Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Who installed the windows 10 fall creators update and got hit with problems?

I am having a bullshit experience after installing it.

First,hovering over anything in taskbar,file explorer does not give any response.

Second,attempting to load a save in GZDoom will hang it.

I got the FCU on day #1 and had no problems with it (didn't have any with CU either which is notorious for introducing shitty stutter in some games). Well, perhaps a minor annoyance (the interface bug in This PC), but other than that, nothing.

You could probably try something from this thread, particularly for the taskbar unresponsiveness. Last time I checked M$ was aware of these specific issues among others, but until they'll patch it... https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-windows-10-taskbar-not-working-creators-update.html

I've blocked the fucker for the time being. I imagine I'll have to let it "upgrade" at some point, but maybe by then they'll have squished some of the more serious bugs. However, the deliberate features are also a cause for concern.

A while back, I spent ages uninstalling all the Win 10 shite like "People", "Onenote" and the like.  The update kindly reinstalled it all for me.  Thanks, Windows...

12 minutes ago, Grazza said:

the more serious bugs.

Such as? I'm just curious since I didn't run into major issues with Win 10 yet, and I got 2 major updates until now.

The taskbar and the interface gives response only if I click on it.

Edit: Seems like a reboot fixed it.

Edit 2: Another problem,trying to select using mouse cursor in 7-zip seems to send it to the bottom-right of the taskbar.

Edited by Cacodemon345

8 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

VICE wouldn't look right in fullscreen unless you disable fullscreen compatibility for it in its properties.

A lot of games dosen't look right in fullscreen without disabilng fullscreen optimizations.

They looked right in my old PC.

Either due to modern GPUs having problems with 680x480 resolution or M$ screwing something up.

The Creators Update made my already slow-arsed poota even slower and it kindly reset a whole bunch of my settings. Yep, cheers, thanks. :P

And they STILL haven't fixed that extremely annoying taskbar preview windows problem (I've tried all the 'solutions' to end it.)

I've only just made the acquaintance of Windows 10. I normally prefer to use Windows 8.1, as I feel it's the best Windows system so far, but I came across a relatively cheap Win 10 laptop with an i7 processor, an Nvidia 740M graphics card and 8GB RAM, which I thought might be ideal for gaming. In the first few weeks of use, it only installed five minor updates, presumably security related, but earlier this evening a message appeared about a 'Feature Update', which is presumably the Fall Creator's Update. I'm quite apprehensive about this from what I've read in this thread and other places, so I delayed it for three days by selecting the 'snooze' option. Is it possible to go on postponing it indefinitely? If so, will the OS eventually become unusable or unsafe?

7 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

I'm quite apprehensive about this from what I've read in this thread and other places, so I delayed it for three days by selecting the 'snooze' option. Is it possible to go on postponing it indefinitely? If so, will the OS eventually become unusable or unsafe?

No. These sort of reports happen with every service pack update of every version of Windows, and it continues to be unproven and unsubstantiated, or just greatly overblown in its issue (see the Gaming mode thing which was misunderstood in operation).

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No. These sort of reports happen with every service pack update of every version of Windows, and it continues to be unproven and unsubstantiated, or just greatly overblown in its issue (see the Gaming mode thing which was misunderstood in operation).

like?

5 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

I normally prefer to use Windows 8.1, as I feel it's the best Windows system so far

Woah! You're just as rare as the people that actually liked Vista! c:

12 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Woah! You're just as rare as the people that actually liked Vista! c:

No, Vista was by all accounts a bit rubbish. Windows 8, of which I have no experience, may or may not have been similar. 

8.1 is a different matter altogether. Its default version suffers only from the confusing layout of the menus which are presented on pressing the start button. Replace this with 'Classic Shell' or 'Start X Menu' and that's no longer an issue. Otherwise it's an impressively stable and reliable operating system with a very good range of features.

5 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Is it possible to go on postponing it indefinitely?

Do you have Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home? Pro gives you a few more options in when, how and if to receive updates. Specifically, it lets you pause updates.

A crude way to stop it updating is to tell it your internet is on a metered connection. Some information here, for instance.

"Who installed the latest windows 10 fall creators update and got hit with problems?"

2 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

No, Vista was by all accounts a bit rubbish. Windows 8, of which I have no experience, may or may not have been similar. 

My previous PC shipped with Vista some decade ago, and from my own experience it was absolute shit from all points of view, especially at release, a time I still remember like it was yesterday. Tons of compatibility issues, terribly slow compared to XP (admittedly this was improved with time as hardware had become more powerful), and unstable. I still remember I had to reinstall it a couple of times simply due to miserable updates which would not want to install properly and toast the PC. Then 7 came out which replaced Vista thanks to its disastrous release, and it was subsequently forgotten in time.

Later, after I got my new (and current) PC I initially used 8.1 (the PC did not ship with anything pre-installed), as 7 was apparently too old and just did not want to install no matter what I did, and it had become Vista 2 in my eyes shortly afterwards. For a while it was fine, or rather, it was ok for basic tasks. But the problems quickly surfaced, it was pure garbage for gaming (I've never seen such a big fluctuation of fps in my life) and later the audio drivers simply broke, somehow. Windows 10 was my only choice, one that I don't regret up to this day, and never ran into major issues or anything even remotely similar to what I experienced with Vista and 8.1.

