Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@Bushpig2dope If it were up to me, I would say that you should polish your map so it could be included. In fact, whoever is doing the hub could add a portal for your map. Since we have a hub map, it doesn't really make sense to have a "secret" map, at least in the traditional sense. If you absolutely want as few people finding your map as possible, I suppose whoever is making the hub wants to have the portal to your map hidden, in which case, it would be like a traditional secret map.

The reason I wanted it as a secret is because its a pretty out there theme compared to the rest. It's up the the hub creator if he wants to add a secret portal or not I suppose. I'll attempt to finish my map in the coming days.
Cheers!

14 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I could try to do this, then. But get ready to see major changes, lol

Major change is better than nothing happening at all IMO. Whoever created the hub now obviously doesn't care about it enough to finish it or doesn't have the time/interest

Edited by Bushpig2dope

1 hour ago, Bushpig2dope said:

The reason I wanted it as a secret is because its a pretty out there theme compared to the rest.

Cyberspace, a zeppelin, a gallows arena that keeps stripping you of your weapons, a level that's almost entirely shadow except for shafts of light? I would say that a Minecraft theme will not be as "out there" as you think it may be and would fit in nicely.

I have to say that @therektafire did a good job with geometry of his HUB map.

But I have to move away the "statue" from the dorm. I'll place it in different place (portal zone). Also I see the armory here. I prefer to keep the "pistol start" concept, BUT I will not delete this room. I'll keep it and "block" it. Player(s) must find the way to unblock the door to get thos tasty weapons.

Couple of the screenshots:

Spoiler

bBm4u3oYLxE.jpg

te1El_67sxU.jpg

And now, the main question. The portals themselves.

I mean, what is the best concept of this HUB?

At first time I thought to make a "Soul Reaver"/Stargate teleport. You have to press button to change the Portal Destination (which is also animated), but my friend said that this kills the feeling of "equivalent" choice and also this will took too much patience of players by pressing this damn button 20 times (for example). I have to agreed with this.

Ok, the second concept was "create a room with portal which represents the destination map design". That's kinda good, but it will took too much place? I mean, 20 rooms? How big they are? They will not be so big (it's just a room with decoratons and Portal-Gate), but possibly that's not a good idea too.

The third concept is "Crash Bandicoot 2" Warp Room style. The circle room with all portals. Kinda unoriginal and "stupid", but possibly the best way?

I need your advice, folks.

Maybe just make one like the DUMP series. Just a bunch of rooms with giant pictures of each stage sprinkled throughout, each with a teleporter in front that takes you there. Coming back to the hub map afterward shuts off access to that teleporter. Once enough teleporters are shut off, a final stage opens.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Hog said:

Maybe just make one like the DUMP series. Just a bunch of rooms with giant pictures of each stage sprinkled throughout, each with a teleporter in front that takes you there. Coming back to the hub map afterward shuts off access to that teleporter. Once enough teleporters are shut off, a final stage opens.

That's the same as Crash Bandicoot concept. Except "shut off" function but of course I was going to add this in any way (no need to go back into finished map).

one of these days i gotta fix my map now that release is more in sight. been busy with other projects, hub looks nice though! my vote would probably be more like crash 3 style with the sub hubs (with nifty design) and teleports that show some of the map (either seperate or by floor plate selection like in 3).

Spoiler

image.png.790570b2fdb79680bcb5bcd085906670.png

Damn, you're genious!

THE BUTTONS ON THE FLOOR. STEP ON IT TO GET THE NEEDED PORTAL (instead of pressing 1 button)

BTW, that's funny but CB3 Warp Room sounds like the mix of all mentioned concepts into 1.

yeah, that's why that one came to mind easily XD

30 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

yeah, that's why that one came to mind easily XD

I thought about CB3 Warp Room too at the first place, but I didn't pay attention about "it uses floor buttons to call the portal". Yeah, silly me.

2 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Also I see the armory here. I prefer to keep the "pistol start" concept, BUT I will not delete this room. I'll keep it and "block" it. Player(s) must find the way to unblock the door to get thos tasty weapons.

The maps were all built around the concept of the pistol start, so it makes sense to keep that. With regard to the armory, perhaps you could open the armory at the same time as you open the portal to the final boss?

By the way, are you also making final boss map/area? We have Spie812's Hell Knight Icon of Sin code available.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

By the way, are you also making final boss map/area? We have Spie812's Hell Knight Icon of Sin code available.

Yeah, I also wanted to create a special final boss map (not that Cyberdemon map), the new code will be very useful. Did Spie812 have posted it in thread earlier?

With regard to the armory, perhaps you could open the armory at the same time as you open the portal to the final boss?

I thought about this idea too, and it seems to be the best idea.

Edited by DeXiaZ

22 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Yeah, I also wanted to create a special final boss map (not that Cyberdemon map), the new code will be very useful. Did Spie812 have posted it in thread earlier?

