Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

4 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Clearly the only way to fix this is to have a map with 48 000 hks.

She's not officially associated with this megawad, but @Nine Inch Heels would certainly have something to say related to that, I think given some of her proclivities and her post on the original thread from Dec. 20 (where she talked about having tens of thousands of enemies):

Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for.

44 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

We can have a map with 4800 HKs as the final map of the wad

To borrow from "Jaws" ... We're gonna need a bigger room.

I love making slaughtermaps but i can't make another map for the project because "1 map per person"

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

She's not officially associated with this megawad, but @Nine Inch Heels would certainly have something to say related to that, I think given some of her proclivities and her post on the original thread from Dec. 20 (where she talked about having tens of thousands of enemies):

Some things keep me from contributing a map to this project at the moment, so I guess for the time being you guys are safe from the terrors of me making a bitchy slaughtermap:

I am still busy with the clerical work for the recycled project

The rules for this here set are a touch too murky for me.

Making a map based on mostly HKs might be an interesting challenge, but the same time the monster in and of itself isn't particularly interesting to me personally, if it is supposed to be used as the main "actor" in a map.

The pk3 format makes it such that the targetted sourceport (in this case GZDoom) will cause framerate issues for some folks when it is down to all out macro slaughter, and I am not particularly interested in yet another instance where somebody says that my map shouldn't come with a "difficulty warning", but instead with a "performance warning", my jom05 contribution which features only 3000 dudes and then some already caused issues for some people. I could/would make a challenge map based around hell knights and barons, provided I find the time to do so, but then again a challenge map that would have to be based on setpieces breaks the "continuous area rule", so that's outta the question as well.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:32 PM, therektafire said:

Another progress update on my map, I started mapping the inside of the main base area, I'm trying to go for a more non linear style compared to my other maps but I have a pretty linear mindset when it comes to mapping so it is pretty slow going :/

edit: gave better picture of nukage area since I hit 5mb upload limit on accident and wasnt able to upload all the pictures i took lol

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182700.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182735.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182756.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182508.png

Dude Thats Looking Fuckin Great!

I don't know that this panned out quite the way I wanted it to, but nevertheless, the map's pretty much done. Here's a screenshot indicative of what to expect:

Screenshot_Doom_20180214_011259.png.f3c3361e08119afc862a4e99b65a2376.png

Spoiler

Nah, just kidding. (Sort of.) Here's more-indicative images:

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_013902.png.22bcf90cba88d1591e58cb7ca026de28.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180222_013920.png.968f64ab8bedf61c89fdd35aefdfc1df.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180222_013945.png.c8d6f74b3240bb2c015a16d59daa2657.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180222_014311.png.d4d1ef120a5a6a412273884b8c548d2e.png

And a spoiler for one of the stage's secrets:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_014152.png.4b4644bddda62c743aac7d5c571e0789.png

Here's the download. I know the OP asked for a .WAD file, but considering you're going to be compiling everything into a .PK3 file anyway, I decided to just keep my submission in .PK3 format to begin with - so you only need to copy/paste things into the final compilation, more or less.

Guys, could someone help me? Finally I've got a exclusive soundtrack for my map, and now I'm finishing this map fixing few things I've got on feedback from my beta-testers. My problem is...the airstrike attack.

My friends suggested that so big cyberdemon can use some kind of the airstrike attack. I don't see this as bad idea, so I've tried to create this. But my code does not work properly. Could someone help me with this, please? Please PM me or post here. Thanks in advance.

Nevermind, I've fixed it. I believe I'll post my map before the deadline...not so much time I have, though. But it finished on 98-99%

Edited by DeXiaZ

@94's the best style @therektafire

Sorry to even bring this up:

How crucial is the map deadline of Mar. 1st? I had a bunch of family matters that came up this weekend and have had no time to work on my map at all, its almost done but is it possible to submit it a little bit passed the deadline, like say by this coming weekend?

my map is like 90% complete and id really like to contribute it rather than drop it.

