Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

What was your first ever video game?

I honestly can't remember well , but my first game was on the PS1. It was either Hercules (was challenging for my 5 year old self, but I beat it in one sitting, once I got it out of the drawer recently), or Spiderman 2 Enter Electro (a very fun game too) or Driver (only once was I able to pass the parking section, because it required car stunts and I didn't know English, so I had to drive around, while randomly drifting).

Honestly, I don't know. The first "real" game (Not counting Solitaire, FreeSki, and the like) I remember playing was probably Doom. Then again, I played many MSDOS titles from Jill of the Jungle to Hocus Pocus to Raptor Call of the Shadows so I honestly don't know which was first.

I can't say for certain exactly what my first video game was, but the first ones that left a lasting impression on me when I first started playing video games were definitely Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Doom 2.

If I recall my very first proper video game, it was probably Serious Sam: Next Encounter. The game that would, down the line, get me interested in Doom.

First one I remember playing was Super Mario Bros. Barely had the coordination to avoid pits.

Oh man... Uh... I've got like five or more edutainment games in my room somewhere. My first game definitely ran on my old Windows '98 PC (wish I still had that thing...) and I'm gonna say it was probably a Veggie Tales game. I'd go dig out the disc and tell you which game it was but I'm too lazy... It was a point-and-click puzzle adventure game that took place on an island with a mansion. It's possible that it may not be my first game, but it's the first game I've ever beaten and it's the one I remember the most vividly.

I played some games before, but this was the first one on our own computer.
Even it was not usual in Eastern Europe in late 80s to have computer at home, we had one. It was Delta, which was something like exact copy of ZX Spectrum+ distributed in Czechoslovakia in that time.
If I am right, the first game (or at least on of the first games) we loaded from tape was Wriggler.
https://youtu.be/w0fN8CmaXus

The first game I remember playing is Doom. I would always sit behind my dad and watch him play it, I guess it was like YouTube for me back then. I would always be too scared to play it myself, and when I did, everytime I came across a monster around the size of a baron or bigger I would go "Ahh! A big guy!", and make my dad kill it so I could keep playing. It was the same kind of thing with Duke Nukem 3D as well... suprised my Dad even let me play THAT when I was that young.

Not to hijack the thread, but what was your first game on every system you owned?

SNES: Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
PC/DOS: Hexen: Beyond Heretic
PSX: Gran Turismo
PS2: Devil May Cry

SNES was the first and the last console I owned, and besides that there was only PC.

My first SNES game was Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues. I still think it has a great soundtrack. Really shows what you can do with its peculiar sound hardware if you're up to it. The game itself was rather simplistic, but with tight controls and good color use. In retrospect, it was a bit of an oddball.

The first game I played on my own PC was Mafia. Great times. Like, really great times, me and my friend were obsessed with that game.

15 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Not to hijack the thread, but what was your first game on every system you owned?

C64: Football Director

Amiga CD32: Gloom

SNES: Doom

PSX: Doom

N64: Doom 64

PS2: Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Xbox: Halo

PS3: Half Life 2

Xbox 360: Doom BFG Edition

PC: Half Life: Opposing Force

I unfortunately do not remember the name of this arcade. In there helicopter flying over an island in the middle of the ocean and shooting enemies. The game was for the ZX Spectrum and performed entirely in a green\black colors. If anyone has found the times Spectrum 128k, can recall it?

The first games on the PC was "Need For Speed II" and "Pop: The Balloon Dog".

@riderr3 I remember this game! It seems that you also found the Spectrum era. A lot of time spent playing it. More only in Boulder Dash... I need to find an emulator urgently ... :3

Oh, I forgot, I had a Delta-S. It's a ZX Spectrum clone. A family friend gave it to me somewhere around the early 00s instead of throwing it away.

The first game I loaded was Terrorpods, I think. I was impressed that it tried to imitate first-person perspective. It reminded me of the hovercraft sequence from Robocop vs. The Terminator (SNES version), but I couldn't figure out much of what I had to do.

Most of the time such situations occured because I didn't have a manual. Occasionally it was clearly because the game was broken, even though it still loaded somehow. Didn't seem like the latter in this case though.

9 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

In there helicopter flying over an island in the middle of the ocean and shooting enemies. The game was for the ZX Spectrum and performed entirely in a green\black colors.

I just searched for "chopper" on the site and was surprised at the amount of results. More than one of them fits the description.

@Da Werecat Unfortunately, this is not the game that i remember. In my case there was a view from above, not from the side, and the helicopter could fly free in all directions.

Thanks for targeting the site. I have not been interested in Spectrum games for a long time. As I find the time, I will plunge into this world again.

On every system:

NES: SMB/Duck Hunt

Gameboy: Tetris

SNES: Super Mario World

PC: The Incredible Machine 3

Every one of these was a pack-in.

Well, if we're going by what system, then my first console game is very easy. My first console system was the N64 and (Not counting the Atari Classics Pack), my first game was Donkey Kong 64.

The first game that I played was Aladdin on the Sega Genesis when I was about 3 years old.

Some top-down game with ASCII graphics where you played as a hungry larvae eating symbols scrolling down towards you from the top and you had to avoid Ts (they represented poisonous mushrooms) - I think I was around 2-3 years old at the time (so around 1982) and I only ever got to play it once.

I thought the game was called "Centipede", but apparently, that's a different game where you play as a garden gnome shooting stuff with a laser, so I've no idea what the game was called.

Quake 2 with good ol' software rendering. I remember being terrified by lava in that game because of the screams the marine would make, and that plus berserkers prevented me from going any further than the start of the mines (even though I played with the god and give all cheats. What? I was 3 years old, man).

It's ironic that despite it being the first game I ever played, it's still the one I like the least in the series.

I recall there was a filter setting which would make hardware mode less blurry but I can't for the live of me remember what it was.

gl_rounddown 0

This is to stop model skins from being resized into crap. To remove filtering there's "gl_texturemode" - either "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST" or "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR".

Edited by Da Werecat

On 22/12/2017 at 0:52 AM, cyan0s1s said:

PC: Doom

Nintendo DS: Super Mario 64 DS

Nintendo Wii: Lego Indiana Jones

Xbox 360: Just Cause 2

Nintendo 3DS: Mario Maker 3DS

Xbox One: Doom 2016

I'm always super late to play new consoles...

@Grimosaur Doesn't matter, new consoles aren't doing well anyways. When you got a PS2 back then you had a key to a wealth of gaming that could last a lifetime. Then the PS3 came and decided to split itself up into X amounts of gig versions, and backwards compatibility with PS2 being broken off later on, along with inferior ports of games that ran better on the X360, and then just Sony in general being greedy cunts as time went on. Yeah, I'm glad I never went past the 6th generation of consoles.