Spie812 posted the code on July 14 (near the top of page 17):

I'm not really interested enough to work on a map again.

However, here's the like 2 lines of DECORATE for the HK Icon of Sin:

actor HkBossEye : BossEye

{

DropItem "HellKnight"

}

You just use this instead of the normal spawner.

@DeXiaZ damn i'm really liking it so far!

my only comments would be to add a name plate show on screen when you select a map, something like in Stronghold maybe? some of the pictures from the vid are a little hard to see and the name would be a good touch.

Also personally i'd divide it up into a couple portals since it might be odd selecting a switch on the side and not being able to see the portal or accidentally hitting another floor switch trying to enter it. not huge but just a though

You have 18 switches (which means @Bushpig2dope, it looks like you're in, get to polishing). That means you could have 6 switches (3 per side), which would still allow you to see the portal quite well when you hit the switch. Then you would only need 3 portals overall, which wouldn't be that much space.

At one point, there was some talk about the hub containing a graveyard or something with the names of those who had said they would make a map, but then dropped out or just never finished for whatever reason. They're the ones listed as having "fallen to the knights" on the OP. Were you planning to incorporate that somewhere? Or will this hub just start out in a big room that leads to the portals, with an armory and a final portal to the boss?

20 hours ago, Pegleg said:

At one point, there was some talk about the hub containing a graveyard or something with the names of those who had said they would make a map, but then dropped out or just never finished for whatever reason. They're the ones listed as having "fallen to the knights" on the OP. Were you planning to incorporate that somewhere?

Yes, that's a very good idea! My map will not be so "small", it will have big space in design meaning

After much procrastination, I finally got around to fixing and updating my map. Several bugs and issues have been fixed. List below, re-linked

Spoiler

Changes:

• Changed a bunch of lines to make areas a lot less "sticky" (mainly outside walkways, and indoor grates sticking out of walls)
  • Difficulty tweaking, removed some knights, made medium easier and easy much easier
  • Fixed the weird tag creating a red floor on the sky
  • Added a teleporter by the red lift in case of bugs or co-op play.
  • Properly implemented ending script upon red baron death
  • slight texture remodeling

However, i still do not like the current setup of that outside stairwell on the left of the first main gondola as the player needs to crouch to get back down, however i like the idea of outside access, I was thinking of replacing it with an elevator, any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Ok, here goes an update info.

I've created more rooms in HUB map, and also added the outdoor area. With cemetery...

aYdxxqql.png

exOu348l.png

P1G2Sijl.png

odWELrnl.png

PVZCrgml.png

F75n05dl.png

FM9t0d0l.png

MnhYtCvl.png

J1KGj56l.png

YGUgNeAl.png

MWZAUEPl.png

bpNZAbBl.png

Well, phrases on tombstones are based on member's "characteristics". Well, if you have better funny texts for any member, feel free to post here. Just because my english sucks (and also a sense of humor)

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Well, phrases on tombstones are based on member's "characteristics". Well, if you have better funny texts for any member, feel free to post here. Just because my english sucks (and also a sense of humor)

Can you list the phrases on the tombstones here? It's difficult to see the text on some of the tombstones in the screenshots. Overall, it looks good, though. Personally, I would add a fence around the rest of it, with just an opening (maybe 64 units wide) to enter the graveyard, instead of having one whole side be completely open.

Why is 94's the best style in the graveyard? He completed his map. Perhaps it's evident from the text on the headstone that I just can't read.

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I've created more rooms in HUB map

How many rooms are you going to have? I thought you were doing CB3-style warp gates, which would necessitate fewer "rooms." Or are you planning to have other things in the hub beyond the outside, the warp gate rooms, the armory, and the final boss room? I'm interested to see what this HUB looks like at the end of it.

He completed his map

Really? I didn't see this finished in the list. The only one map by him is the "Boss Battle", but as far as we know there are no boss battle maps except mine.

Anyway, he lost interested in this project, so it's like "death".

I see that text is not readable on screens, sorry. Here goes lines:

Naza - Doomed commander of Ironman League {reference to his activity in Ironman League}

Percival232 - R.I.P. {I just don't know what I can write here except "F"}
Bonnie - the First Fox Unit after the Big Boss {double reference to his fox avatar and MGS}

Frades - we will always love you too {related to his very sad post where he also said that love everyone on this forum}

Eris Falling - the legendary lunatic cultist {reference to his Terraria profile}

Daniel Earley - Bioshocked Nerd {well...as he desribes himself?}

Quantum Dranger - He didn't find the exit 10 years ago {reference to his 10 years old map without any exit action. The only map he posted anyway}

SGS Man - Doomed Forever {well...}

Aleks B. - we lost him on moonbase {related to his 48hk "Moonbase" unfinished map}