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Sorry to even bring this up:

How crucial is the map deadline of Mar. 1st? I had a bunch of family matters that came up this weekend and have had no time to work on my map at all, its almost done but is it possible to submit it a little bit passed the deadline, like say by this coming weekend?

my map is like 90% complete and id really like to contribute it rather than drop it.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I have been steadily working on my map, but life intrudes (as it has wont to do) and I haven't been able to spend as much time as necessary lately to have the map perfect by the deadline. A little extra time would allow for polishing the map and play testing it before submitting it.

If March 1 is a hard deadline and you will not budge, I will submit what I have (which will be playable and have an exit) with the intention of polishing it over the following weeks (because I like the idea of this CP and I don't want to just drop the map or submit it as a standalone project).

Here she is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3k1tnukp3jskth/initiation v9 distro.wad?dl=1

(previous versions)

initiation2.jpg.7b41c651f0a64a4b3e2efb6f7007bd2c.jpg

initiation1.jpg.4f4308fe1c1a69447d7a413416fe0e98.jpg

Name: Doomguy's Initiation
Theme: Masonic Temple
Format: UDMF, tested with GZDoom 3.2.5
Jump/Crouch/Freelook: all ok, none necessary
Music: 1) Overture from The Magic Flute / Mozart (Sequenced by Jürgen Kraus, edited
for looping by me); 2) Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D Major, 2nd movement / Bach (Sequenced by D.
Hatlelid, edited for looping by me)
Textures: Joy of Mapping 5, episode 4; Undying; sky from Joy of Mapping 4, episode 2; me
Hell Knights: 150
Megasphere: 1

Thanks to Major Arlene for some initial inspiration; SOSU, 94's the best style, and 42PercentHealth for testing

Edited by Big Ol Billy : puttin in work

Man I am going to annoy quite a few people probably lol. I am just now starting on the hub map today and am not even all the way done with my own map yet :/ My desire to make a map for the vinesauce mapping contest kind of took precedence over this project at the last minute despite me saying that I would only focus on this one this month... but of course now that thats over I don't have to worry about it and I don't have anything else I am working on particularly (neither would I have the time to even if I did) so now I will 100% be working on 4800hk stuff whenever I can

Just thought I would let people know what is going on with that since the deadline was technically supposed to be today but that obviously isn't going to particularly work :D

2 hours ago, therektafire said:

My desire to make a map for the vinesauce mapping contest kind of took precedence over this project...

Same  XD

On 5.3.2018 at 12:18 AM, DanielAlexander said:

I would love to make another map for this project, but i know i can't :(

Can't as in time/life or can't as in you've used up you map slot? Asking because your map has just too many monsters for my gzdoom to handle, so if you make a map that's less brutal, I'll be glad to have that included instead. I want to be able to play trough all of the projects maps (on Hurt me plenty or even less) to get the feeling for them.

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

your map has just too many monsters for my gzdoom to handle

I played my map with gzdoom and it doesnt lag for me

It took longer than i wanted and i'm still adding some quality of life touches, it is tested and works in a 98% completed state.

DFF_Baron Zepplin

Screenshot_Doom_20180310_172540.png.d1a5038f723619d4802c2f3044e8616a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180310_172607.png.6e8a0e4b8f8515a19649d4977aa0c06f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180310_172601.png.8a4c2f02a768174a2fd8d1e4f12a800e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180310_172547.png.5b35989fa64b7fc63044262dfbb02e1e.png

My map is done, but some things to note:

I added another realm667 monster as the final boss (ProfaneOne), and i made a special boss variant that calls on a script to end the level. it would be cool

if this was included, but if its too much hassle i can change it.

Additionally i'd really like the monster itself to not call an acs script on its death for cleanliness reasons, but i'm having trouble getting my script to run normally just when Thingcount "profaneOne" >= 0, not sure if there is a better way to do it but any help would be appreciated.

I have also tried to bundle every 3d floor imaginable that i could have, however there are still quite a few due to the nature of my map, I apologize in advance if it is laggy and slow but the map runs perfectly fine for me so its hard to try and pinpoint ways to clean it up without jeopardizing map layout and design.

