Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

Hey guys! I fixed some problems in my map, so i changed the link in my post. Gameplay is the same, i just fixed some textures problems.

Ooof So I Have Like 3 Different Unfinished  Maps For This Project. I Think I Should Be Finished With The Map Im Going With In 2 Or 3 Weeks. Would Take Less Time If I Had Time And No School.

Also Someone Give Me Advice For Creating Scripted Events And Such. Im Quite New To Mapping So

Just now, Percival232 said:

Ooof So I Have Like 3 Different Unfinished  Maps For This Project. I Think I Should Be Finished With The Map Im Going With In 2 Or 3 Weeks. Would Take Less Time If I Had Time And No School.

Also Someone Give Me Advice For Creating Scripted Events And Such. Im Quite New To Mapping So

What, in particular, would you like to do? Feel free to send me a DM, I'll try to answer your question or direct you to someone who can.

2 hours ago, Percival232 said:

Could You Please Stop Typing Like This, It Is Pretty Annoying. Also If You Want Help About Scripting You Should Read The Section Of The ZDoom Wiki On ACS https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS Or Zscript https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

20 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Could You Please Stop Typing Like This, It Is Pretty Annoying. Also If You Want Help About Scripting You Should Read The Section Of The ZDoom Wiki On ACS https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS Or Zscript https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

Personally I don't see anything wrong with him asking for help from others, although that section is useful i only really understood the info on the wiki after personally dabbling in scripts for a while and looking at other's scripts before that.

@94's the best style @therektafire

I've been putting together my level and I have a few questions about implementation within the context of this project and the expectation for levels and play.

1. Are you planning to have a hub where players will start from scratch after each map, similarly to the DMP's?

2. Or are you envisioning an episodic structure where the player continues from one map to the next with all gear intact?

3. While you've said that you're relatively open to anything, is the expectation that the maps WILL contain the two new weapons instead of the stock weapons that they would replace?

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

@94's the best style @therektafire

I've been putting together my level and I have a few questions about implementation within the context of this project and the expectation for levels and play.

1. Are you planning to have a hub where players will start from scratch after each map, similarly to the DMP's?

2. Or are you envisioning an episodic structure where the player continues from one map to the next with all gear intact?

3. While you've said that you're relatively open to anything, is the expectation that the maps WILL contain the two new weapons instead of the stock weapons that they would replace?

The two new weapons exist alongside the stock weapons, a double barreled grenade launcher that uses two rockets per shot, and a railgun that uses ten cells by shot and can penetrate enemies. As for the hub/episode question, at least I was planning for it to be more episodic in nature, though we have to see how many maps we will get. 

9 hours ago, therektafire said:

If we do decide to make a hub I guess I would make the hub map since 94 has been doing basically everything else :D

If you want, you can use the small amount of HUB that I managed to make before the 2018 community project took all of my mapping time. It's pretty much just the starting room where doomguys are chilling, need to load the texture folder and the weapons monsters wad to see everything.

48k knight hub.zip

Could somebody help me with ACS?

My map doesn't have typical exit lines. It's just an arena with hellknights, squires, barons and 1 Cyberdemon.

And it's better to kill every enemy on map and finish the level. But I've got a problem. How to do this if hellknights&squires&barons have tid 1, but Cyberdemon have tid 2?

script 12 (void)
{
while ((ThingCount(T_NONE, 1) > 0)&& (ThingCount(T_NONE, 2) > 0) )
delay(35);
    Exit_Normal(0);
}

This doesn't work for me. I'm not sure about "Exit_Normal(0)", to be honest. And I'm not sure about "&&" as "and" function. Or maybe it's just about "T_NONE"?

Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Could somebody help me with ACS?

My map doesn't have typical exit lines. It's just an arena with hellknights, squires, barons and 1 Cyberdemon.

And it's better to kill every enemy on map and finish the level. But I've got a problem. How to do this if hellknights&squires&barons have tid 1, but Cyberdemon have tid 2?

