Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Bloody Rust 3 (Now on IDGames!)

15 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

Did anyone actually want my map slot? I don't want to hold up this project forever ;p 

Joe-Ilya claimed a map over on Doomerboards, I though he had given up on the project a few month's back so I didn't put his name down in the OP, but it appears that he is close to finishing a map so he gets your spot.

3 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Is there still some time and slot for me to map for this project?

I'm sorry to say, but at this time all slots are filled.

20 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I'm sorry to say, but at this time all slots are filled.

No problem. I was away from Doomworld from a bit, and I was looking some project to flex my old muscles again. But I've found other community projects so it's ok.

Hi all, just a quick update for you all. Progress has been made! This weekend I got a new map from nxgangrel a returning mapper from the first Bloody Rust. You can check it out here. Claustrophobia Machine With that we are now waiting on the final map submission.

plJc4nY.png

Really good midi, that's in my top 5 Alfonzo midis.

Also I suppose this is a good time to mention that this project has all 6 maps & all that we are waiting on now is 4 more midis from Alfonzo.

Thanks! The noose is around my musical neck, now, but that's okay. I made my bed and now I have to sleep in it make MIDIs in it really, really fast.

Some fine maps here, too. I think joe has come a long way. He's got the messy playground market pinned down pretty well, at this point, and I know that sounds like a backhanded compliment but it isn't!

5 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

A small Soul Clamp for Claustrophobia Machine. Hopefully the player won't die often enough for this to get too repetitive...

Nice & spooky, I like it.

"Really, really fast" is a relative phrase. I'm sure I look like bolt lightning to... I dunno, a mollusk or something. Definitely not snakes.

Speaking of which, here's a Copperhead for dt_'s map. I hope you like it. It's a bit different.

Hey everyone the Bloody Rust 3 beta is available to download here Download Beta Feel free to leave us any feedback. All of the maps should be compatible with PRBoom, so if they aren't let us know so we can fix it. Final release will be April 1st, so get us that feedback before then.

@dt_ & @NoReason I released the beta a little bit earlier on Doomerborads & Joe-Ilya left you some feedback. I'll just post it here so you can decide if you want to address any of his complaints.

MAP03 : Best looking map with some great atmosphere!
I still have some complaints though, that drop down to the lava on the way to the yellow key has two hell knights that aren't fun to kill with a pump shotgun, I feel like replacing them with a group of imps would work wonders, making them all infight will take more effort and killing less of a grind.
Some of the doors that surround the player spawn are untextured and pegged.
There's too many pillars in the arch-vile arena that make it not a challenge at all, if it was only two pillars, with one being raised while the other one is lowered, it would be make the player run back and forth behind the pillars while avoiding fireballs and AV fire.
Teleporters in the inescapable lava pits would be good, do they really add anything to the gameplay besides bullshit? If you don't want people walking willy nilly on the lava with the radiation suits, then maybe only limit them for the lava-crusher maze so that it won't be abused for safe lava camping.
The weird lava lift in the lava-crusher maze is not very clear, why not give it a texture of a lift? I got lost for a bit because of it.

MAP06 : Flow could be improved a bit by removing the small BFG trap and cutting straight to the meat of it, which is the encounter that's afterwards.
I'm no slaughterfest expert, but it feels the last arena is way too luck based because of the AVs, because sometimes they'll just start attacking from miles away, maybe another set of pillars will remedy this.
There's also way too many enemy types cobbled together over there, the best solution I found was to provoke infighting and only until it all comes down to the remaining hell knights and cacos. If you limit the enemy types to just the AVs, revenants, cybruisers and the complimentary cacos, then the infighting strategy won't be as useful and would encourage players to further use the BFG.

Using GZDoom. A few minor things.

Spoiler

-------
MAP01
-------
The MIDSPACE grate next to the exit is not tagged impassable, so I exited the map accidentally. Was that an oops, or a secret way to exit the map without fighting the last AV?

-------
MAP02
-------
It's possible to run off the side of the walkway, end up in the Yellow Key secret and then up in the PE secret without crossing linedef tag 1 to open the way out of the PE secret; softlocked. The PE secret is empty, so why is it secret? And the lift to get into the PE secret is also tagged secret.

There are two Stimpacks just past the Yellow Key door, against the wall. When the sector tag 10 door behind them opens, they float, but only in ZDoom, not GZDoom. Odd quirk.

-------
MAP03
-------
Why is there BFALLx dropping into lava everywhere? DBRAINx is a lava fall texture, isn't it?

Missing textures on sector tagged 39.

-------

MAP05

-------

Is there a hint to the Berserk secret? The wall textures all match, the light level is low, and the door doesn't show up on the automap.

-------

MAP06

-------

Beautiful architecture, but still a slaughtermap. At least there were no PEs.

I have enjoyed playing this series. I like the industrial, semi-Quake feel. If you can make it through Bloody Rust 5, you'll have enough to combine into a full megawad.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel : Missed a note. Dammit, missed another note.

Cheers for the feedback and bug reports about m3, I will hear some of the issues and make a few minor changes (along with setting a par time) over the next few days

Good to see the beta is out. I appreciate the feedback from Joe-Ilya, although taking out the AVs in that last fight can definitely be consistent. I will have a look at that last room at some point anyway although iirc I didn't really intend it to be too BFG spammy until cleanup.

Alright everybody this is your 10 day reminder, if you plan to make any updates to your maps get them to me asap, the wad goes onto the archive on April 1st.

I played the beta, for the most part it was fun. I have to say I'm not a big fan of the death pits in MAP03 and I absolutely hated MAP06. Not nearly enough ammo in the earlier rooms, some of the item placements are too in the way I have to juggle not picking those and dodging projectiles. The last room I don't even want to say anything about that. Visually it's great though.

I don't see the reason of having that Helion thing though. Does it not resurrect or something? I never noticed the difference between Archvile and that. It seems to have more health though.