THMG - swamp took him away {related to his 48hk "Swamp" unfinished map}

Nevander - Fell to Knights too

muumi - he moved too fast {I know that's stupid, I just referenced this to The Flash and the moving train map}

DanielHday - lost in L.A. {joke-reference to his unfinished 48hk "Duke Nukem 3D" map}

94's the best style - The Leader, whose mission lives on

Spie812 - Fastest Mapper in Doomworld {reference to his speedmaping skills}

Sayok6 - Violently killed by army of chaingunners, arch-viles, revenants, mancubi, cyberdemons...at the same time {reference joke to his Plutonia-style map}

therektafire - the Kyle Reese of this project {reference to his try to revive this project}

stripey - No Rest for the Living... {reference to his unfinished 48hk "Maze" map which reminds to me last map from the NRFTL}

How many rooms are you going to have? I thought you were doing CB3-style warp gates, which would necessitate fewer "rooms." Or are you planning to have other things in the hub beyond the outside, the warp gate rooms, the armory, and the final boss room? I'm interested to see what this HUB looks like at the end of it.

I'll answer this later

3 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

NaZa - Doomed commander of Ironman League {reference to his activity in Ironman League}

Hah, good one! I'm sorry I didn't contribute anything to this project, I'm deeply invested in some others at this point. But a nice gag to make the people dropping out look like they've succumbed to the 4800 Hell Knights!

23 hours ago, NaZa said:
23 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

NaZa - Doomed commander of Ironman League {reference to his activity in Ironman League}

Hah, good one! I'm sorry I didn't contribute anything to this project, I'm deeply invested in some others at this point. But a nice gag to make the people dropping out look like they've succumbed to the 4800 Hell Knights!

It was actually 94's idea several months ago (when he was more actively involved) to have therekta make a little cemetery with headstones for those people that dropped out. It's just a larger graveyard now.

Actually @DeXiaZ@Alfonzo might have a problem with Naza being called the "commander" of the Ironman League--although Naza does actually keep an updated ranking ...

Speaking of 94's the best style, he did complete a map. I don't know why the map lists him as "boss battle" but he finished the infinity map (I think it's Map 08).

With regard to bonnie's epitaph, "friend" needs to be incorporated into it (since she's fond of referring to the people she's talking to as "friend" or "best friend").

The others--we may want to look at what they said in this thread before withdrawing or not finishing.

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

might have a problem with Naza being called the "commander" of the Ironman League--although Naza does actually keep an updated ranking ...

Heh, not big problem to "delete" this word.

Speaking of 94's the best style, he did complete a map. I don't know why the map lists him as "boss battle" but he finished the infinity map (I think it's Map 08).

Well, I can delete the whole tombstone, but does "94's" is "alive" for this project? I think he fell.

With regard to bonnie's epitaph, "friend" needs to be incorporated into it (since she's fond of referring to the people she's talking to as "friend" or "best friend").

Ok, I've got it, but I don't have in mind a good phrase with "friend" word, lol. I need to think about it.

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

The others--we may want to look at what they said in this thread before withdrawing or not finishing.

Good point, but I know that someone is offline since 2017...

I need a little help, folks. The first version of the HUB map contains some living rooms, I've saved them (but reduced from 18 to 16), and they seems too empty.

I think it would be good to add some posters or similar stuff to make them more realistic (it's not a prison, marines lives here, lol). Like this:

eE29Xcel.jpg

Well, the first question is...Do you like this idea at all?

And the second question - could you send me a pack of posters (size does't matter) to make rooms better?

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

I need a little help, folks. The first version of the HUB map contains some living rooms, I've saved them (but reduced from 18 to 16), and they seems too empty.

I think it would be good to add some posters or similar stuff to make them more realistic (it's not a prison, marines lives here, lol). Like this:

eE29Xcel.jpg

Well, the first question is...Do you like this idea at all?

And the second question - could you send me a pack of posters (size does't matter) to make rooms better?

You could have all the contributors create their own rooms, kinda like a nice mirror to the graveyard of the lost, the living hall of the warriors

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

You could have all the contributors create their own rooms, kinda like a nice mirror to the graveyard of the lost, the living hall of the warriors

Thats a cool idea

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Actually that lines up pretty well with my original idea for the rooms, which is that they would be the entrances to each person's map, so I guess having each person make their own personalized room wouldn't be such a bad idea.

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Ok, to make your own room you need to download this template:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0fegnnbev22bddd/RoomTemplate.wad/file

UDMF format, don't forget to use CC4.wad for wall/floor textures. In logical reasons you can't change the size of the room, but you can add anything inside. Pack your custom room with your textures into pk3 file and send to me, I'll add it into original map. if you want to claim the specific room, just write it's number. Numbers template are here:

wadPKBkl.jpg

P.S.: I've changed the light, so it's not so yellow as showed on screen.