Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ozku

Mountain Base - My first release

Hello Doomworld! I finally managed to finish something I started. This wad has two small levels I made for vanilla Doom 2.

The maps are techbase themed, mostly filled with low-tier monsters but expect to see a couple encounters intended to ramp up the challenge a bit.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Name: Mountain Base
Map Format: Doom
Ports Tested: Chocolate Doom, GZDoom
IWAD: Doom 2
Maps: MAP01-02
Gameplay: Single play
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: No
Build Time: About a week
Music: The Imp's Song by Bobby Prince, "Horizon" by Tom Mustaine
Textures: Sky texture based on Doom 2 rsky3

Screenshots:

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/file/5sxnwu20aav30si/MNTBASE.zip

I liked these maps. There was definitely some good visual design as well as level flow. I thought the maps would be shorter, since you said "small maps," but over 100 enemies on Hurt Me Plenty and two keys is not all that short.

I, for one, enjoy and prefer the simplicity of something that feels classic Doom, so I also liked that. I really don't have anything to nitpick. I thought the combat was pretty solid too. I guess I was a tad bit short on ammo a couple times, but just enough to notice, not really enough to be annoying. Perhaps one other thing is I was sad to see just one secret in Map 1, seeing as it did end up being not so short. And I didn't find any of them in Map 2, but I really did not look too hard.

I wasn't sure the sky was what you intended, so I tried it on GZDoom, PrBoom+, Crispy, and Chocolate, and it was always the same. I thought it was a little odd with the blue rectangles and sudden change to black.

Hi!

Below please find my videos. These two maps were really cool. What I did like:

- nice barrel placement

- threathening traps

- fair play

- limited backtracking

- clear result of switch-press

Thanks for the feedback! The videos are especially helpful since I haven't seen anyone else play these maps besides myself.

7 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I liked these maps. There was definitely some good visual design as well as level flow. I thought the maps would be shorter, since you said "small maps," but over 100 enemies on Hurt Me Plenty and two keys is not all that short.

I'll keep this in mind in future.

7 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I wasn't sure the sky was what you intended, so I tried it on GZDoom, PrBoom+, Crispy, and Chocolate, and it was always the same. I thought it was a little odd with the blue rectangles and sudden change to black.

Yeah, I intended the blue hue to be light in the horizon but it obviously didn't come out that well.

Nice. I like how you used short lava fall texture. Technically is well done. Maybe you can try to participate in community projects next time.

Also welcome to Doomworld.

UV-Max demos of both maps: Wintertowns Mountain Base.zip

Really enjoyed the vanilla feel, and was strangely reminded of HALO: Combat Evolved and Dark Forces II mapdesign for some reason.

I think the last big encounters of both maps could have used some blocked exits though, as they were kind of easy to exploit at the moment.

Cheers and congrats on the release!

Lovely. I'd play an episode or two of maps like this.

I liked the over and under progression at the start of map two, as well as its moody outdoors area.

Perhaps too many teleporting monsters towards the end? I always prefer it if they're introduced to the area more organically (things like the arachnotron in the outdoors area is always fine as you don't see them teleport in). Not every room needs to be trapped either. Although I do like me some traps.

@Ozku, the recordings of the maps look good. You said this is your first release, but how long have you been mapping? 

42 minutes ago, Job said:

@Ozku, the recordings of the maps look good. You said this is your first release, but how long have you been mapping? 

I have occasionally messed around with doombuilder for two years or so, but never actually finished a map for Doom before these. I made two maps for Sven Coop back in 2008-2010 if that counts.

I liked the maps, nothing bad to say about them.

The theme/gameplay are very generic, something done a million times, but the layouts managed to have some uniqueness. Recorded my playthrough:

Thanks for the feedback, I really liked the presentation of your video!