Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Who installed the windows 10 fall creators update and got hit with problems?

Re. the settings resetting after updates, the cynic in me suspects that Microsoft felt more of an obligation to avoid resetting user settings back to defaults with major updates in earlier versions of Windows because automatic updates were not compulsory, and so users who got cheesed off with lack of respect for user settings would most likely disable automatic updates and thereby make their systems less secure.  But with Windows 10 having compulsory automatic updates, this is no longer an objection (from MS point of view) to resetting user settings. 

Of course, some instances of it are bugs rather than intentional, but for example, in one of the earlier updates, wherever users had tried to suppress OneDrive, Microsoft reset all of the settings back to the defaults and introduced a recurring popup ad for OneDrive whenever the user did certain things in Windows Explorer, and I doubt that this was accidental.

Now that you mention the OneDrive pop up, at some point I did run into this as well while I was using certain programs (generally for converting/splitting my music), but since that was just one or two clicks away from closing, it never really bothered me, just a minor nuissance. I eventually uninstalled OneDrive since I had no need of it.

I'd turned off OneDrive's automatic startup and uninstalled it, and in one of the updates it was reinstalled, the automatic startup was turned back on and the "Set up OneDrive" popup was activated several times per day.  It turned out that uninstalling OneDrive didn't stop the popup- it had to be disabled through turning off the corresponding notification service.

Returning to this, when I applied the Fall Creators Update on my desktop a month ago, nothing of note got reset, but I applied it to my laptop yesterday and it reset my Windows Explorer view settings back to the Microsoft defaults for most types, and it also reset my picture viewer back to Photos.  It seems to be different for different machines, with machines that upgraded from Win7/8 to Win10 perhaps most susceptible.

Resetting default apps generally isn't a big inconvenience but the Explorer view settings are often time consuming because they have to be changed back for multiple different types of folder, which are subject to being hijacked by MS's "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" feature.  I wouldn't mind if it happened just once in a long while in error, but on certain machines it tends to happen after every major update.

When I applied FCU, the computer got hanged completely on it's first normal start.

In the second start, the taskbar and the File Explorer only gave me response when I clicked on something.

It got fixed on third start.

I intend to stick with 7 for the foreseeable future. I like my OSes to be OSes, and not "services". I don't need a billion and one processes hogging up RAM to collect information on everything I'm doing and ship it off to Microsoft. I don't need an AI voice talking to me to use a computer efficiently. I don't want or need MS's cloud storage "solution." And I definitely don't need any more slippery-slope features that are gradually amounting to turning the PC into Microsoft's wet dream of a walled garden environment like iOS. No thanks.

Of course I've had Windows Update disabled for a long time in Win7 now, ever since MS turned it into a malware delivery service with the pre-10 launch bullshit. Sometimes you can't win for losing.

It is bullshit to keep adding new features to Windows 10.

It is also bullshit for every single update to do some problems.

Ah, the good ol' feature creep.

Keeping using Win7 also isn't good.

Because M$ has some moronic acts to do by 2020.

Windows XP hogs lesser amount of ram than WinVista and higher.

Off-topic:Intel will also pull out BIOS support completely by 2020, which is shit considering emulators are not mature enough to run really heavy DOS stuff.

38 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Off-topic:Intel will also pull out BIOS support completely by 2020, which is shit considering emulators are not mature enough to run really heavy DOS stuff.

Isn't that kind of irrelevant?  If you want to directly run DOS as an OS it would be kind of silly to get a computer built post 2020 to do it with when there are so many used rigs on the market that are better suited to the task.  Yes, some enthusiasts will recommend a period-accurate 486 and those are expensive, but plenty of other options that are both cheaper and more powerful can also do it, the main hitch generally being if you want Sound Blaster you'll probably have to install a compatible card in it yourself.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It is bullshit to keep adding new features to Windows 10.

Honestly I love this in Windows 10. Sure, I'd also like not to have some of the stuff I'm not going to ever use (which is generally easy to remove), but to make myself clear, I am tired of seeing a new Windows OS released every 3yrs or so with generally worthy stuff for an upgrade, it's better to stick with one which is continuously updated in the foreseeable future. Not to mention that all the previously released Windows versions are quite expensive here (I daresay 10 was, and still is, dirt cheap compared to them, especially at release, 7 is much cheaper than it used to be nowadays but almost twice the price anyway), and that's an investment I am not willing to make only to enjoy a couple new features and the more or less new hardware to its maximum.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The look of Win10 isn't quite good compared to Win7.

No doubt, no need to put it mildly, the interface, menus and overall look of W10 is simply ugly compared to 7. In this regard, 10 is a mess, there's also around 4 different Control Panels in this thing and just so many options.

