Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

58 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Progress on the secret map

That looks interesting. I don't know what to make of the giant pile of snakes/brains (not sure what that is meant to be), but with the organic and the nukage and the tekwall and the cyber-realm textures, the secret level has the look of a fish-mash of many of the themes. I'm interested to see what it's like at the end of the day.

@Bushpig2dope

It looks like your Minecraft level will be part of the regular progression (as in not hidden).

Secret level complete!

Screenshot_Doom_20180930_234652.png.636613f45eb4da2daacf9923896d9b23.png

Now it uses a fair amount of custom assets, so making a wad might take a moment.

Edit: Wad is ready for anyone to test. It's map map666.

There's also the stripped version of the map that's easier to add to the project, which only has what's new to my map, as well as a new decorate with everything up to now, which should include: Railgun buff, Zombie94(that drops railgun) RegalEye and

GodBrain

MAP666.zip

MAP666 stripped.zip

Edited by 94's the best style

Is there a latest build somewhere? I should've brought this up sooner, but the image for my map's portal looks like it's using an older version where the spotlights are broken as of GZDoom introducing Spotlight actors of its own, and I wanna be sure it's not out-of-date.

Besides that, I made a radar to point out where the switches are, but it's not portal-aware, and apparently making a portal-aware one would involve making it in ZScript, and I haven't got a god damn clue where to even begin with that.

Well, that's right, but my build still not uses updated maps from pages 20-22. Yeah, too many things to do...

So i was working on some spawning traps for my 2nd map, and i realized that the squires replace the hellknight's thing ID. not a huge issue since there are workaround but i was just wondering if there was a reason for this? or was it just in the code of the squire originally?

44 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

So i was working on some spawning traps for my 2nd map, and i realized that the squires replace the hellknight's thing ID. not a huge issue since there are workaround but i was just wondering if there was a reason for this? or was it just in the code of the squire originally?

You mean spawn id right? Thing ID doesn't correspond to any actor in particular. Hell Knight's should be 113, and Squire's 9403

@94's the best style yes my fault I meant spawn ID. The hellknight’s id happens to also be 113.

also sadly I cannot Post the code for my map right now as I’m away from my computer, but when spawning via “hellknight” for some reason it’s spawning sergeants instead.

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

Well, anyway, I sort of doubt I'm gonna somehow figure out how to render a new status bar in ZScript in a way that doesn't break mod compatibility for something that's only used in a single map, so here's my latest revision of my map with an ACS status bar instead. It jumps when you cross portals, but it's still handy to have.

10 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@94's the best style yes my fault I meant spawn ID. The hellknight’s id happens to also be 113.

also sadly I cannot Post the code for my map right now as I’m away from my computer, but when spawning via “hellknight” for some reason it’s spawning sergeants instead.

Shotgunguy's spawn id is 1, have you tried spawning other things, like archvile (id. 111)?

I got it to work finally, I had accidentally put the actor identifier in the wrong slot.

Another quick question since it was debated but not really decided, are maps still restricted to the "1 continuous un-interupted room" concept or is that going to be dropped?

51 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Another quick question since it was debated but not really decided, are maps still restricted to the "1 continuous un-interupted room" concept or is that going to be dropped?

Based on 94's and my short discussion, it seemed that the conclusion was that the principle has been stretched, not entirely to the point of breaking, but perhaps close. I still think that that design principle should be adhered to as closely as practical. I don't think it's a good idea to start wholesale designing doors and walls and multiple rooms, just because we've stretched the original design rule.

That is just my opinion. Ultimately, @94's the best style, @therektafire, and @DeXiaZ should be consulted before proceeding. At the end of the day, it's their call.

18 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

More dead simple than Spawning vats. That's a good way to say it.

4 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Hmm, I like that precedent, kinda a good way to look at it.

10 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

I could be down with that. That's not such a bad interpretation.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:24 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

Nothing from me. Due to real life reasons I've dropped any modding at present days.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:19 AM, 94's the best style said:

Nothing new at the western front. Quake mapping is fun. I would require resources of others if I wanted to work on this.

About a month ago, I wrote a post that described what I saw as the major components of the projects and the status of each. Given the latest update from Dexiaz and 94's the best, I think it's useful to revisit where we stand (I assume @therektafire is in a similar situation, since he hasn't chimed in differently, but maybe not). Unless we want this project to remain stagnant for several months, this may be time for the rest of us to work on some parts of it to get the project moving again, at least until the leads return.

