Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

@Voltcom9

The Dropbox link to the latest version of your map is returning an error. Can you post an updated download link to it? Thanks.

Other than that, I think I have the latest version of the other 19 maps.

@Voltcom9

Can you post the latest version of your map again (or fix the link to it in the original 4800 Hell Knights post).

@94's the best style

I assume that you have a working copy of Voltcom's map. If Voltcom doesn't respond to this post, I'll send you the other 19 maps and we can proceed from there.

Also, the title of this mapset has come up in another thread. Shall we just pick some titles containing "Knightmare" and put them to a vote? Or do you just want to decide on the title by fiat?

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Shall we just pick some titles containing "Knightmare" and put them to a vote? Or do you just want to decide on the title by fiat?

If I can add my two cents on this, 4800 Hell Knights has been the wad's name for so long that changing it might rather undo over a year's worth of awareness. That's a lot of brand recognition to walk away from!

18 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@Voltcom9

Can you post the latest version of your map again (or fix the link to it in the original 4800 Hell Knights post).

@94's the best style

I assume that you have a working copy of Voltcom's map. If Voltcom doesn't respond to this post, I'll send you the other 19 maps and we can proceed from there.

Also, the title of this mapset has come up in another thread. Shall we just pick some titles containing "Knightmare" and put them to a vote? Or do you just want to decide on the title by fiat?

Alright Peggy, hit me up when you can. Then I can add the last few map definitions and intermission texts, and perhaps also work on adding the mapper names to the maps. Also, does anyone know how to do the Doom 2 cast roll? Zdoom wiki isn't very helpful with that.

16 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Also, does anyone know how to do the Doom 2 cast roll? Zdoom wiki isn't very helpful with that.

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

9 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

That was precisely what wasn't really helpful. It severely lacks examples, I learned the text intermissions from "if doom 2 had mapinfo, this is what it would look like", but that didn't include cast roll.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:23 AM, 94's the best style said:

Also, does anyone know how to do the Doom 2 cast roll?

By that, do you mean the shots of each monster (with their names) that appears after you defeat the IoS in Doom 2? Or did you mean something else?

I'll advice to check PSX Doom TC "txt" files, it uses changed Doom 2 cast roll. It must be helpful

5 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

That was precisely what wasn't really helpful. It severely lacks examples, I learned the text intermissions from "if doom 2 had mapinfo, this is what it would look like", but that didn't include cast roll.

As suggested by @Aquila Chrysaetos, the gzdoom.pk3 is always a good reference for this kind of thing.

Have a look in mapinfo/common.txt.  The Doom 2 cast-call is all defined there.

@94's the best style

Download link

I wasn't able to actually compile these into a playable form, but I did gather them all and zip them into 1 file. This should be the most recent of each file. I also included Big Ol Billy's HUD, in case you wanted to add that. The zip only contains your stripped map, so you would have to add the rest of the Map 666 stuff, but you should have that. I added ExMy to the beginning of each file to organize them, along with the author. I added Doge Sword's as the 7th map of Episode 1, right before the DanielAlexander's Cathedral Map. I also added the HellKnightCraft Map as the 2nd map of Episode 2, right after DMPhobos's Prison Break map.

These are somewhat arbitrary distinctions and can be changed as you see fit.

What is the current text you've written that appears after each mission?

With regard to the number 4800, with 20 maps, there's at least 3200 Hell Knights (or rather Hell Nobles). Does anyone know how many Hell Nobles and variants are actually in this mapset? "Knightmare: 4800 Hell Knights" may end up being not too far off.

7 hours ago, SilverHawaiin said:

Shit I finished my map for this such a long time ago damn hows it going foos

Bad because we decided to lose touch with the entire wads premise and now nobody cares about it

On 4/5/2019 at 11:04 PM, Bushpig2dope said:

Bad because we decided to lose touch with the entire wads premise and now nobody cares about it

I wouldn't say no one cares about it. I know there's interest put there for it, because I've seen Discord threads where it has come up. I've talked with @94's the best style about getting this finished off and, from what I can tell (94's is free to chime in with another thought), the main problem seems to be difficulty in playtesting due to only being able to test the maps in bursts.

