Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

Wasn’t there talk at one point of having a final icon of sin that only spawns HKs? That sounds more feasible than spriting out a new final boss, and it seems like it would be pretty intuitive to players.

12 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Wasn’t there talk at one point of having a final icon of sin that only spawns HKs? That sounds more feasible than spriting out a new final boss, and it seems like it would be pretty intuitive to players.

I like that idea.

Yes, @Spie812 was making the Hell Knight Icon of Sin map and had figured out the code to do it. Part of the map was even made, as I recall from the original thread.

So, if Spie812 would be amenable to finishing the Icon of Sin map and @94's the best style and @therektafire would be OK adding it, we could have a final portal in the hub that opened up only after the rest of the maps are finished, that would lead to the Icon of Sin map.

I was one step ahead and already added a final portal room when I last worked on the hub (which admitably was a longer time ago than I would like to admit), so I would naturally be perfectly ok with it

I'm not really interested enough to work on a map again.

However, here's the like 2 lines of DECORATE for the HK Icon of Sin:

actor HkBossEye : BossEye
{
  DropItem "HellKnight"
}

You just use this instead of the normal spawner.

Wow, this is still going? I'm impressed. Might have to actually finish up my map now.

EDIT: Looks like all my maps got wiped when I moved computers. Guess I'll just have to watch and see how this godawful idea I had 8 months ago turns out when it's done.

Edited by THMG

38 minutes ago, THMG said:

Wow, this is still going? I'm impressed. Might have to actually finish up my map now.

EDIT: Looks like all my maps got wiped when I moved computers. Guess I'll just have to watch and see how this godawful idea I had 8 months ago turns out when it's done.

That's too bad. I would've liked to see your contribution--the screenshots looked pretty good when you posted them in the original thread.

I assume its probably too late to submit my map (initially intended as a secret level) but I've got it to a point where I think its fun but I may be completely wrong - Let me know! My original theme for this map was the game "Minecraft" which has become quite infamous online for many reasons, all of which I agree. My reasoning for using Minecraft as my theme is because I love the idea of two game words colliding and Minecrafts textures and other assets are so easily accessible and transferable its just too good to pass up on, the idea has been floating in my brain for quite some time. I did play Minecraft back when it was first being developed and not been exposed to the audience it has been today and loved it but as far as I'm concerned the games pretty trash ATM. Also theres a point in the map where you drop down into an arena and can no longer backtrack and I was wondering if this breaks the continuous room deal, let me know and I can fix it! And yeah the sky is broken.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x7ywlh28d0ef8si/HellKnightCraft.wad/file

8 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

I assume its probably too late to submit my map (initially intended as a secret level) but I've got it to a point where I think its fun but I may be completely wrong - Let me know! My original theme for this map was the game "Minecraft" which has become quite infamous online for many reasons, all of which I agree. My reasoning for using Minecraft as my theme is because I love the idea of two game words colliding and Minecrafts textures and other assets are so easily accessible and transferable its just too good to pass up on, the idea has been floating in my brain for quite some time. I did play Minecraft back when it was first being developed and not been exposed to the audience it has been today and loved it but as far as I'm concerned the games pretty trash ATM. Also theres a point in the map where you drop down into an arena and can no longer backtrack and I was wondering if this breaks the continuous room deal, let me know and I can fix it! And yeah the sky is broken.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x7ywlh28d0ef8si/HellKnightCraft.wad/file

@94's the best style @therektafire

It's obviously up to the project leads, but I think we can add it. If we had everything done and had released the final beta and were polishing the first RC, it would be a different story. However, since we're still waiting on the hub map (along with the final boss) to be finished, I think there's room to add your map. The next release could contain both the hub and your map, as well as any other updates.

I have an idea for my map: changing the central column that goes through the bridges so that it is much bigger and the bridges tunnel through it. Is it too late for me to start making that change?

2 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Is it too late for me to start making that change?

I think it's not too late.

This project in kinda Development Hell.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

I have an idea for my map: changing the central column that goes through the bridges so that it is much bigger and the bridges tunnel through it. Is it too late for me to start making that change?

That sounds like a great idea to me. I don't think it's too late. I say go for it, provided the change wouldn't take too long to make.

Yes, the hub map could be released tomorrow and we could move to the beta release. At this point, though, without some kind of update to the contrary, the project is just sort of stuck in limbo.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, DeXiaZ said:

I think it's not too late.

