Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

That's good, and with my new computer, I might actually be able to run it.

XD yeah sorry bout that, I just gotta have my clouds man.

plus it helps that I reduced the 500+ 3D floors down to like 50

@94's the best style @therektafire Đeⓧiaz (and anyone else with an opinion)

On 10/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

<quoted because I can't figure out how to mention you since you changed your name from Dexiaz to Đeⓧiaz>

What still needs to be done to move this project forward to either Alpha 4 or Beta 1?

Uh, sorry, possibly that's the problem of the "Đ" letter.

Anyway, the to do list still the pretty same from the last time...

For me - is just finish the HUB map and make the final map based on this HUB map. For you - I thought you did everything needed at the present time.

Well, I'm moving to my new apartment in another city, so unfortunately I'm really busy right now.

I'll have some free time after the 3rd day of December, but right now I'm not able to finish even a map for the "CC64" project (which's deadline is 3rd day of December, lmao).

About 4800HK's project - I want to make an animated bunker door, I have a "base" for making new textures, but I didn't touch it to make textures "doomish". It will use "Door_Animate" from Strife (OR I'll use just Change_texture sequence with sound & blocking options, IDK, effect will be the same).

Also I'll remade the portal room - no more StarGate here, it would be like in Crash Bandicoot 3 - with animated D64 wormhole with images of your maps "inside of it". Well, I'll show it when I'll be free

2 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

For me - is just finish the HUB map and make the final map based on this HUB map. For you - I thought you did everything needed at the present time.

Well, I'm moving to my new apartment in another city, so unfortunately I'm really busy right now.

I'll have some free time after the 3rd day of December, but right now I'm not able to finish even a map for the "CC64" project (which's deadline is 3rd day of December, lmao).

About 4800HK's project - I want to make an animated bunker door, I have a "base" for making new textures, but I didn't touch it to make textures "doomish". It will use "Door_Animate" from Strife (OR I'll use just Change_texture sequence with sound & blocking options, IDK, effect will be the same).

Also I'll remade the portal room - no more StarGate here, it would be like in Crash Bandicoot 3 - with animated D64 wormhole with images of your maps "inside of it". Well, I'll show it when I'll be free

Cool, I'll be free too in December, so we should definitely at least try to aim for an anniversary release. This thread was posted on 22th, which is a bit more reasonable than the about week earlier first iteration of 48k.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:06 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

On 11/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, 94's the best style said:

Cool, I'll be free too in December, so we should definitely at least try to aim for an anniversary release. This thread was posted on 22th, which is a bit more reasonable than the about week earlier first iteration of 48k.

So does that mean that the only things left undone are to finish the hub map and compile a new pk3? So the rest of everything (intermission screens, title screens, Hell Knightmare mode, etc.) is done?

No, I didn't thinked about pics and other small tweaks like Hell Knightmare mode. Sorry, but I'm only interested in HUB map and it's scripting to make it working with the other maps without problems. That's why I didn't think about mentioned things

"This"? Well, I don't have free time for modding, so if we're going to release it very soon, I can outsource my wip material here.

Yeah, Happy Doom Birthday!

49 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

"This"? Well, I don't have free time for modding, so if we're going to release it very soon, I can outsource my wip material here.

Yeah, Happy Doom Birthday!

I want the pack out before end of the year. Otherwise it will feel like we're gunning for the Mordeth Award. 

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

I want the pack out before end of the year. Otherwise it will feel like we're gunning for the Mordeth Award. 

We're still several years away from even being in the discussion for the Mordeth Award, but your point is well-taken. The development has taken awhile. Let's get it done and released!

On 12/11/2018 at 1:37 AM, 94's the best style said:

I want the pack out before end of the year. 

Well that didn't happen :)

@94's the best style @therektafire and dexiaz

On 12/10/2018 at 11:30 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

Ok, sounds reasonable. I'm not able to work with anything until the january, so here goes my wip material:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/81rfeon7ar48ooc/DXZ_HUB_resources.7z/file

As was just pointed out, we didn't get the mapset out before the end of the year. (In all fairness, you didn't say which year.)

The end of the year is always a hectic time to be sure, with holidays, vacations, family, work, other CP deadlines, etc., but now it's a new year. And with the new year comes (presumably) more time to work on 4800 Hell Knights.