10 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Isn't that kind of irrelevant?  If you want to directly run DOS as an OS it would be kind of silly to get a computer built post 2020 to do it with when there are so many used rigs on the market that are better suited to the task.  Yes, some enthusiasts will recommend a period-accurate 486 and those are expensive, but plenty of other options that are both cheaper and more powerful can also do it, the main hitch generally being if you want Sound Blaster you'll probably have to install a compatible card in it yourself.

I already have a old computer.

It was bought in 2007. It is possible to run 95/98 on it.

I had an Intel HD audio card. It is not known to me if it is possible to install some Sound Blaster PCI card in it.

4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I already have a old computer.

It was bought in 2007. It is possible to run 95/98 on it.

"Who installed the windows 10 fall creators update and got hit with problems?" <- I think I found the source (or at least one of them) of your problem, you're using ancient hardware. Had I still been using my previous Pentium 4 toaster these days and install W10 on it I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into all sorts of problems with it given its ever-changing nature.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

"Who installed the windows 10 fall creators update and got hit with problems?" <- I think I found the source (or at least one of them) of your problem, you're using ancient hardware. Had I still been using my previous Pentium 4 toaster these days and install W10 on it I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into all sorts of problems with it given its ever-changing nature.

You are misunderstanding this. I run win10 on new hardware.

GZDoom got slower with FCU, almost starting to lag when heavy stuff takes place.

Edited by Cacodemon345

3 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

You are misunderstanding this. I run win10 on new hardware.

GZDoom got slower with FCU, almost starting to lag when heavy stuff takes place.

Oh, yeah, thought you meant that.

Well it's fine here, nothing really changed in terms of speed, except for shut downs. I think it's due to the new Windows Store, if I close it manually sometime before I close the PC is shuts down just as fast, just a minor annoyance. Nothing else seems to be affected or broken, including GZDoom, but if it lags for you, make sure you're not using the Software render. I think other source ports do a better job here. I recently tested that on my own on my way of making the OpenGL experience as close as possible to the DOS one, and in comparison, the Software render seems to offer noticeably lower performance in bigger and more intense areas.

4 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

including GZDoom, but if it lags for you, make sure you're not using the Software render.

I didn't use the SW renderer.

I don't even use it.

As of the latest update, Win10 has buttfucked GZDoom to the point where I can only play software mode (OpenGL mode pretty much renders it unplayable, to the point where I often have to force quit just to exit). What happens is that once I start a new game, it takes either a few seconds or almost immediately for the video output to be completely unresponsive, forcing me to use Task Manager. The audio output’s doing just fine, though. 

Additionally, the Creator’s Update has also buttfucked my laptop’s startup process, to the point where if I try waking up from hibernation, it’ll boot up as normal (rare), take forever to start up (less rare), or just straight up crash and restart (least rare). Not to mention this latest update has caused weird problems for me, ranging from the laptop having no sound at all to the laptop refusing to sleep after a certain amount of time in inactivity. 

Win10 is an unnecessary resource hog.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:45 PM, Quasar said:

I intend to stick with 7 for the foreseeable future. I like my OSes to be OSes, and not "services". I don't need a billion and one processes hogging up RAM to collect information on everything I'm doing and ship it off to Microsoft. I don't need an AI voice talking to me to use a computer efficiently. I don't want or need MS's cloud storage "solution." And I definitely don't need any more slippery-slope features that are gradually amounting to turning the PC into Microsoft's wet dream of a walled garden environment like iOS. No thanks.

Of course I've had Windows Update disabled for a long time in Win7 now, ever since MS turned it into a malware delivery service with the pre-10 launch bullshit. Sometimes you can't win for losing.

I could stick to Win7, but I'm on a new PC that has limited support for Win7. I don't like the new interface anyway, but the requirement of some apps also forces me to use Win10.

Plus, I am forced to keep Windows Update enabled to keep getting security updates, after the security flaw in GZDoom reminded me.

It is also required to keep getting updates like the Fall Creators update, otherwise M$ will pull support for it.

I don't actually need those features anyway, and there is no clear evidence that M$ will release new major windows versions anyway, so it may be a good time to move to Linux.

And yes, I definitely don't use iOS or such walled garden software or hardware. But Intel pulling support for BIOS is definitely bullshit that prevents me from using Win7 for the fear of it to suddenly becoming unbootable after I get a new CPU at some time.

The new UI design is really ugly in Win8 and Win10, on Win7 it was much nicer, and there was no unnecessary features or anything that would prevent me from doing work fast and smooth.

@Man of Doom, Win10 FCU slowed the whole startup process.

It takes more longer to start Win10 than Win7 in the normal way. You will keep seeing that black void for a long time before the desktop even displays.

Edited by Cacodemon345