This project in kinda Development Hell.

I actively avoid opening Doomworld because I'm afraid... Well not that much, more due to updating pk3s is hard work, and somebody went and started Quaking, and I know this only because I too became a suitor for Shub-niggurath

5 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

I actively avoid opening Doomworld because I'm afraid... Well not that much, more due to updating pk3s is hard work, and somebody went and started Quaking, and I know this only because I too became a suitor for Shub-niggurath

I remember @therektafire telling Scotty (when asked about his level for Nova III) that he was interested in doing some mapping for Quake, but that first he had to finish his Mayhem map and the hub map for this CP. I had been hoping that he would finish the hub map before getting distracted by Quake. Oh well.

18 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Well not that much, more due to updating pk3s is hard work

Do you need a hand managing the pk3? I'd hate to see this project struggle to come to fruition just because of some file management challenges. 

The mapset MUST see the light before barons of hell scratches this to death.

Did we ever choose a name for this?  Because Knightmare Room (or Rooms) popped into my head this morning as I was walking to get the bus to work.

We bounced a few names around, but never settled on anything, although there seemed to be some consensus (at least partial consensus) that Knightmare needed to be in the title.

@94's the best style @therektafire

What is the status of this project?

As of last month, there was word that a hub map was in some advanced stage of near-completion and that a final portal had been added that could open to an area that utilized Spie182's HK IoS. We even had a mapper ask to come back and submit his map, which was was possible months after the deadline because

It seemed as though things might be jump-started and we could move forward, but then the project stalled again. Whether the project stalled because of difficulties in compiling the pk3 or difficulties in completing the hub map (due to Quake or real life or something else) is immaterial. This project needs to be finished and not just stuck in the quagmire of development hell.

May I suggest that if compiling the pk3 is difficult, then, as Dexiaz suggested, let others help with it? @DeXiaZ, @MegaBlast, and @Bauul all seem capable of compiling these packages. Whether they would be willing is a different story, but I would imagine there are others who could help as well.

If finishing the hub map is proving difficult, may I suggest submitting what is already finished and letting others in this CP finish the hub map? It sounds as if the hub map already has a substantial amount of work done, so this community effort would be to bring it over the finish line.

Thoughts?

I agree with Pegleg. As someone that has been silently following this for months, it's kind of sad to see this get stuck in development hell just when it was about to be finished. If the original authors can't finish this for whatever reason, letting other people do it seems to be the most sensible option.

Yes please. This was the project that inspired me to start mapping again so I'd love to see it to the end. I'm afraid I can't contribute much in the way of compiling or completing the other maps, but if there's someone who is willing to step up and help, then @therektafire and @94's the best style should allow that someone to carry the torch. 

Ok so here is what I have had on the hub for a while, I haven't been able to work on it for a while but it is mostly done, all that is really needed to be added are map name popups when you walk into each of the little rooms (where the map entrances are) and a midi. There's also a place in the back of the main room to add a teleport to the final boss map but it isn't there yet. Also it uses some textures from cc4-tex.wad which I haven't put in with the map itself. And it has a Cyberbaron in it (I wanted a 3d model hell knight statue but I couldn't find one :( ) so you will need to load it up with that as well

4800hk_hub.rar

Just now, therektafire said:

@Major Arlene I know that, I already did that, what I mean is I would have preferred to use an MD3 model instead of a sprite (or whatever model type gzdoom lets you use)

gotcha, my bad 

Has anyone decided to pick up the hub map to finish it? If not, then we need someone to do that. I don't know UDMF, so I'm not volunteering, just trying to prod if we're back to just sitting around waiting.

@Bushpig2dope If it were up to me, I would say that you should polish your map so it could be included. In fact, whoever is doing the hub could add a portal for your map. Since we have a hub map, it doesn't really make sense to have a "secret" map, at least in the traditional sense. If you absolutely want as few people finding your map as possible, I suppose whoever is making the hub wants to have the portal to your map hidden, in which case, it would be like a traditional secret map.

If @therektafire or @94's the best style is opposed to any of that, hopefully, one of them responds. Otherwise, I would just proceed as if it were OK.

5 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Has anyone decided to pick up the hub map to finish it?

I could try to do this, then. But get ready to see major changes, lol