Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

@MegaBlastno no i love the criticism, I never had issues with the railing but after watching i'll make those lines very clear, and maybe tune down the difficulty for UV, maps are generally easier when you know where everything is and what they do XD

as for that red floor, i have no idea, the 0 sectors must have copied one of the plane 3d floors, i have no clue why or how to fix that one. That and the ending, if anyone knows how to program a simple monster kill level end would be appreciated, it probably broke because i didn't know how and just gave an ACS call for the end level in the profane one's death script.

but yeah i appreciate any and all feedback.

@MegaBlast It was really entertaining watching you play Harkonnen! You played an old version btw, the link to the new one is on page 1 of the thread. Hopefully it has a little extra "umph" from the old version, as well as more sensical progression.

@therektafireIsn't supposed to send the map exits to the hub? or not? Because the way that MAPINFO is showing it's...weird

Edit: forgot that this is an alpha version...sorry :p

And also, it gives an error in Zandro related to MAPINFO, first line :D

Edited by leodoom85

@DerFurer'sFace Still had the map on-hand so I took a peek while waiting on dinner. Attached a pic of the offending linedef applying a 3d floor to tag 0. 

For the level end it looks like you already wrote a script, now you just need attach that to your boss. Go into the boss's properties window and add action 80 then pass in script 14, that'll run your exit script exactly one time when the boss dies. Attached a pic of that too for ultimate clarity.

@Major Arlene Glad you enjoyed, at some point I'll play through the new version of your map. Most likely will get around to the revision on my own time when not streaming since I have other suggestions to get through but hop efully can get some feedback to you.

image.png

image.png

@MegaBlast hmm, and that activates upon death? didn't know about that, thanks ill look at it.

that line must have changed at some point, not sure why its there, thanks for finding it.

Yep! Script Execute when applied to monsters triggers on death. Very useful for these types of situations.

No problem on finding the linedef, still had the map on my desktop and was a little bit curious what caused it myself.

(I have no idea how y'all are doing those name highlights.)

Watching MegaBlast's first stream made me suddenly realize the smaller spotlights in my map were completely non-functional. I'm somewhat impressed you were still able to navigate that mess with half the lights that were supposed to navigate you not being present!

It turns out that the name of my decoration, "Spotlight", is now reserved for an actual built-in GZDoom object, when that hadn't been the case when I made the map. Whoops. Well, better we find that out now than later, so I can more readily fix it! Basically, whoever it is that's in charge of compilation at this point is gonna need to change the end of the DECORATE file from

Spoiler

////////////LIGHTOUT Decorate START
actor Spotlight : SwitchableDecoration 10242
{
	//$sprite SPOTA0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight"
	Height 1
	Radius 64
	+NOGRAVITY
	+SPAWNCEILING
	+FORCEYBILLBOARD 
	//RenderStyle "Add"
	RenderStyle "Translucent"
	Activation THINGSPEC_Activate
	Alpha 0.25
	Scale 0.5
	States
	{
		Spawn:
		Inactive:
			TNT1 A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, x, y, ceilingZ, angle, WARPF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION)
			Loop
		Active:
			SPOT A 0 Bright A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, x, y, ceilingZ, angle, WARPF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION)
			SPOT A 1 Bright A_SetScale(1.0, ceilingZ-floorZ)
			Loop
	}
}

actor SpotlightBase : SwitchableDecoration 10243
{
	//$sprite SPOTB0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight Base"
	Height 1
	Radius 64
	+FLATSPRITE
	//RenderStyle "Add"
	Alpha 0.75
	States
	{
		Spawn:
		Inactive:
			TNT1 A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_MASTER, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, angle, WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_TOFLOOR)
			Loop
		Active:
			SPOT B 1 Bright A_Warp(AAPTR_MASTER, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, angle, WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_TOFLOOR)
			Loop
	}
}

actor SpotlightHalfSize : Spotlight 10244
{
	//$sprite SPOTA0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight (Half-Size)"
	Height 1
	Radius 32
	Scale 0.5
	States
	{
		Active:
			SPOT A 0 Bright A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, x, y, ceilingZ, angle, WARPF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION)
			SPOT A 1 Bright A_SetScale(0.5, ceilingZ-floorZ)
			Loop
	}
}

actor SpotlightBaseHalfSize : SpotlightBase 10245
{
	//$sprite SPOTB0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight Base (Half-Size)"
	Radius 32
	Scale 0.5
}
//////////////////////////LightOut Decorate END