Edited by Agent6

Yeah, I've had bad experiences with Windows 8 and 8.1 with gaming. FPS all over the place, or games that ran at 60 were halved and now played at 30. Luckily I didn't have to use it for very long at all. 

I did however, use Vista for a straight year before I finally flipped out on it one day and went back to XP.

On 12/23/2017 at 4:59 AM, Average said:

A while back, I spent ages uninstalling all the Win 10 shite like "People", "Onenote" and the like.  The update kindly reinstalled it all for me.  Thanks, Windows...

13 hours ago, savagegrant said:

The Creators Update made my already slow-arsed poota even slower and it kindly reset a whole bunch of my settings. Yep, cheers, thanks. :P

Yep, with every major update they reset and reinstall everything I didn't want on my laptop, even the fucking brightness/saturation/gamma settings. Very intrusive. I used to look forward to updates back on 7, now I am almost in crippling fear of them ruining stuff that was fine before. Otherwise it's a stable OS, just really user-unfriendly with the way they redid finding anything in most UI.

25 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Later, after I got my new (and current) PC I initially used 8.1 as 7 was apparently too old and did not want to install no matter what I did, and it has soon become Vista 2 in my eyes. For a while it was fine, or rather, for basic tasks, problems surfaced very quickly, it was pure garbage for gaming (I've never seen such a big fluctuation of fps in my life)

I got my frame rate cut in half on Unreal Engine 1.0 games, they should've been running at 60, but instead were hardlocked to 30. Carmageddon TDR 2000 also hardlocked to 28, an otherwise 60 fps game. Soon as the update for 10 was made, these frame rate problems mysteriously disappeared. So yeah 8.1 was Vista 2.

40 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Yep, with every major update they reset and reinstall everything I didn't want on my laptop, even the fucking brightness/saturation/gamma settings. Very intrusive. I used to look forward to updates back on 7, now I am almost in crippling fear of them ruining stuff that was fine before. Otherwise it's a stable OS, just really user-unfriendly with the way they redid finding anything in most UI.

I got my frame rate cut in half on Unreal Engine 1.0 games, they should've been running at 60, but instead were hardlocked to 30. Carmageddon TDR 2000 also hardlocked to 28, an otherwise 60 fps game. Soon as the update for 10 was made, these frame rate problems mysteriously disappeared. So yeah 8.1 was Vista 2.

The thing with Windows 10 seems to be that it's good as long as you also have newer hardware to fully support it and its features. Not to say it's flawless on anything newer, but it does tend to get buggier on older hardware from what I've seen here and there. It did reinstall some of the apps I removed a while ago for me too after CU and FCU were installed, but that didn't bother me much since the uninstall button is only a few clicks away and a 1min. work to do. I'm glad it didn't reset the defaults of my apps this time around, something that happened with version 1703 from what I recall. I never messed with the gamma and other graphic settings so that wasn't going to pose a problem to me.

The only obscure glitch I recently experienced was that the My Office app would not want to uninstall and after it was updated I ended up with 2 of them :v . I could uninstall the updated version but not the older one, it would simply stay there no matter how much I spammed the uninstall button in the Start Menu. Until a couple of days later (and after some restarts here and there for various reasons) when it mysteriously decided to finally disappear :v .

FPS fluctuation in 8.1 was shit as it was, but also getting it locked to 30 would've probably made me break something around here and curse until I'll be exhausted. Can't image playing MK9 in 30fps at all...

29 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

No one mentioned that Windows ME was Vista 0.5?

I never used it, but I did read various articles saying that it was shit as well and the predecessor of Vista for all it did. The only Windows versions I've ever used are 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

No one mentioned that Windows ME was Vista 0.5?

Yeah, ME sucked, probably wasn't the worst OS experience I ever had though.  I recall registry cleaners and such helping a lot to keep it livable, it seemed to get increasingly junked up over extended use and eventually break down if you didn't do stuff like that.

I had a Vista 32 SP1 for a while and no major problems with it. I'm currently on Win 7 64 and I intend to keep using it as long as possible because neither Win 8 nor Win 10 interest me in the slightest.

46 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Yeah, ME sucked, probably wasn't the worst OS experience I ever had though.  I recall registry cleaners and such helping a lot to keep it livable

That sounds ironic though since registry "cleaners" for newer Windows OSes generally destroy everything.

98, XP, 7 and 8.1 were fine for me. 2000 and vista can burn in hell, especially vista. Vista seemed fine for a while then suddenly performance started to drop and blue screens became a frequent pleasantry.

16 minutes ago, Pegg said:

seemed fine for a while then suddenly performance started to drop.

I think pretty much all versions suffer from this, a Windows specific issue that was never addressed. However, actively installing and uninstalling stuff can also contribute to this due to fragmentation (unless you have a SSD).