Compiling the final pk3

• Dexiaz had done this, with some correction from @MegaBlast. @Bauul offered assistance (that's how I interpreted this post about did 94 need a hand managing the pk3). Would either of you (or any of the other contributors) be willing to help on compiling the pk3?
  • I would offer assistance, but I don't know anything about compiling pk3's, so I wouldn't be of any help.

Status of levels

• Several contributors responded that their levels were complete and there would be no further updates. Since then, there's been a secret level and talk of a new map from DerFurer's Face.
  • So, Dexiaz, 94's the best, @Big Ol Billy @Plusw @Empyre @DerFurer'sFace @Bushpig2dope @Rolpa @DanielAlexander and @DMPhobos: are your levels all in a final state that you want incorporated into the beta release? Or are there changes that need to be made?
  • DerFurer's Face, this question applies doubly to you, since you announced that you had changes for your zeppelin map and then you were also making a Powerslave/Egypt map.

Hub map

• Dexiaz has put in a lot of work on the hub map and might want to "take it to the mountain," as it were. If so, then we wait. If not, someone else could step in and finish the map, which would include the HK IoS boss fight.
    • Since I don't do UDMF or ACS scripting, I doubt I would be much help, but I can try to take a look at it, if no one with more substantial skills in these areas doesn't volunteer.
  • Personally, while I'd like to have all the barracks room be unique and the headstones in the graveyard be "right," I don't want to hold up the project for either of those items.

Intermission screens

• Are these done?

Map order

• Dexiaz had the suggestion to start the mapset at Doomguy's Initiation and have that lead into the hub, instead of just starting at the hub and having Doomguy's Initiation be one of the maps.
    • We never reached an agreement on this.
    • Personally, I prefer starting from the hub, but someone needs to make a decision.
  • As far as map order goes, do we want to change the order of the maps as they would be referenced in the hub (i.e., which map is accessible from button 1, which map from button 2, and so on), or just stick with the order from the latest alpha?

Secret map

• Is the secret map in its final state, @94's the best style?
  • Are we all on the same page to hide the secret map somewhere in the hub?

Knightmare! difficulty

• Should the way to access this difficulty be hidden inside the hub, a la Quake's hidden Nightmare difficulty?
  • 94's the best has done the coding--would it be difficult to incorporate a different difficulty from within the hub?
  • This option would also suggest that the mapset should start with the hub and not with Doomguy's initiation.

MAPINFO

• There were issues that need to be fixed with the MAPINFO. Someone (perhaps whoever is handling compiling) could fix these problems.
    • Again, I would be little help in this area, given my meager knowledge on the subject matter.

The last alpha compilation for this CP came out a few months ago (at least) and this project has been essentially stagnant for the better part of the last month (publicly, at least). I know that it's getting toward the end of the year, and we are all busy, but I just want to get this project moving and (hopefully) done. Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

About a month ago, I wrote a post that described what I saw as the major components of the projects and the status of each. Given the latest update from Dexiaz and 94's the best, I think it's useful to revisit where we stand (I assume @therektafire is in a similar situation, since he hasn't chimed in differently, but maybe not). Unless we want this project to remain stagnant for several months, this may be time for the rest of us to work on some parts of it to get the project moving again, at least until the leads return.

Compiling the final pk3

• Dexiaz had done this, with some correction from @MegaBlast. @Bauul offered assistance (that's how I interpreted this post about did 94 need a hand managing the pk3). Would either of you (or any of the other contributors) be willing to help on compiling the pk3?
  • I would offer assistance, but I don't know anything about compiling pk3's, so I wouldn't be of any help.

Status of levels

• Several contributors responded that their levels were complete and there would be no further updates. Since then, there's been a secret level and talk of a new map from DerFurer's Face.
  • So, Dexiaz, 94's the best, @Big Ol Billy @Plusw @Empyre @DerFurer'sFace @Bushpig2dope @Rolpa @DanielAlexander and @DMPhobos: are your levels all in a final state that you want incorporated into the beta release? Or are there changes that need to be made?
  • DerFurer's Face, this question applies doubly to you, since you announced that you had changes for your zeppelin map and then you were also making a Powerslave/Egypt map.

Hub map

• Dexiaz has put in a lot of work on the hub map and might want to "take it to the mountain," as it were. If so, then we wait. If not, someone else could step in and finish the map, which would include the HK IoS boss fight.
    • Since I don't do UDMF or ACS scripting, I doubt I would be much help, but I can try to take a look at it, if no one with more substantial skills in these areas doesn't volunteer.
  • Personally, while I'd like to have all the barracks room be unique and the headstones in the graveyard be "right," I don't want to hold up the project for either of those items.