to

Spoiler

////////////LIGHTOUT Decorate START
actor LightsOutSpotlight : SwitchableDecoration 10242
{
	//$sprite SPOTA0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight"
	Height 1
	Radius 64
	+NOGRAVITY
	+SPAWNCEILING
	+FORCEYBILLBOARD
	//RenderStyle "Add"
	Alpha 0.25
	Scale 0.5
	States
	{
		Spawn:
		Inactive:
			TNT1 A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, x, y, ceilingZ, angle, WARPF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION)
			Loop
		Active:
			SPOT A 1 Bright A_SetScale(1.0, ceilingZ-floorZ)
			Loop
	}
}

actor LightsOutSpotlightBase : SwitchableDecoration 10243
{
	//$sprite SPOTB0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight Base"
	Height 1
	Radius 64
	+FLATSPRITE
	//RenderStyle "Add"
	Alpha 0.75
	States
	{
		Spawn:
		Inactive:
			TNT1 A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_MASTER, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, angle, WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_TOFLOOR)
			Loop
		Active:
			SPOT B 1 Bright A_Warp(AAPTR_MASTER, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, angle, WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_TOFLOOR)
			Loop
	}
}

actor LightsOutSpotlightHalfSize : LightsOutSpotlight 10244
{
	//$sprite SPOTA0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight (Half-Size)"
	Height 1
	Radius 32
	Scale 0.5
	States
	{
		Active:
			SPOT A 1 Bright A_SetScale(0.5, ceilingZ-floorZ)
			Loop
	}
}

actor LightsOutSpotlightBaseHalfSize : LightsOutSpotlightBase 10245
{
	//$sprite SPOTB0
	//$Category Lights Out
	//$Title "Spotlight Base (Half-Size)"
	Radius 32
	Scale 0.5
}
//////////////////////////LightOut Decorate END

I've also updated the PK3 on my Dropbox, if you'd rather copy it from that. Same URL as before, but here it is again anyway.

I updated my submission, gone is the irritating constant buzzing sound at the beginning and end, and i modified the layout a bit to make it a bit more open so that people don't get stuck on the first waves, plus some small changes

prison2.7z

12 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Is this map based on the Painkiller boss fight with the massive zombie in the graveyard? Even the little gazebos with the weapons look the same

Yes, my map is based on the Painkiller's boss fight. Even more, this giant Cyberdemon uses Alastor's sounds (from another boss fight, on the Tower of Babel)

19 hours ago, Pegleg said:

2. One of the viewers commented, "The creators of these maps are insane."

We're doing something right, folks.

Really appreciated Mega's committed playthrough of my map ("Doomguy's intiation"). In retrospect I think @94's the best style 's feedback was right, it feels too exhausting. I think I'm gonna try to scale the length back. I also want to play with letting the player activate successive waves. I like the idea of scripted fights but here at least I think it just adds to the slogginess because killing monsters feels like busywork that you have to do until the game decides to give you the next sequence. I do like the look and the overall "combat puzzle" angle, so hopefully I can help those to shine a little more. Glad someone finally found the secret minigame as well ;)

Could someone go through the maps and take some good screenshots that I can use for the hub map? I don't have the time to do it myself sadly and I have put off finishing it for a pretty long time obviously :( So I would definitely like to have it done soon and it is almost done but I still need pictures for each map for the entries to them

8 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Does update are still allowed for maps?

It's still an alpha, so i guess updates are okay

2 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Does update are still allowed for maps?

Several of us have been made statements about needing to fix this or that, and the project leads haven't said anything about not doing it. So, I would think it's OK.

Besides, isn't the point of an alpha or beta release to have fresh players go through the levels and comment on problems so they could be fixed prior to final release?

In his stream, MegaBlast said that there was way too much ammo in my map, so I halved the ammo in single-player. Unless something unforeseen happens, this should be the final version.

hktower4.zip

14 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Yes, my map is based on the Painkiller's boss fight. Even more, this giant Cyberdemon uses Alastor's sounds (from another boss fight, on the Tower of Babel)

Nice. I love Painkiller. Underrated game IMO with some very cool set piece boss fights.

12 hours ago, Empyre said:

In his stream, MegaBlast said that there was way too much ammo in my map, so I halved the ammo in single-player. Unless something unforeseen happens, this should be the final version.

hktower4.zip

I beat your level. I played the last version of it.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, Big Ol Billy said:

When we have our alpha/beta/whatever out, I have comments on all the maps I'm going to type up. Holding on while the leaders compile everything.

Since several of us are in the process of revising our levels, would you be willing to write out the comments you had on the different maps? After all, we're now on alpha 3.

Also, @94's the best style are we planning on including the custom HUD as part of the pk3?

11 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Since several of us are in the process of revising our levels, would you be willing to write out the comments you had on the different maps? After all, we're now on alpha 3.