As for losing touch with the premise, one could argue that happened early on. One could also argue that if this ended up being a mapset full of maps that were giant square rooms with 150 Hell Knights and 1 megaspehere, that it would have fallen sharply into the "jokewad" category. I think people ended up taking it, and some limitations, seriously, which is why we have a more legitimate mapset.

As things stand right now, the maps have all been assembled. A rough order for continuous play

, along with episodes, has been worked out. Some work has been done on the end-of-episode text screens, but more needs to be done, I think. There was some other work to be done with MAPINFO and related things. All that being said, we're teetering close to the edge of this being finished. We just need to push it over.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, Đeⓧiaz said:

@therektafire @Bauul @MegaBlast bushpig2dope 94's the best style

Would any of you be up for helping to bring this over the finish line?

20 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I wouldn't say no one cares about it. I know there's interest put there for it, because I've seen Discord threads where it has come up. I've talked with @94's the best style about getting this finished off and, from what I can tell (94's is free to chime in with another thought), the main problem seems to be difficulty in playtesting due to only being able to test the maps in bursts.

As for losing touch with the premise, one could argue that happened early on. One could also argue that if this ended up being a mapset full of maps that were giant square rooms with 150 Hell Knights and 1 megaspehere, that it would have fallen sharply into the "jokewad" category. I think people ended up taking it, and some limitations, seriously, which is why we have a more legitimate mapset.

As things stand right now, the maps have all been assembled. A rough order for continuous play

, along with episodes, has been worked out. Some work has been done on the end-of-episode text screens, but more needs to be done, I think. There was some other work to be done with MAPINFO and related things. All that being said, we're teetering close to the edge of this being finished. We just need to push it over.

@therektafire @Bauul @MegaBlast bushpig2dope 94's the best style

I tried playing my own map submission again after what seemed to be 2-3 years now? and.. I hate it, only because its missing one thing, and that is a BFG. A BFG would literally solve the problems I was having with the map when playing through it again. Why did I think invulnerability with rockets was good? It's bonkers. If I repost my map again, There will be a BFG that would just make the level more fun then frustrating. I still like the design though, and the use of GZDoom features too such as the middle 3D floor and some other things. who changed my map name by the way?

5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

What exactly do you need? As I can see, most major problems including hub/episodes system were fixed.

13 hours ago, SilverHawaiin said:

I tried playing my own map submission again after what seemed to be 2-3 years now? and.. I hate it, only because its missing one thing, and that is a BFG. A BFG would literally solve the problems I was having with the map when playing through it again. Why did I think invulnerability with rockets was good? It's bonkers. If I repost my map again, There will be a BFG that would just make the level more fun then frustrating. I still like the design though, and the use of GZDoom features too such as the middle 3D floor and some other things. who changed my map name by the way?

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with making a simple change that would make the map less grindy more "fun" (yes, what is fun is subjective--some people like grindy slaughter). As long as it's a minor change (like adding a BFG), I don't think that would be a problem, especially since the mapset is currently stalled.

That being said, it's up to the project leads to make that determination, since it could effect potential map order.

By the way, what was the name of your map changed to?

8 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

What exactly do you need? As I can see, most major problems including hub/episodes system were fixed.

We decided to abandon the hub concept to more quickly move the project to completion. So, the general episodes were established. There's been some work on at least one of the intermission texts, but those need to be finished. According to 94's the best style, there's still some minor work to do with the MAPINFO, but most of the coding side of things was done. I don't know if there is still a problem with the PK3 compilation. I think the map loading graphics, title, and CWILV's are finished.

The bottom line is that it's very close to being finished, so we just need the final push. There may not be that much left to do, so we should just get it done.

20 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

We decided to abandon the hub concept to more quickly move the project to completion. So, the general episodes were established. There's been some work on at least one of the intermission texts, but those need to be finished. According to 94's the best style, there's still some minor work to do with the MAPINFO, but most of the coding side of things was done. I don't know if there is still a problem with the PK3 compilation. I think the map loading graphics, title, and CWILV's are finished.