Any feedback would be great.

Any update on a new deadline for this project?

I realize I haven't submitted my map yet, which is why I don't want to come across as throwing stones, but there are more than a few unfinished maps for this project, so I'd be interested to know what the new deadline will be.

15 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Any update on a new deadline for this project?

I realize I haven't submitted my map yet, which is why I don't want to come across as throwing stones, but there are more than a few unfinished maps for this project, so I'd be interested to know what the new deadline will be.

Once @therektafire gets the hub map done. If you want an actual date, before April, seriously, I will be busy then, so I would really like to have the hard stuff out of the way by then, and therektafire needs to probably know how many maps we will get as well.

Just happened to glance at the inspiration text again (the original rant immortalized in the Doom comic edit on page 1), and I suddenly wondered: is anyone making a custom HUD? Because it seems like we really need one to fulfill the spirit of the project! I can try taking it on, but won't really have any time until the very end of the month.

Some progress pictures of the hub map, I am going with @94's the best style's bunker idea for the actual hub but first you start out in a foresty area that has been overrun and destroyed by the HKs :)

Screenshot_Doom_20180319_185737.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180319_185755.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180319_191542.png

Edited by therektafire : updated 3rd picture

@therektafire Do you need people to make Hub entrances for maps that are stylized, or are you going to just take charge of that?

So I was thinking... I wanted to spice up the pre hub area a bit and I was wondering how you guys would feel about having a little action sequence where the player gets ambushed by lots of hell knights and you don't have enough ammo to kill all of them so you have to dodge them and run through the forest to the bunker? Nothing particularly difficult of course, just a little appetizer to get people's blood pumping and excited for the main course ;) I was reading over the thread earlier and @DerFurer'sFace mentioned something similar (although he said a cutscene specifically, though I kind of suck at making cutscenes still so of course I like my version better lol)

Oh and I will make the entrances for the maps, not sure if stylization for each map is really necessary, I was just going to make each entrance look the same like in for example DWMP2017 (though of course there would be a screenshot/overview of each map that would of course be different for every one)

I don't like that idea. Players will try to kill all of the hell knights and they will get angry when it turns out that there is not enough ammo. Many will rage quit and the rest of the maps will rarely get played. As you can tell by the abundance of ammo in my map, I as a player do not think that it is fun to run out of ammo.

24 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Interesting idea, I think the devil (heh) is in the details. I'm a little nervous about starting things out with something that players will see as an unfair, unwinnable fight, so it would be important to figure out some way to convey to the player that they are supposed to run and make it clear where they should go. For example, taking away all player weapons and having the HKs appear in such a way that the player basically has to run into the hub area. Otherwise, rage quitting is just too likely.

Ninja edit: Another option might be to include a bunch of HKs as decoration, either deactivated "statues" or putting them in some pen where there's no real way for the player to interact with them. Following @Empyre, I think it's important to consider that Doom (both the game itself and community culture) tends to cultivate a "must kill all monsters" mindset, and it's going to be difficult to break that—especially at the very moment that players load up a mapset and are still in the "how much time do I really want to put into this?" mindset.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

@Empyre @Big Ol BillyI guess you're right, I wanted to do something that I felt was a little more original and interesting than other CPs plus I feel like it would fit the story that @94's the best style laid out but realistically it would probably just annoy people :( So I guess I more than likely won't do that

edit

Ninja edit: Another option might be to include a bunch of HKs as decoration, either deactivated "statues" or putting them in some pen where there's no real way for the player to interact with them. Following @Empyre, I think it's important to consider that Doom (both the game itself and community culture) tends to cultivate a "must kill all monsters" mindset, and it's going to be difficult to break that—especially at the very moment that players load up a mapset and are still in the "how much time do I really want to put into this?" mindset.

Edited 6 minutes ago by Big Ol Billy

I'm not sure how clear it is but in the 3rd screenshot that I posted of my progress on the map there is a portal with lots of them nearby, so I already had that idea and did that :D 

Edited by therektafire