Also, @94's the best style are we planning on including the custom HUD as part of the pk3?

It's kinda a part of the comment that started this whole thing, I don't think that we have a choice,

15 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Ooh thanks for reminding me. I have those notes on another computer but I’ll send them along tonight or tomorrow. Also have some tweaks for the status bar I want to get to if people are still interested in using it.

Ok, here's part I of my feedback. I'm mostly replaying the maps since a number of things have changed since my first playthroughs.

@DanielAlexander

• Love that opening spawn, tells you exactly what you're getting yourself into. This is a great opener, definitely should be one of the most readily accessible in the hub.
  • Ammo and weapons are appropriately generous, so the whole level is threatening but actually pretty easy. 
  • This sky is better than the previous one iirc, but still looks awfully pixelated. Feel like there are better dark blue skies out there, unless you like the lo-fi charms of this one.
  • Really want the RSK to open the big door, going straight to exit feels anticlimactic

@Major Arlene

• Very in the spirit of the project. I think the additions you made in the newest version go a long way to make the fights more engaging. I think the opening teleporting hitscanners encounter is my favorite part, though I actually skipped it in my first playthrough b/c I hopped over the SSG coming out of the water.
  • The custom weapons that you have to pick up to activate the progression switches are a little hard to see, especially the rail gun. You could smooth the progression signaling a little if you wanted to—either have the switches raised from the start or maybe have point lights that highlight the weapon and switch off after it's picked up.
  • "Don't forget your backpack!" can still be confusing if the player initially backs up to look at the room, accidentally picking up the backpack. It's also a bit odd to see if the player picks up the backpack before triggering the message (this happened on Mega's stream, for example). Not a big deal, but small things like this can make the player less confident in the mapper.

@riderr3

• I think this is my favorite map of the set. I really liked how you used verticality to create progression in the open space. Saving the HKs until the end is a great little prank.
  • The layout is admittedly kind of confusing and sometimes frustrating to navigate because of all that Doom parkour progression. Not a big deal to me, but maybe something to look at. I'd say watch Mega's stream and see if anything pops out that could be made clearer.

UAC_Janitor

• Cleverly laid out and fun, this is another one that nails the vibe of the project to me.
  • Framerate struggles a bit on my comp. Reflective floors should be the first to go, imho. Also colored lighting doesn't strike me as in the spirit of KDitD (admittedly neither do the 3D floors, but I think they're used well and have a clear gameplay purpose).
  • Seems like the raised floor in the middle with all the bullet ammo could be more rewarding. With all those high tiers bullets aren't that valuable, and the area is pretty dangerous once things get going. I think there's more of an opportunity for offering the player a risk/reward scenario. 

@Capellan

• Really like the opening section, keeps you on your toes while you're hunting for ammo and dodging snotballs
  • Megasphere as the only health is cool, but wears a little thin after you leave the opening section and go outside for the PEs and Cacos. Too easy to save yourself into a lame situation. Berserk could be cool.
  • Ammo feels a little too scarce for the final section, I had to sneak around everything and hit the exit switch.

@94's the best style

• This is a pretty frustrating one, though it does change things up by being more of a Ribbiks-style slaughter puzzle (reminds me a little bit of an early noble-themed map in Frogs).
  • Not totally your fault, but this map made me hate the railgun with a burning passion. It often takes 4 rails (which means 1 reload) to kill one HK, which makes the RG feel less powerful and useful than the SSG. Just feels wrong, especially when you're desperately trying to stop a couple of HKs closing in on you.
  • The hierophants at the end feel excessive. I flipped the switch with ~40% health, medikits still available, and was never able to kill even a single hierophant in about 40 tries (most of which were "your legs weaken"-->insta-kill).

@Rolpa

• I dig it, the distinct monster/weapon waves give the map a cool flavor
  • The "you murdered grandma" angle seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't really make any sense in the context of the map or the project as a whole. I guess that's the joke, but I would rather tell the player that they've been convicted of hunting hellknights out of season, cruelty to demonkind, something like that.

@Worm318

• Really solid addition to the set imho, looks and plays great. The 3D floors really work here and compliment the space.
  • Is the HK counter necessary? Seems like it sets up the expectation that something is gonna happen when you kill them all.
  • OMG I wanted that SSG so bad but couldn't figure out the secret.

