Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Bloody Rust 3 (Now on IDGames!)

Hmm normally I make slaughtery maps (won't make it stupid hard like some of my maps) but if you're alright with that, Ill make a map :p

4 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

Hmm normally I make slaughtery maps (won't make it stupid hard like some of my maps) but if you're alright with that, Ill make a map :p

Slaughter maps are above my skill level so I may not be able to give proper testing feedback. Though I'm sure @Killer5 who is the #1 fan of the Bloody Rust series & lover of all things difficult will be able to step in for me. So go ahead.

3 hours ago, NoReason said:

those textures are cool, I might try my hand at this if you'll have me :)

Yeah go ahead.

So I figured if I'm to put together a map for this I should probably play through the existing episodes just to get a feel for the project, and though I'm still not done yet, it's been interesting to see the evolution of the theme and setting from Bloody Rust to Bloody Rust 2.  I hope that whatever I can put together measures up to the standards of the project!

(Also: Bloody Rust 2 MAP04, the first time you're spotted and squeeze the trigger and there's that horrifying shriek sounding from somewhere in the bowels of the map?  Nearly made me jump out of my skin in a wonderful sort of way.)

Yeah good idea, I've done the same. Surprisingly, I've never heard of Bloody Rust up 'til now.

Recently, I've been adding the area to the right and more than a few traps around the whole place. After hearing Tarnsman mention (on an old stream of his) that Plutonia's most common enemy was the Chaingunner, I've been trying to add more of them. I've also learned about flood fill (shift+middle mouse-button) which is quite helpful. I started looking at midis before remembering there's no need for that. Getting to hear Alfonzo's track is a prime motivator for finishing this sooner rather than later!

Edit: uses the custom resources now so less chaingunners and more autoshotgunners. Testing a lot to get that balance of not having too much stuff but still enough to get by.  Aiming to be challenging, but always testing to finish it in a reasonable fashion without saves. Will be interesting to see it tested by others a bit later, then I'll get to find out whether 'hard' for me is also 'hard' for other people or not. My gf was not able to finish it :p

br3-1.JPG

br3-2.JPG

Edited by mappr : updated map image again

@Jaws In Space

Can you update the OP? It looks like your mapset filled up, but the OP still lists only 2 mappers (you and A7MAD).

What was the target date to be finished with the mapping?

So...progress?

7RCQ6Ty.png

Niu1itG.png

nuzCR8I.png

I may have misjudged some of the monster replacements btw, some of them are rather tough. tho, they are pretty neat for the most part, especially the fake vile and mini cyber.

Possibly a silly question: is it intentional (and unavoidable) that the arachnotron uses the same projectile as the modified demon, altering the arachnotron's combat performance somewhat, or is this an indication that I'm doing something unintended when loading the resources WAD?

35 minutes ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

Possibly a silly question: is it intentional (and unavoidable) that the arachnotron uses the same projectile as the modified demon, altering the arachnotron's combat performance somewhat, or is this an indication that I'm doing something unintended when loading the resources WAD?

Mine does the same, I assume it's intentional but hopefully Jaws can answer definitively, and perhaps update the OP as Pegleg suggested too.

My map is going well, 120+ monsters in it should end up under 200 at this rate I think, not too long a map. Would like to get something out for testing in another week hopefully.

7 hours ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

Yeah that's a limitation of DeHackEd. I had to pick a projectile from an existing monster. I chose the Arachnotron projectile because it was the most threatening due to its speed. I changed up the visual appearance of the projectile for Bloody Rust 3 due to complaints received from Bloody Rust 2.

Bloody Rust 2's plasma-spitting dark-grey demons were definitely something repeatedly caught me off my guard when I was playing through the WAD over the past week or so; I think it's their ability to rapidly get into a surprising position plus the projectile speed that makes them so good at quickly nipping off a vicious little chunk of the player's health.

Updated map, link is in a new post. It's quite large and difficult with no difficulty settings actually implemented yet because I had some issues with crashing so I was focusing on that first. It appears that the Spider Mastermind causes some sort of crash because I was forced to remove all of them from this map for it to work in Prboom+ (although I'm really just making guesses based off observation here). This is still a wip, I will be adding difficulty settings after I'm 100% sure this map is stable.

Edited by NoReason : updated map

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. D: I forgot to tell everyone. Don't place Spider Masterminds in your map. I had to take frames from it in order to get a few of the other DeHackEd monsters to work.

^^ I am surprised you haven't thought of that one . Anyhow I am glad that more people are joining in on this 

@NoReason awesome looking map dude! As soon as I saw the architecture and layout I was like "when I check the monster count it's gonna be in the thousands huh", haha. I don't usually play slaughtermaps but I'll have to try get through this one (eventually).