So, let's look at what is left to do:

Non-secret maps

All are finished and in their final state, as far as I know. @Big Ol Billy @Plusw @DerFurer'sFace @Bushpig2dope @Rolpa

@DanielAlexander Are your maps finished? We've heard in the affirmative from everyone else. DFF, I gather you're happy with your Zeppelin map, but you had mentioned wanting to do a Powerslave map--what is the status of that map (you had scripting actions done)?

Secret map

Finished. I don't know if there's anymore work to be done on it, but I assume it is finished since it was released back on September 30.

Map order

Were we going to leave the map order as is? Or change it around? Since this mapset is largely playable in GZDoom only, the map order isn't that critical. It would largely only affect which picture is displayed in the wormhole when you step on a button. There was some discussion of making Doomguy's Initiation the initial map that precedes the hub, but I don't know if that ever got past the musing stage.

Hub map

Still needs to be finished. Đeⓧiaz, hopefully you'll have some more time to work on it, since you wanted to finish it.

Final map

Still needs to be finished. Was this going to be the HK Icon of Sin (we have the code from Spie812) in its own level or somewhere in the hub?

Title screen

Finished, from what I remember. We may still need the title to go with it, which leads to...

Title

Did we ever settle on a title? "4800 Hell Knights" could work, since people know it that way, but it's not really accurate anymore. We've bounced a bunch of ideas around, but we now have to settle on one. Perhaps we could put up some contenders and vote on them (anyone who is interested in the title can vote).

Demos

Are demos even a thing with a pk3 compilation? Do demos even make sense to have? If so, we would need to pick a few of the maps and have demos made by one or more people. This is not meant to be a "mapper submits a demo of his/her own level," just a thought that did we need to have demos that would play prior to the mapset being started?

Intermission screens

Some work was done on these, I think, but I don't know if they were finished.

Knightmare! difficulty

The coding is finished. Now we just need to determine how to implement it--as a standalone difficulty accessible from the menu or as a "secret" like Quake's Nightmare difficulty.

MAPINFO

Were the problems with MAPINFO ever fixed?

Compiling the PK3

@Bauul offered to help with this before, assuming the offer is still good. @MegaBlast also offered his services if no one else was available, again assuming that offer is still on the table.

This mapset is close. Let's see if we can get this cleaned up and done and get a beta out soon. Perhaps we can finish this by the end of January, but I'll leave the timetable to the project leads.

The problem with the secret difficulty is monster placements. I have Cacodemons hidden behind lava high on a wall which fly out once the player shoots. I have a feeling Hellknights will just be awkwardly stuck up there and 100% kills would be impossible

EDIT: Also yes my map is finished, I have confirmed that previously but it got buried a bit

Edited by Bushpig2dope

@Pegleg I've been busy with other projects and life, but unless there were other issues, i am well content with my zepplin map.

As for the powerslave map, i stopped working on that a while ago since I thought the deadline was gonna be back in like December XD

I'd love to finish it, but i'm unsure if I could especially since it sounds like people want this pushed out. But if it won't be for another month then I could try and finish it, maybe make it a smaller map.

14 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Demos

Considering how they tend to break between GZDoom versions, I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

At this point, i think it would be better to release the project without a hub map, all maps were completed some time ago, continuous play wouldn't hurt the set

@94's the best style

13 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

The problem with the secret difficulty is monster placements. I have Cacodemons hidden behind lava high on a wall which fly out once the player shoots. I have a feeling Hellknights will just be awkwardly stuck up there and 100% kills would be impossible

That's probably the case with a number of maps that are geared around the behavior of particular types of monsters. Perhaps we could add a message before you activate the Knightmare! difficulty level, in the same vein as "Are you sure? This difficulty isn't remotely fair? Y/N?" In this case, it could read something like, "Are you sure? This difficulty level changes all monsters to Hell Nobles, which may change the way the maps play. Y/N?"

13 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

EDIT: Also yes my map is finished, I have confirmed that previously but it got buried a bit

Yeah, sorry about that. I noticed it, but forgot to take your name off the list.