You've mentioned me only for THIS? No, thanks. It have been several months already since you've abandoned my HUB map for basically NOTHING. You said that it will save time and speed up the project release. And still, this project is not released. I would say that there was more than enough time for me to finish my hub map.
I'm not going to help this project anymore

5 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

You've mentioned me only for THIS? No, thanks. It have been several months already since you've abandoned my HUB map for basically NOTHING. You said that it will save time and speed up the project release. And still, this project is not released. I would say that there was more than enough time for me to finish my hub map.

Didn't you throw your hands up and say you weren't going to finish the hub even before we ditched it? I thought we ditched it because you just ditched the project

4 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Didn't you throw your hands up and say you weren't going to finish the hub even before we ditched it? I thought we ditched it because you just ditched the project

No.

I said that I need more time due to IRL things. And @Pegleg said something like "No, I don't want to wait you. Finish it right now or abandon it. We need to hurry". So I've abandoned it, of course. And what we can see? I've already finished all my real life business and I was able to finish my map twice in a row.

But no, we have unreleased project without my map.

12 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

No.

I said that I need more time due to IRL things. And @Pegleg said something like "No, I don't want to wait you. Finish it right now or abandon it. We need to hurry". So I've abandoned it, of course. And what we can see? I've already finished all my real life business and I was able to finish my map twice in a row.

But no, we have unreleased project without my map.

I am not the lead for this project. I have no say over anything to do with this project. The final decisions rest with others. I am not trying to surreptitiously take over the project, nor do I want to do so. I am merely an interested party who wants to see this project get released.

Looking back through the thread, you said that you would be unable to finish the hub due to a variety of issues, 94's the best style said that the goal was to have the mapset released by the end of the year, I remarked that we should just get it finished and released (so I can see how you might interpret that as saying we don't want to wait for you, but that wasn't my intention, and you sent your WIP. No one seemed to pick up the WIP hub and finish it, and then 94's came up with the idea of episodes.

To be clear: I liked the hub. I liked the concept behind it. I liked the details, like the barracks and the graveyard. I liked the portal idea and the way you structured it. I liked the armory that opened up later. I liked the final boss being part of the hub after you came back after finishing the 18th map (or whatever the number was). The hub level had always been a somewhat unique part of this project--being something more original than just a big room with doors on the walls that led to the other maps. But this isn't my project. Decisions like that should be the domain of the leads, @94's the best style @therektafire and you being the three that I considered to be at the head of this project.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we decided to put the hub back in the project, if it meant there was actually progress being made. But that is up to others. As I have said in previous posts, I have reached the limit of what I can do in support of the CP, because I can't do the coding, Decorate, etc. necessary to finish up the GZDoom-specific stuff.

22 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

I mentioned you because you had been active in trying to push this set to completion. It's too bad that you don't want to help anymore, but I can understand your frustration.

For the record, yes, I'm still happy to help finish off any GZDoom specific stuff and compile the pk3 if help is still needed.

Oh boy what have i done :( What needs to be finished on the hub, I should have helped complete it once I got the time to be able to map more often but of course I just ignored it. Has the final boss map been completed yet? If not I can do that

On 4/10/2019 at 2:09 AM, therektafire said:

Oh boy what have i done :( What needs to be finished on the hub, I should have helped complete it once I got the time to be able to map more often but of course I just ignored it. Has the final boss map been completed yet? If not I can do that

Hi buddy, long time no see. I finished the final boss level like, geez, over half a year ago. Of course since then I picked up Quake mapping and pretty much neglected Doom like some terrible parent. The sad part is that I had the foresight to see this coming a year ago, which was when I was pushing the megawad to be finished quickly, like I think april last year was one deadline that was meant to be final.

8 hours ago, therektafire said:

We did literally the exact same thing then basically lol. what needs to be finished on the hub

I know that, I've been watching you.

430558442_Iknow.PNG.1cf2e5438ae4924fd342f0541d40ef76.PNG

(It's not his full quote.)

I figured as much. So was the graveyard completed? Were screenshots added in the barrack rooms for each map? Also I just tested the current alpha (or at least the one linked in the OP) and it crashed when trying to access the hub. I got an error that said "unable to open map HUBMAP", this was when using the newest version of gzdoom (4.0.0), is the hub itself not in the pk3 yet