Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

How amount of features removed and backward incompatible changes made in MS windows?

Have you tried running them in compatibility mode? It always surprises me when things work using it.

I did try to run them in compatible mode, but it only works for software,not games relying on DirectDraw mode.

I could use software to make those games run.

You could probably get a virtual machine with an older Windows (if your computer is powerful enough to support a VM, that is) and run the games/software on there. Worked for me personally, anyway.

In general I don't usually have a problem with running older games. I do however notice certain developers have a track record for having games not work right, probably due to shoddy porting or weird coding methods. Old Rockstar games can be a huge pain in the ass to get set up and running on anything past WinXP.

A good number of games have source ports, or you can emulate them or use a wrapper like dgVoodoo. And in the case of some older Rockstar games, lots of fan patches exist. 

This site can be a good hub for fixes and tweaks: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

It's a weird layered thing with PC where one generation tends to be kind of sort of compatible with the previous except for some special cases, but farther back than that starts getting more and more iffy.  9x can mostly run DOS stuff but some things balk or get unstable (and booting 9x to DOS mode is not always the answer; see Bio Menace which must have an actual DOS loaded to not crash).  XP can likewise mostly run 9x stuff with some exceptions and even a little bit of DOS stuff as long as it doesn't need sound cards or stuff like that... etc.

Surprising as it may be, WINE on Linux is often a good choice for running older Windows stuff, sometimes even better than using a compatibility mode on Windows although it's still a bit hit or miss.  I believe you have to be on 32-bit to put WINE in Windows 95 / Windows 98 mode though.

M$ removed heavy amount of useful features starting with Vista,then it removed some features in Win7 and introduced backward-incompatibility changes.

It also removed that Aero glass feature in Win8.

Some features was (or have been) very short-lived.

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

"even a little bit of DOS stuff as long as it doesn't need sound cards or stuff like that... etc."

I heard of some sort of program that uses SB16 emulation to enable full sound in the Virtual DOS Mode in WinXP.

Saddest thing is,it does not work in WinVista and later.

23 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I heard of some sort of program that uses SB16 emulation to enable full sound in the Virtual DOS Mode in WinXP.

Saddest thing is,it does not work in WinVista and later.

VDMSound.  It's been ages since I attempted to do anything with it but as I recall the results were less than stellar.

Hm, what games and software are you trying to run? I've never run into compatibility issues with my games or programs (Vista doesn't count, let it lie in the ruins in which it was created anyway).

On 12/23/2017 at 6:52 PM, 129thVisplane said:

You could probably get a virtual machine with an older Windows (if your computer is powerful enough to support a VM, that is) and run the games/software on there. Worked for me personally, anyway.

I would,but games known to only work in windows 95/98 that used MIDI would sound as fuck.