14 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

As for the powerslave map, i stopped working on that a while ago since I thought the deadline was gonna be back in like December XD

I'd love to finish it, but i'm unsure if I could especially since it sounds like people want this pushed out. But if it won't be for another month then I could try and finish it, maybe make it a smaller map.

I'll leave the timetable to the project leads to sort out.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Considering how they tend to break between GZDoom versions, I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

Good point. So no demos. Well, good news, that's one less thing to worry about.

5 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

At this point, i think it would be better to release the project without a hub map, all maps were completed some time ago, continuous play wouldn't hurt the set

If we were going to make this map into continuous play, then we should definitely revisit the map order. Otherwise, I have no problem with having the mapset be continuous play. It would be nice to have a final boss, but not essential. A story would also be nice, as well.

22 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

Oh brother, this project has turned into a real Knightmare to finish off.

Ba dum tssh.

@Capellan @Worm318

I agree that Knightmare should be in the title somewhere. What else, I don't quite know, but I like the idea of Knightmare being in there.

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Hub map

Still needs to be finished. Đeⓧiaz, hopefully you'll have some more time to work on it, since you wanted to finish it.

Final map

Still needs to be finished. Was this going to be the HK Icon of Sin (we have the code from Spie812) in its own level or somewhere in the hub?

Eh, I thought to give up just because you wanted to finish it FAST. My idea of the Final map was "Hub map which is destroyed" like in Doom RPG 1.

I don't have so much time after work, so it doesn't seem possible to me to finish the HUB map. Just because if you will give it back to me, it will ruin the idea of the fast making.

So it's better to finish map without me to release this mod faster.

I have to admit that I don't really have the skills to work with a zdoom map, which is why I haven't really tried to work on it after checking it out. 

If you want to help @Pegleg, the one thing we need are the absolute latest versions of every map, and a way to compile them. 

Final level: Done

Other maps: Done (of course)

94's Decorate funstuff like difficulties and custom monsters: Done (Few checks and tweaks can be made later)

Other mapper's custom stuff: Trouble for compiling, can Gzdoom just read the custom stuff from the wads? This is what makes compiling difficult.

Also, it was a fun x-mas, made a JOM map and some Quake maps, yeah, time flied too fast, but people do seem to want 4,8k hell knights to be released.

Edit:

Ah-ha! A light bulb turned on over my head, episodes! We can cut the map rotation into episodes, that will help with balancing, especially as there's a few maps fit for start maps, and final maps. 

Edited by 94's the best style

15 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

I have to admit that I don't really have the skills to work with a zdoom map, which is why I haven't really tried to work on it after checking it out. 

If you want to help @Pegleg, the one thing we need are the absolute latest versions of every map, and a way to compile them. 

Final level: Done

Other maps: Done (of course)

94's Decorate funstuff like difficulties and custom monsters: Done (Few checks and tweaks can be made later)

Other mapper's custom stuff: Trouble for compiling, can Gzdoom just read the custom stuff from the wads? This is what makes compiling difficult.

Also, it was a fun x-mas, made a JOM map and some Quake maps, yeah, time flied too fast, but people do seem to want 4,8k hell knights to be released.

Edit:

Ah-ha! A light bulb turned on over my head, episodes! We can cut the map rotation into episodes, that will help with balancing, especially as there's a few maps fit for start maps, and final maps. 

Episodes is potentially a good idea. We might need a story to drive that, but it's not a bad thought. We would definitely need to sort out the map order then.

I can download the my recent version of each map in the thread and I can try my hand at compiling them. However, I've never actually compiled anything, let alone a pk3, so I don't know how much help I would be. If nothing else, I could certainly gather together all the maps and zip them together if I was having a less than successful time of it.

But as far as the MAPINFO side of things goes, which I think would be necessary with episodes, I don't know how much help I would be with that since I know next to nothing about MAPINFO.

I'm willing to try my hand at helping on this, as much as I can.

@94's the best style

You may want to consider including the author of each map in your spreadsheet.

That being said, I like the breakdown. Are you planning to have a consistent sky for each episode?

My map isn't "techbase" it's more "cyberspace" realm, hence wireframe stuff. I hope my cyberspace map will keep aa-tex sky too. Also, if you'll write  author usernames, please change my username in this one which I use.