Intermission screens

• Are these done?

Map order

• Dexiaz had the suggestion to start the mapset at Doomguy's Initiation and have that lead into the hub, instead of just starting at the hub and having Doomguy's Initiation be one of the maps.
    • We never reached an agreement on this.
    • Personally, I prefer starting from the hub, but someone needs to make a decision.
  • As far as map order goes, do we want to change the order of the maps as they would be referenced in the hub (i.e., which map is accessible from button 1, which map from button 2, and so on), or just stick with the order from the latest alpha?

Secret map

• Is the secret map in its final state, @94's the best style?
  • Are we all on the same page to hide the secret map somewhere in the hub?

Knightmare! difficulty

• Should the way to access this difficulty be hidden inside the hub, a la Quake's hidden Nightmare difficulty?
  • 94's the best has done the coding--would it be difficult to incorporate a different difficulty from within the hub?
  • This option would also suggest that the mapset should start with the hub and not with Doomguy's initiation.

MAPINFO

• There were issues that need to be fixed with the MAPINFO. Someone (perhaps whoever is handling compiling) could fix these problems.
    • Again, I would be little help in this area, given my meager knowledge on the subject matter.

The last alpha compilation for this CP came out a few months ago (at least) and this project has been essentially stagnant for the better part of the last month (publicly, at least). I know that it's getting toward the end of the year, and we are all busy, but I just want to get this project moving and (hopefully) done. Thank you.

I can do the coding, decorate is ez. I suppose that all maps are taken as final, but we require Dexiaz's work if we are to finish this. Note that I'll be joining NaWriMo in November, so I won't have much time for mapping then. 

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Yeah I'm happy with my map as it stands. I was hoping a project leader would play it and give feedback if it fit the rule set perfectly but I don't think anyone at all has played it yet

I had hopes of my powerslave map being ready but idk if i can finish it. Shame since i got the 2 main script actions, wall shooter and destructible walls, in working order. I could pump out the map but it would look not the greatest and i don't want it to holdup the CP so i'll throw it out. However i do want to make 1 small change to the zeppelin which i can do this week (just need to add an elevator).

Unless a problem comes up in my map, it is good to go. Please use the latest version, hktower5, with the wider column that the bridges go through.

Thank you, @Pegleg, for the detailed report about the whole situation.

Well, I want to finish the hub map, but I just don't have so much time when I'm free from work. I don't like situations when any project just get frozen for a long time, but I can't help it now. If things will happen in a good way I'll finish this map (at least the geometry, I think I need help with ACS just because I don't know how to script the HUB system itself) in first days of November.

My "Giant Cyberdemon" map is kinda finished, but I think it needs more details. Don't know will I add them on this map, in first place I just want to finish the HUB.

16 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@Bauul offered assistance (that's how I interpreted this post about did 94 need a hand managing the pk3). Would either of you (or any of the other contributors) be willing to help on compiling the pk3?

The offer still stands. Do the project managers have a Discord or PM thread going?

I am forever alone a lone wolf in this place, so I don't chat with doomers in Discord. I'm just leaving some messages right here. Anyway, I'm not the project leader, I'm just a random-stuff-guy which decided to finish the HUB map.

So I should shut up just because I'm not the one who must answer your question :]

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

So, Dexiaz, 94's the best, @Big Ol Billy : are your levels all in a final state that you want incorporated into the beta release?

Dexiaz had the suggestion to start the mapset at Doomguy's Initiation and have that lead into the hub, instead of just starting at the hub and having Doomguy's Initiation be one of the maps.

This option would also suggest that the mapset should start with the hub and not with Doomguy's initiation.

Thanks for keeping the flame burning y’all, especially through the stagnation. I want to update my map, especially if it’s actually gonna be the opening, since I think there are some doable ways to make it less sloggy (I’d rather start w/ the hub tbh, but I’m not totally opposed if people want to start w my map). Unfortunately irl stuff and other project commitments are going to have to take priority for at least the next few weeks. So I’d say for now that it’s “alpha-ready” if not totally finished. Sorry for being wishy-washy :/

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

The offer still stands. Do the project managers have a Discord or PM thread going?

Nice.

If it came down to it and there was no one to compile the .PK3 I would've stepped in.

Good luck finishing the project off, sounds like it's finally almost there.