After grabbing the bfg in the room on the left, and starting all those crushers, I'm not sure what to do next. I'm not able to press the other switch that opens up, is this a bug or am I just missing something?

It feels kinda weird going back to my map after yours, not quite the same sense of large-scale grandeur :p

I won't have mine out to play just yet, I'm going away this weekend, but I'm taking a long train ride so I think it'll be fun to try and do some more mapping then. At the moment I'm working on what is currently the last major area, which I want to feel a bit more traditional and less open than my other spaces. More corridors and ancillary fights before a bigger ending. Think I need to play some more wads for inspiration first.

Screenshot_Doom_20190124_124144.png

@NoReason Ahhh thanks. Perhaps you need something to differentiate it more? Like a shootable switch texture or inset it further in the wall? I just didn't think to shoot it because it looks like the other switches you press and it's within using distance.

BRnoFDA.zip

Made a fda demo for your map... @NoReason

BFG fight - kind of an odd way to start the fight, using a switch then after having to punch the next switch but yeah maybe just make the first switch a shoot switch.. Also maybe to many power ups for that fight as I had a bunch left over (think I only used 2 megas? ) 

The hallway after - maybe try some other monsters, spectres/imps were kind of no threat :D

Other path you can take at the start - first little encounter with just a berserk pack ( I think ) seems a little silly with the archvile guy especially when the other path to go gets a BFG right away.. don't think anyone will go that way, so makes the map kind of linear. 

Could add basic weapons at the start ( shotgun/chaingun ) so you don't pick them up during encounters.

Hell Knight/Demon encounter - this might be more of a question for Jaws but it felt like Hell knights have more HP in this?  Anyway I liked that encounter but all the power ups in the middle of all the monsters are kind of pointless as you can't get to them till after the encounter :p

Big fight - epic arena but the fight as is, is pretty much a big circle strafe and then when things calm down and you have a bunch of guys in the middle you can't really get close to them cause the viles in the middle.. I think those viles should be around the outer edge of the arena tbh so you have to stay closer to the center, at some point when the outer walls open up these viles can be crushed (if you place them in cages around the wall edge or something) and then I think those 1k cacos should open up instead of having that Switch release them since most people will probably wait to hit that switch and then its just 1k cacos ( and a few PEs ) in a huge arena ( no threat at all ).

Dont think i was able to get to the secret fight as you can't leave the final arena when its done.

So yeah overall the map kind of reminded me of a map you would play from Combat Shock 1.

19 minutes ago, Bdubzzz said:

Made a fda demo for your map...

thanks for playing! yeah, there's definitely going to be some significant changes to that last fight since that was what i felt i had the most difficulty with balancing but I'm glad to get some feedback on other parts of the map as well :) i'll check out that demo soon.

7 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

Hell Knight/Demon encounter - this might be more of a question for Jaws but it felt like Hell knights have more HP in this?

Nope I left these guys alone.

I finally decided to stop procrastinating so here's the updated map

Difficulty settings are now implemented, last fight is revamped.

I'll go ahead and title the map "Instability" since I don't really have a good name for it.

Nice, I think the last fight is good now, it is hard in comparison to the rest of the map now (probably) but its not a big circle strafe with little effort, now its.. tactically have to route which way to go knowing there are possibly lots of rockets heading in your direction and you have the opportunities to try to take out viles around the edges but its not so easy to clear them until near the end of the fight. There was a little grind clean up at the end (cacos and hell knights) but I think there weren't to many. I guess you could add even more cybruisers (like 50 ) but idk if that would get to crazy with cross fire rockets :p 

I've been playing to much doom lately, was there any kind of deadline you wanted a map by? Also if anyone wanted my spot, that's cool. If not well I have vacation from work in 2 weeks and during that week its a guarantee ill make something. :p 

15 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

I've been playing to much doom lately, was there any kind of deadline you wanted a map by? Also if anyone wanted my spot, that's cool. If not well I have vacation from work in 2 weeks and during that week its a guarantee ill make something. :p 

There isn't any real deadline for this project. I'd like the maps sooner than later, but this project has been going on for over a year now, so a few more weeks wont kill me.

@Jaws In Space you can probably open up my slot, it wasn't my intention to firmly "claim" a slot in the first place and my experiments with the resource pack haven't amounted to anything substantial.  My apologies for not confirming this sooner, I was hoping that inspiration would strike but... well, that's not the way it works is it?

Well i wasn't really liking my map so i kept putting it off to the side but I think I will start a fresh map tonight/tomorrow and see if I can get something going. If that changes I will inform you asap about opening my slot :D