@Shadow Hog

• Definitely going to be one of the most memorable maps. The visuals are great even if the space is a little confusing to navigate (portals?).
  • Throw a space marine a bone and give some indication of where the switches are on the automap. You can't really use the map extensively anyway until you've thinned out the horde, so I think it would just speed up the hunt for the final switches.
  • Another map where I really struggled to get the SSG and really wanted it!
  • Strangely, I couldn't figure out how to get the megasphere.
  • Feels light on ammo, doesn't seem like it's practical to kill all the HKs.
  • Music choice is strange, not sure how I feel about it. Something brooding and ominous would have been the more obvious choice. The circus-y tune here adds some quirkiness and energy, but it's also...odd.

@Big Ol Billy  Lower difficulty settings have higher health and slightly fewer monsters :)

@94's the best style I did notice that two of my HKs were flagged multiplayer only though, so there were only 148 in the map on single player.  There is a new version of the wad (same link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vkiOoHPagRS7zvAkhrFBOqhKAtIoNrx5) which fixes that issue.  I added a box of rockets (two boxes on HMP/HNTR) to compensate.

2 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@Worm318

• Really solid addition to the set imho, looks and plays great. The 3D floors really work here and compliment the space.
  • Is the HK counter necessary? Seems like it sets up the expectation that something is gonna happen when you kill them all.
  • OMG I wanted that SSG so bad but couldn't figure out the secret.

Thanks for the feedback. The HK counter was something that I implemented playing around in the beggining, but I forgot to remove it :P

About SSG:

Spoiler

The SSG is accessible from the other secret, but I don't know, I thought if people found the other secret after seeing the SSG it was gonna be sort of obvious how to get it, but it's kinda silly because the access to that secret is in the other side of the map, so in the end SSG is mostly for the final clean-up. Not sure if this is a big design flaw or something

New update of my map, not much added here, but still.

Notes:
- Placed more platforms leading to the blue key.
- Altered the properties of the 3 baron bosses (by adding a script). 
- Changed the Z height of the 2 secret barons so that they can bounce.

Also, please remove those custom hell knights from my map. Map was balanced around traditional hell knights and barons, these custom enemies breaks pace and ruins some encounters by making them very easy. Thank you. 

cyberspace of hell knight realm_v1.3.zip

tagging @therektafire , so he can notice this update and include into compilation.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

3 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@Major Arlene

• Very in the spirit of the project. I think the additions you made in the newest version go a long way to make the fights more engaging. I think the opening teleporting hitscanners encounter is my favorite part, though I actually skipped it in my first playthrough b/c I hopped over the SSG coming out of the water.
  • The custom weapons that you have to pick up to activate the progression switches are a little hard to see, especially the rail gun. You could smooth the progression signaling a little if you wanted to—either have the switches raised from the start or maybe have point lights that highlight the weapon and switch off after it's picked up.
  • "Don't forget your backpack!" can still be confusing if the player initially backs up to look at the room, accidentally picking up the backpack. It's also a bit odd to see if the player picks up the backpack before triggering the message (this happened on Mega's stream, for example). Not a big deal, but small things like this can make the player less confident in the mapper.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed those fights, esp. the hitscanner fight, because that was a doozy to script >.<

2. If I have time before we release this thing (should we ever) I may go ahead and fix that, maybe add chandeliers like I had in the first sections of the map and use that to help light it. I didn't realize how dark that sector color setter could end up showing up. 

3. I think I ended up adding that message because I saw so many people miss it and felt sort of forced to add a reminder. Although, as much as you have to use all of the space of the map, it's very possible to pick up all that ammunition w/o needing a backpack. That aside, if there is a type of "if" statement I could add to that script, I will do so.

As a guy who is too lazy to read this whole thread, I beg your pardon in advance.... Is there any estimate for when the final version of this WAD will be released? I'm interested in playing through the whole thing on Twitch.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@Rolpa

• I dig it, the distinct monster/weapon waves give the map a cool flavor
  • The "you murdered grandma" angle seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't really make any sense in the context of the map or the project as a whole. I guess that's the joke, but I would rather tell the player that they've been convicted of hunting hellknights out of season, cruelty to demonkind, something like that.

Glad you enjoyed it! The whole 'you murdered Grandma' thing is a joke - your 'crime' actually changes depending on the difficulty level being played. :)

If we use any of the custom monsters/weapons, do we have to actually merge the wad into ours, or is that taken care of when they are merged into the megawad?

Edited by Rolpa : Hurrdurr can't english

Small update to my map:

Spoiler
  • Removed HK counter
  • Secret #1 is not accessible by accident anymore
  • Small changes in the secret area
  • Other small details

Link is the same
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rd6gYSbDiEtc-BKcQzZ2sOWaAtbsqh4C

In the compilation the sky uses the doom2.wad sky3 texture instead of the cc4-tex one included in this file, not sure what to do about it (should I rename the texture or something?)