Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stripey

Best Alternative to Slade?

My poor little problem-ridden laptop can't install Microsoft Visual C++, so Slade isn't really an option for me, at the moment.

So, as the title asks, what would you say is the best alternative program(s) or wad editor to Slade? All I really want to do is edit the level names and story text screens. Being able to change/import music files would be a bonus, too.

Unfortunately, the only known alternative to Slade known to me is XWE. It is quite outdated and has application features that can cause damage to the wad data. I wonder if there are others?

XWE can do everything about what you mentioned, but XWE map editor is not very convenient. It is better to use the programs of the Doom Builder family.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

Download an older version of slade. It works just as well and you won't need the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++.

I have looked into XWE, but the complaints people have about it tend to turn me off from it. That being said, if it's my only choice, I'll deal with it (if I can even install it).

It seems I cant install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 either, and I'm missing components to run WinTex. Is WinTex compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate?

Just try SlumpEd or an older version of Slade as MrD suggested. One of those should work with no instance of MSVC++ installed.

1 minute ago, Stripey said:

Nope. Even SlumpEd v0.1 requires components from MSVC.

Then try an older version of slade. A really old version.

12 minutes ago, MrD!zone said:

Then try an older version of slade. A really old version.

SlumpEd is an older version of SLADE, as far as I have seen here.

8 minutes ago, Stripey said:

After trying Slade 01, I still get this error

MSVC Error.PNG

Then you're computer must be REALLY shit.

The Microsoft site lets you download an installer for Visual C runtimes if I recall correctly.  If those aren't able to work on the system/OS version you use than you are pretty much SOL aside from XWE and WinTex, as far as I know.

As someone who used to use it, XWE isn't THAT bad if it's what you have to resort to.  Put a write-protect flag on any files (like IWADs) that you don't want to risk it messing up, and bear in mind it's one of those tools that erroneously thinks there's a transparent palette entry (which is not so bad for Doom but messes up some Heretic/Hexen and probably Strife stuff.)  Then just keep periodic backups of any WIP files which you should really do anyway.

WinTex is pretty much for if your computer is SUPER old.  Any 64-bit OS won't even run it as far as I recall since it was made for Windows 3.1.  If you're on a 32-bit one then it might work.

I think I'll just deal with default text and music for a few more months, until I can actually afford a new PC.

Thanks anyway, guys.

2 hours ago, Stripey said:

After trying Slade 01, I still get this error

MSVC Error.PNG

With v.2 Slade it's enough to copy the required file MSVCP71.dll inside the Slade main folder.