This doesn't work for me. I'm not sure about "Exit_Normal(0)", to be honest. And I'm not sure about "&&" as "and" function. Or maybe it's just about "T_NONE"?

Thanks in advance.

You need to specify the name, I believe. For mine, I had T_CYBER , tag > 0, then once they died the wall blocking the exit lowered. I don’t know about the && thing, it may be a better idea just to use “and”. Try putting a delay(1) command after the exit command as well.

12 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

You need to specify the name, I believe. For mine, I had T_CYBER , tag > 0, then once they died the wall blocking the exit lowered. I don’t know about the && thing, it may be a better idea just to use “and”. Try putting a delay(1) command after the exit command as well.

The main problem is 2 tags. If it had 1 same tag, it will be easier to use. "And" doesn't work, GZDoom gives for me an error

@Major Arlene Thing_Count(T_NONE, 1) counts all things with tag 1, no matter what type it is.

@DeXiaZ How are you calling script 12? Maybe you need to make it an OPEN script instead of a (Void) script, so it will automatically be called when the map opens.

Also, the way you have it coded, if either group of monsters (tag 1 or tag 2) reaches zero monsters, the map will exit. You can fix that by using || for "or" instead of && for "and".

if you want the exit to happen when all monsters of all types and tags are dead, you could use While (Thing_Count (T_NONE, 0)  > 0) Delay(35);

@DeXiaZ

personally i'd say it depends if you want the level to end after everything is dead, or if you want the exit to be available after everything is dead.

Also, with "While (Thing_Count (T_NONE, 0)  > 0) Delay(35);" you got to take into account whether this is called at the beginning of the map or later on, because if there is a point where all placed monsters on the map are dead, but you want more to spawn in later, the player could theoretically end the level early because the script will see that all monsters are dead, even if you want more to spawn at the end.

The reason i bring this up is because i saw a scenario like this in @Major Arlene's map (not saying he used a script like this), but there was a point where I had killed all the monsters and more spawned in later, so just make note of that i guess, easily avoided but could also be a headache.

I'm so freaking blind. Of course I totally forgot about TYPE of the script. I've "OPENed" it. And also used "||" and it worked.

Thank you very much. Still, my map is not finished. But here goes the screenes:

Spoiler

76Ka9Sul.png

PKssBf3l.png

kSUCCFJl.png

I finally got the time to take a peek at what you had started for the hub @94's the best style, while I think it looks fine from what little there is I don't think it really fits the theme of the project, a more hellish map would make more sense I think, your hub looks like the start of a my house wad :D Also where are the doomguys that are supposed to be chilling, I just saw 1 caco

4 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@DeXiaZ

personally i'd say it depends if you want the level to end after everything is dead, or if you want the exit to be available after everything is dead.

Also, with "While (Thing_Count (T_NONE, 0)  > 0) Delay(35);" you got to take into account whether this is called at the beginning of the map or later on, because if there is a point where all placed monsters on the map are dead, but you want more to spawn in later, the player could theoretically end the level early because the script will see that all monsters are dead, even if you want more to spawn at the end.

The reason i bring this up is because i saw a scenario like this in @Major Arlene's map (not saying he used a script like this), but there was a point where I had killed all the monsters and more spawned in later, so just make note of that i guess, easily avoided but could also be a headache.

I'm a she but yea good point

16 hours ago, therektafire said:

I finally got the time to take a peek at what you had started for the hub @94's the best style, while I think it looks fine from what little there is I don't think it really fits the theme of the project, a more hellish map would make more sense I think, your hub looks like the start of a my house wad :D Also where are the doomguys that are supposed to be chilling, I just saw 1 caco

It was actually part of 200 page storyline of how hellknight population grew uncontrollably, and the hell royals took over hell, forcing demons that were able to avoid enslaving and doomguys to team up. By the time the wad happens, they have been pushed back to their last stronghold, an old bunker. And while the army of hellknight grows every day, the resistance's hope dies a bit more. Spider Mastermind creates a time machine that the Doomguys use to travel back in time and wipe out hell knights before they become a problem. In the end they accidentally wipe out Doom 2 from existence and SOSU's Heretic timeline becomes the current one, and Doomguy damns everybody to hell in front of an ancient copy of Heretic 2 in a undead warrior infested world.

