of nostalgia, but it's hard to argue that Doom is a game that has definitely aged well, and I'd say that the soundtrack and sound effects are as iconic and memorable as every other element of the game.

40 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

Or just make your own sounds with your mouth.

It's not canon unless Romero is making the vocalizations.

Even without sound, in Doom 1 and Doom 2 you can look at marine face at statusbar to see which side is turned where player being attacked.

Also, choosing favorite midi music soundfont (if you will use sourceports) is important. Personally I can recommend ChoriumRevA.sf2

Personally, sound really helps me tell when to dodge something when in the middle of a fight with multiple monsters and im focusing on one monster specifically while others are firing stuff at me. Probably doesn't work when those other monsters firing stuff at me are hitscanners...

The sound is entirely optional. Though it is recommended, you can turn it off. You may not be as successful.

53 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Is graphics necessary?

Also, take your pick from dozens, maybe even hundreds of text adventures from the days if yore.

17 minutes ago, Megalyth said:
Also, take your pick from dozens, maybe even hundreds of text adventures from the days if yore.

Would a text adventure without graphics really be a text adventure? Wouldn't it be more like a vocal adventure instead?