Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DOOM WAD REVIEW - Plutonia 3: Going to Surface

I think it's way too elaborate for a troll WAD. It appears to be Russian, and in our internet culture the concept or permissions and stuff like that is treated much less seriously than in English speaking communities, so that should explain the name. I guess it was made by a guy who has good technical knowledge of Doom but very little artistic talent. It's kind of a shame as it could have been an interesting project if it had a different name and if someone more competent was responsible for the levels. But at least it resulted in this entertaining video (lol when you tried ducking for real :D).

This was great.

I didn't realize you had all these videos up.

I was especially glad to see the refutation to the Game Theory video.

...which I guess was 10 months ago, but hey I'm catching up, I only saw the original last week.

Anyway, sounds like the author named the project after his goal and not his efforts. Understandable in a self-motivating manner, though misguided for a final release.

But who knows, maybe this'll spur on a bunch of more experienced mappers to make "the real Plutonia 3." There could be a good outcome yet.

Good video.

This must be the worst wad I've ever seen. The sounds are ridiculous, the levels have untextured objects, the water texture transition is the second map was very lazy, a door opened into the sky :v , but it had that little hidden switch behind a concrete wall (bonus points for originality right there), questionable rooms (such as the one with 30 backpacks and medkits), troll screens (the Minecraft and the Help backgrounds), poorly placed switches (the skull buttons are also overused).

All in all, this wad feels like definite trolling, which supposedly took 3yrs to create. Even if it wasn't called Plutonia it's still mediocre and poorly designed. I guess the 1/5 stars rating seen at the beginning of the video is justified. But hey, the good part is that all this resulted in an entertaining video at least.

I was thinking that as well, Lut - A true Plutonia 3 would be great, I've always enjoyed the theme and challenge of the Plutonia wads.

Memfis, that makes sense. The whole time I was thinking of how it feels like one of those fake bootleg Chinese/Russian sequels, named that way just to reel more unsuspecting people in.

Thanks for the comments fellas!

I'm leaning towards the "someone actually thought this was good" side, as far as watching it in a video is concerned.  Like you say, they do seem '94-ish and I see in that some of the same '94-ish earnestness more than I'd expect of a joke/troll WAD.  Though I suppose it could be a subtle one.  Outside of the obnoxious DeHackEd enemies, they look like the sort of maps I'd probably take perverse enjoyment in.

This wad inspired me to start working on Memento Mori 69 :D

Also great video Doomkid :) looking at your Youtube channel with Doom videos,midis and YTP made me think of yyou as one of the coolest dudes on DW <3 
(Also i subscrizzeld)

@Ron Well, different strikes for different folks as they say!

@ETTiN Yeah, in retrospect I think you're right. It's a shame this is called Plut 3 in that the name is the only reason I went in with super high expectations - if I went in not having any preconceptions, I probably would give it more like a 6.5/10

@SOSU thanks a lot!

is it me or is your accent leaping between American and Australian regularly every 10 seconds

lmao, a few people have mentioned that now Jimmy! I officially don't have an official accent..

Well, I saw that video in the recommended videos on Youtube.

About the WAD: this design is weird, strange and non-intuitive, levels consist of mostly natural outside areas with rocks and grass. I ever not see a good Plutonia room layouts.

Excellent video. I think this is the only way to enjoy shit wads, getting someone else to play them and sit there highly amused as a stream of profanities pour out.

Well done @Doomkid, you took one for the team!

Just like to know, what the fuck are people doing downloading this shite still? 208 downloads so far! C'mon folks, sort it out! 

Defo troll wad, high quality at that.  

This is the last wad I played this year. I speedran it with the exits on half the spawns until I got to one map in the middle that's essentially a maze with like 50 bfg troopers. Scythe II style troopers but with bfgs. Like some chinese ghoul's forest rip off or something. Could probably tell where I quit the wad

could rename it to plutonia 3: poe's law