3 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

It was actually part of 200 page storyline of how hellknight population grew uncontrollably, and the hell royals took over hell, forcing demons that were able to avoid enslaving and doomguys to team up. By the time the wad happens, they have been pushed back to their last stronghold, an old bunker. And while the army of hellknight grows every day, the resistance's hope dies a bit more. Spider Mastermind creates a time machine that the Doomguys use to travel back in time and wipe out hell knights before they become a problem. In the end they accidentally wipe out Doom 2 from existence and SOSU's Heretic timeline becomes the current one, and Doomguy damns everybody to hell in front of an ancient copy of Heretic 2 in a undead warrior infested world.

If this is the story we're going with, it might be interesting for the 1st level to be a cutscene and the next be the actual hub, which could be a cool time machine hub somewhat like in Crash 3, that way everyone could still make their map's level entrances a little specialized. or something similar.

or we could do something like i saw in a awesome quake mod called Arcane Dimensions, they had a nice hub 

3:12-3:45

9 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

If this is the story we're going with, it might be interesting for the 1st level to be a cutscene and the next be the actual hub, which could be a cool time machine hub somewhat like in Crash 3, that way everyone could still make their map's level entrances a little specialized. or something similar.

or we could do something like i saw in a awesome quake mod called Arcane Dimensions, they had a nice hub 

3:12-3:45

I was also going to suggest an AD-style hub.

Arcane Dimensions is so good. I also think the hub idea has potential. One issue with the project is that there is almost certainly going to be a fair amount of slaughter-y gameplay and, of course, every level will hopefully look drastically different. A hub could encourage a player to check out other maps if they find one unappealing or too hard, rather than stopping after a few tries and just thinking "well that's as far as I want to go." And it saves the organizers from having to craft a linear difficulty curve out of a set of maps that might not be well-suited to that kind of organization.

43 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Arcane Dimensions is so good. I also think the hub idea has potential. One issue with the project is that there is almost certainly going to be a fair amount of slaughter-y gameplay and, of course, every level will hopefully look drastically different. A hub could encourage a player to check out other maps if they find one unappealing or too hard, rather than stopping after a few tries and just thinking "well that's as far as I want to go." And it saves the organizers from having to craft a linear difficulty curve out of a set of maps that might not be well-suited to that kind of organization.

I agree. I found that the Doomworld Mega Project's hub in 2016 was great because:

a.) it gave you a preview of each map and

b.) you could choose which order you wanted to play the maps in. 

So yes, let's definitely do a hub. Would we need to submit our own preview images and preview titlepatches or will the organizers handle it?

If @therektafire is doing the hub map I'd say that's their department. Definitely want to have one or more people on hub duty, though I don't know how much should be done before we have an initial set of submissions.

either way I'd love to help a bit on hub development if need be. Haven't done any before but i'd still like to help and i'm sure id learn along the way.

7 hours ago, Capellan said:

Here's a beta of a map for this project.  Name is "Verdelho".  Theme is "Vines!".  It's for any limit-removing port.  If you don't play it with infinitely tall things, I shall think less of you :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vkiOoHPagRS7zvAkhrFBOqhKAtIoNrx5

For such a rocket launcher heavy map, there's like no health at all.

58 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

For such a rocket launcher heavy map, there's like no health at all.

That's more or less the point of the encounter design :)

ETA: I could add a supercharge to the southern HK balcony.  That'd relieve some pressure but not change the basic paradigm of "make sure you have space".  It just gives you the chance to make a couple more mistakes.

Edited by Capellan