Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Doors and lifts moving at unusual speeds

What are your thoughts on unusual speeds for doors and lifts? Boom introduced a couple, and in ZDoom you can experiment with them even more, but personally I just can't get excited about these possibilities. Whenever I see something moving at a "wrong" speed it gives me a weird feeling like "hey, this is not natural". So at best I can use them for a monster closet where it's not visible to the player. But I don't want any of that stuff in plain sight.

You seem to have an unmatched willingness to seek out all the oddly specific things in this game that someone could feel negatively about.

I didn't realize this is funny. IMO it's similar to medikits having rotation sprites or weapon animations featuring more frames, for example. Everything in Doom has a certain established feel and tempo already, and messing with it is dangerous. It's like shooting a movie in 60 fps when everyone is used to 24. There is a risk that the audience will find it odd.

I feel this too, but not too strongly. I prefer using default speeds unless I need significantly higher or lower speeds, otherwise I use the latter, in plain sight or not.

On 12/23/2017 at 8:02 PM, Ribbiks said:

You seem to have an unmatched willingness to seek out all the oddly specific things in this game that someone could feel negatively about.

Well, you need only to look at his custom title to realize something like that's about.

Don't like fast lifts? Going down too fast turns your stomach? Elevator music is your favourite genre? "Experiencing Nirvana" has just the right kinda map for you!