Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tracermemes

What's your favorite console and a few games you used to play on it?

Arcade cabinets count.
For me it would probably be the original XBOX. Had some good times with the machine, especially with both of the Halo games and Blinx the Time Sweeper. Pretty much kept me company for years.

It must be the first Playstation. Easily the best of its era for looks, reliability and the huge range of titles on offer. I played mostly FPS titles like Doom, Descent, Hexen, Exhumed (Powerslave) and Duke Nukem, though Andretti Racing was also a favourite.  

I later came to play PS1 titles on a PS2, preserving the old PSX in near-mint condition in its original box, complete with the demo disc and handbook. But because of the very large number of consoles sold, it's probably not worth a huge amount even in that state.

Edited by Summer Deep

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Playstation 2.  Gran Turismo 3, Timesplitters 2, and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King were my favorites on it.

2 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

It must be the first Playstation. Easily the best of its era for looks, reliability and the huge range of titles on offer. I played mostly FPS titles like Doom, Descent, Hexen, Exhumed (Powerslave) and Duke Nukem, though Andretti Racing was also a favourite.  

Don't blame ya. PS had some great ports.

I love the N64 for gaming memories with my brother but I love the original Xbox for gaming memories with friends.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Duke 64, Duke Zero Hour, Mario Party games, Super Smash, Vigilante 8, Rogue Squadron

The Warriors, Red Dead Revolver, Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect, Counter Strike, Unreal Championship 2, Doom 3 coop, Nightfire, Area 51, Stubbs the Zombie, Darkwatch, Freedom Fighters

Legitimately can't decide between the two.

Edited by wheresthebeef

Probably the Gamecube, my 6th Gen Console. 5th Gen had a lot of great games , too, but the 6th Generation is when things started really heating up in terms of 3D, since they had more experience with it and it was becoming the norm. Games like Metroid Prime, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and Resident Evil 4 really made me excited for the future of gaming.

SNES, that was my childhood right there. Used to love Donkey Kong 1 and 3 (Didn't have 2nd cartridge), Mario All Stars, Mortal Kombat 3, Top Gear 3 and SPARKSTER absolutely (Konami's hidden gem, play it if you don't know). I used to dream about sparkster as a child :p On PS1 I loved Twisted Metal, the Digimon games and whatever, long history.

Playstation 2

It introduced me to the world of video games in the most amazing way possible for me. My first game was an undervalued beast that I still adore called Spy Hunter, incredibly fun, cinematic and enjoyable for me back then, I learned about the discs and started to try other gems, RE4, Bloody Roar 3, Onimusha, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal Black, GTA Liberty City Stories, Black, SOCOM, Gran Turismo 3, each and every one of these games gave me the best moments of my life.

Either the Sony Playstation or Sega MegaDrive , too tough to choose between them. The MegaDrive got me into Sonic , Streets Of Rage , Golden Axe , Space Harrier  and The PSX gave me Doom , Resident Evil , Tomb Raider , GTA...... Such great consoles and amazing games.

It wasn't my first, but I played a TON of Sega Genesis growing up, so I can't help but think of it as my favorite.  Even now, I turn to that (and arcade games) first when I want to play something older.  The only other consoles that are even close to it are the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 and NeoGeo.

Genesis: Ranger-X, Sonic 1 and 2, Splatterhouse 3, Phantasy Star 4, Zero Tolerance, King Salmon,

PC Engine: Soldier Blade, the Bonk series, Splatterhouse, Dead Moon, Military Madness

NeoGeo: Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, The Last Blade 2 (still own my copy of the first), SNK vs Capcom: SvC Chaos

Either PS1 or N64. Both very influential consoles during my child/teen years. I played my N64 / PS1 games long after their successors came out. Admittedly in PS1's case I played the games on my PS2 once it came out, so you could argue I used the PS2 more, but I played PS1 games.

Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Stadium (1 & 2), Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Puzzle League (Basically Tetris Attack for N64)

Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Worms, Diablo, Silent Bomber, Final Fantasy VIII, Grandia, Jade Cocoon, Azure Dreams...

The above games just scrape the surface, too. <3

PS2 was the only console I owned. Used to play a game called "Shadow of the Colossus" like crazy. Still run that using PS2 emulator on my PC whenever I miss the old days. Later it came out as an HD version on PS3 as well along with a related game called "ICO", neither of which I could play due to them being console exclusives. Now they're gonna launch a PS4 version of SoTC I believe... aww man..

On the subject, the Nintendo Switch is very quickly becoming a modern favourite for me. It's already more enjoyable than the PS4 for me. (I've not played XBOne, but it's basically a PS4, lets be honest.)

It seems that the games for the Switch are of an insanely high quality despite how recent the console is, and the selection of games is seemingly growing at a decent speed.

One word: PlayStation.

