Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
razortip

Doom v1.1 (Registered) Floppies

I ran across my original floppies of Doom v1.1 (Registered) with box, manual and v1.2 patch disk. I can't really find any other recent v1.1's for sale. Does anyone know what this might be worth?

IMG_20171221_215814-02.jpg

I found the original game on ebay for 255$. And the highest price I could find of Doom 2 was 80$. Just so you know.

Why pay for media you can't even use any more? And them being floppies, they may damage at any time, especially if you expose them.

Depending on their condition, the price would range between around 100$ to over 200 from what I see on the internet. Either way, since floppy disks have been abandoned for decades, the only purpose they'd serve now would be valuable collectors items.

One of the reasons I feel that DOOM boxes are more valued is that you can know that somebody actually called or mailed id to obtain it. This wasn't just walking in to a store and picking it off the shelf, like with DOOM II. In that way, it's more of a 'personal' artefact and more valuable as a historical comment.

55 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I have seen some listings that include a separate addendum booklet.  Is it missing, or was it not included in all mail-order copies?

I don't remember ever having one, but it could have gotten separated. I was thinking it only came with later versions.

To be fair they look like they're in really good condition. A serious collector of the Doom series or just a video game enthusiast would pay good money for them. 

If it was the mail-order CD-ROM version instead of the floppy version, I would probably be interested (although a CD-ROM version would likely be extremely expensive due to its rarity).  I don't really collect floppy disks aside from very specific releases of certain games (and only if they have relatively low prices, as I don't really like paying a lot of money for something that may not work or I may not be able to use...even if it is a collector's item).

Original boxed copies of Doom are not hugely rare and tend to go on eBay for anywhere from $50 up to a couple hundred dollars, depending on condition, rarity, and luck. (It's actually harder to find the comic book based on the game than the actual game itself, ironically enough.) If you do decide to list it, make sure to play up the fact that it is version 1.1, the ORIGINAL VERSION, not one of those cheap inferior v1.2 or v1.666 poseurs. Also that v1.2 patch disk is unusual and not someting I am sure I have seen before, which might help make the package more esoteric and valuable.

From a quick search here's a recent listing of a v1.2 copy that sold for $187, so you should be shooting for somewhere north of that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOM-PC-Game-Original-registered-v1-2-Vintage-3-5-Floppy-Disks-Box-and-Book/272893769679?hash=item3f89bc77cf:g:9bEAAOSwl9RZ6LU9

Edit: as a more direct comparison, here's a thread from last year where a guy was selling his good-condition registered Doom v1.1, and it apparently went for over $300:

See if you can get John Romero to sign it. If you do, the sky is the limit, based on that signed non-1.1 getting as much as it did. 

On 22.12.2017 at 7:13 AM, printz said:

they may damage at any time

They WILL be damaged at any time. But dd is your friend.

I made backups using dd for all of my floppy disks some years ago.