what happened to the 5th generation of consoles?

Hell, I thought the jump to 3D gaming in home consoles was awesome overall. I guess CD piracy / cartridge storage was an issue but clearly not enough so to deter people from buying consoles or to deter developers from making great games. The thread title kind of implies that was well known as a bad era for console gaming or something, yet nearly every person I knew at the time revered either the PSX or N64 and most people seem to recall them fondly even today.

Side note: I think it's funny how cartridges were such a 'bad mark' against Nintendo at the time due to limited storage. No one ever thought about how well games last, obviously - if you so much as look at a CD the wrong way it's completely fucked, but cartridges can withstand the apocalypse. In retrospect I'm very glad they went with carts because they've all stood the test of time and it doesn't feel necessary to handle the games like delicate priceless china or something, unlike old CD-based games.

Edited by Doomkid
2 people like this

Thankfully,it was not so problematic anyway, considering games like Mario 64.

1 person likes this

The PSX ports of PC 3D games did have rather framerate issues, with some of them also having grainy graphics.

Why there isn't any way to delete posts?

Granted that early polygonal graphics have not stood the test of time as a whole, but games like WipEout still look awesome.

Also as a footnote, people are still making new games for the Dreamcast ...

It was pretty silly of Sony to demand games on their system be in 3D. I get that they were trying to show off its 3D functionality but you really don't want to neuter the creative abilities of your developers like that. Presumably, Capcom forced them to allow 2D Megaman by threatening to withhold Resident Evil if they didn't.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

It was pretty silly of Sony to demand games on their system be in 3D. I get that they were trying to show off its 3D functionality but you really don't want to neuter the creative abilities of your developers like that. Presumably, Capcom forced them to allow 2D Megaman by threatening to withhold Resident Evil if they didn't.

Bad mistake by Sony.