I can't say I played too many PlayStation games over the years, especially with my parents not allowing any consoles into our home until I got a used PS1 in 2012, but some of my favorite games on the system include Crash Bandicoot 2 and Tekken 3. I played the shit out of those two games as a kid.

Having friends with less restrictive parents had its benefits.

I was a Playstation guy too. So many great games in the PS1's and PS2's library.

1) I guess my favourite of the two is the PS2 and I played a lot of:

Spoiler
  • Crash of the Titans (at least 5 times completed, although I usually play games once)
  • Crash Tag Team Racing (awesome game, with a unique idea about combining cars with other drivers) 
  • God of War 1 (never played 2 and while my friends always recommended it to me, I kept playing 1, until I finished it)
  • Gran Turismo 4 (nothing like bragging to your friends at school, for having more supercars, or racing against them when we would meet)
  • Spy vs Spy (fun cartoon, a bit annoying for a game)
  • Neopets the Darkest Fairie (a hidden gem imo and I felt it resembled Zelda at some aspects of the gameplay)
  • Spongebob Globs of Doom (it's ok)
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Warrior Within (never finished those, but they rocked!)

2) Then goes the PSP which I had since the beginning of primary school. Some of the games I liked were:

Spoiler
  • Ratchet and Clank Size Matters (I had almost 100%ed it)
  • Daxter (I searched for this game for 5 whole years, because I once borrowed it from a videoclub and I couldn't remember its name -it was seriously worth it-)
  • Burnout Legends (beaten it many times - fun sports game)
  • Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (also really fun game with Altair in Cyprus)
  • Patapon 2 and 3 (cool rhythm games, unlike anything I have played so far)

3) Finally, I had fun with the GBA SP. I enjoyed playing:

Spoiler
  • Pokemon Firered (got 120 1st Gen pokemon, because the rest couldn't be acquired with just one copy of the game)
  • Pokemon Crystal (had an unfortunate save corruption, but I managed to finish the game before that happened)
  • Doom 1 (I had to play it and it wasn't bad at all, although the controls felt a bit awkward at first)
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong (a great puzzle game on the GBA, with good controls)

Original Xbox, because that's when I got serious with console gaming until a few years ago.

Some of my favorite Xbox games were BLACK, Halo, Halo 2, Darkwatch, Painkiller Hell Wars.

My NES, I still have it, but don't really play it any more. Games played include: ExciteBike. Pinball. Mario 1. Double Dragon. Punch-Out. Those are the only good ones I can think of right now.

My childhood mainly consisted of PC, PS1, PS2, GBA, and Xbox 360 and I'm probably gonna have to go with the Xbox here. MW2 alone was hands-down the game I was into the most. I think I sold my Xbox 360 when I had about 45d played in that game alone. If you do the math, that's a lot of hours. 

I still get chills and senses of nostalgia when I think of all of my friends and I getting 12-man private lobbies of quickscope matches on Rust. Or going into S&D and shit talking with all the little kids and getting called the n word. And the maps in that game were flawless. Anyway, it was my first major experience with online multiplayer gaming and it just happened to be the console that all of my friends had. I played a lot of games in the past, but not nearly as much as I played MW2 on the 360. 

Back when I was a kid the only consoles I ever owned were a couple of NES ones, so it's bound to also be my favorite. I never owned a Xbox, Playstation, and anything else from the consoles category.

I think I literally had almost a hundred game cartridges but I unfortunately do not remember the name of the vast majority of them, the few games whose name I remember are the ones I played extensively, more exactly Super Mario, Chip & Dales, and Contra, the latter being my very first shooter and the one responsible for getting me into them, a game I played to death, and the game my parents utterly despised for all these (because a couple years later when I got my third and first modern PC I started playing Counter-Strike thanks to Contra, a game I was forbid to play sometime after I turned 10, and until I turned 13, because it was supposedly "a dumb game that's cultivating evil, violence, and stupidity inside me" (my mother shared some rather obscure ideas and views when it came to the games I played along a few other things, there's no doubt about this)). I also had a couple of racing and fighting games (there was a japanese-themed fighting game I loved and played even more than Contra, but I no longer remember its name). Either way, all things considered, I did have a pretty varied library.

The sad, or more unlucky side of things would be that I had no one to share the experience with. Out of all friends I had (and some I still do to this day), literally no one ever owned, let alone played, on such a console. Nowadays I also regret getting rid of the consoles and all the games I had for the platform (for some reason my parents thought I had grown up and had to toss them out by the time I got my first PC), I kinda threw out my childhood in a sense, hell, I don't even have any of the Windows 95 machines anymore, the only one I still have in my basement is the first modern PC with which I was stuck for almost a decade. Now decades later, I wish I still had the consoles, or at the very least some of the game cartridges, to hold them in my hands and remember those simpler (and in many aspects, better) times when I also had nothing to worry about, but sadly that's never going to happen. The games I had on the Win 95 machines were installed by a family friend from his own collection, so I never had any physical copies of them around. Coming back to the NES games, a simultaneously fun and weird habit I had was that, whenever the games wouldn't want to work, I'd lick the part which was inserted into the console, and it'd work afterwards with no problems :v .

Edited by Agent6

Probably the PS2, as far the games go, Gran Turismo 4, lots of events, with a great mix of rally racing, endurance, as well manufacture one-make races, euro, american and japanese specific events, great selection of cars, ranging from 1886 to 2005, as well the 2022 Nike One concept car, the big 3 ps2 exclusives, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Sly, lots of hours to be spent, great replay value, Tourist Trophy, think GT4 but with motorbikes, a great but undervalued game that deserves a sequel, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix, the costumization is superb in this one, lot's of options and a great selection of cars, motorbikes and choppers, as well some concept cars which deserve more attention, like the Cadillac Sixteen, the Chrysler Me-Two Four Twelve, just to name a few, DBZ BT1 and 3, the first one is a mixed bag, as it had a rocky start, but they got the gameplay right on 2, however it's on 3, that it reached it's peak in terms of gameplay, despite having the shortest story mode.

I've only had a few consoles in my life, my favorite being the PS2, I still have one.

It has an amazing library with more than dozens of titles I go back to, such as Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi, Metal Gear Solid 3, Dragon Quest 8 and many others.

Second in place would be the PSP, lasted me a few good years before I gifted it to a friend, I probably spent thousands of hours hunting in Monster Hunter and God Eater, also playing things such as Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and Ultimate Ghost n' Goblins.

PS2: Devil May Cry 1-3, Silent Hill 2-4, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto III-VC-SA-LCS, Manhunt 1-2, Bully, Scarface: The World Is Yours, The Suffering 1-2, Red Faction, Soldier of Fortune, Half-Life, Quake III Revolution.

E: Forgot a couple, BloodRayne and Run Like Hell.

Edited by cyan0s1s

Gonna have to say it's the PS2. So many great games -- Metal Gear Solid 3, The Warriors, Silent Hill, the original Manhunt, the III-era GTA games. King's Field 4 too.

For me it would either be the SNES or the N64. I grew up playing the SNES a lot and rented games for it all the time from Blockbuster. I always thought it had such a strong library with games like Contra III: The Alien Wars (my single most replayed game in existence by a longshot), Mega Man X1-X3, Super Metroid, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter II Turbo, Axelay, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Castlevania IV, Super Bomberman 2, Hagane: The Final Conflict (HUGELY underrated game), Super Turrican 1 and 2, Killer Instinct, Cybernator, Run Saber, Goof Troop, seriously the list goes on...

As for the N64, that was the first time I ever got to experience a new console coming out, which was exciting because I always familiarized with the NES and especially the SNES for a while. My parents came home one day I guess in 1997 with an N64 and Star Fox 64. We had that for a while before eventually getting Super Mario 64, and my sister and I had to take turns playing that game. Then of course a whole new library of games was available to rent from Blockbuster again so I had a great time with that, along with friends who introduced me to games like Jet Force Gemini (another all-time favorite), Perfect Dark, Rampage: World Tour and Donkey Kong 64. Other favorites I discovered on my own were the original Super Smash Bros., Mischief Makers (I actually got to play this one while it was still fairly new), Bomberman 64, Bomberman Hero, GoldenEye, Killer Instinct Gold, Conker's Bad Fur Day (for the multiplayer mode to be honest), Mario Party games, Mario Kart 64, Shadows of The Empire, Doom 64, Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie...again, so many great titles to choose from.

23 hours ago, Ajora said:

Nothing beats the PS2.

I really gotta commend the PS2 for having such an amazingly broad library. This would actually probably be next on my list - and Contra: Shattered Soldier is a very strong contender for the best Contra to have ever been released. I so wish we'd get another one like it these days.

Has to be PS1, so many great games and memories on it.

The games i probably played the most on it.

Tekken 2

Doom

Crash Bandicoot

Tomb Raider 2

Resident Evil

Silent Hill

Disruptor

Pandemonium

True Pinball

Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain

I'm seeing tons of love for the legendary PS2! That was my first console and is easily my favourite!

Here's some of my favourite games:

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue (for a cartoony kids platformer that is one hell of a name), Return to Castle Wolfenstien: Operation Resurrection, ALL the LEGO games (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, ALL of the ones on PS2), Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (not the best Spyro game, but its the one I grew up with and thus blind nostalgia), The Legend of Spyro: a New Beginning (I need to get the other two at some point), Bionicle Heroes, Spider-Man (for the PS1), Space Invaders (also for the PS1), and many more that would take forever for me to list so I'm gonna leave it here.