læmænt

Should weed be legalised?

Should weed be legalised?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should weed be legalised?

• Yes
    • No

elbryan42 said:

I don't understand how smokers could be so oblivious or just not care that they're pissing people off everywhere they go.

If they're stupid enough to be smokers in the first place then it isnt so unbelievable.

Hell yes.

I wrote an essay about this for civics last year, and in doing so I realized there is absolutely no reason why it should be illegal.

Shaviro said:

Bah. If you need alchohol to have fun, you're boring.

Why, why, why do you people alweys jump to the conclusion people that smoke weed and drink alcohol can't have fun any other way? The assumption just pisses me off.

orion said:

being high still allows you to do most things such as driving a car

Yeah, if you're a complete selfish bastard who doesn't mind killing other people. Are you telling me you can smoke a joint and not have your reflexes and reactions affected. I know I certainly can't.

Russell_P said:

Yeah, if you're a complete selfish bastard who doesn't mind killing other people. Are you telling me you can smoke a joint and not have your reflexes and reactions affected. I know I certainly can't.

I know for a fact I could drive high without the slightest problem. I done just about anything else high and the results aren't any different then what I would have done while being sober. About half the time I ever been high I was in a car with a driver just as stoned as me. We never, ever got a ticket, never caused any traffic problems, or got in any accidents. If anything those bastards drive better while high.

So watch who you call a selfish bastard next time.

I do watch who i call a selfish bastard, that is to say that i don't use the phrase at the drop of a hat. If you drive whilst under the influence, then yes i consider you to be a selfish bastard. The fact that you haven't been in any accidents just means that you've been lucky so far. Again I ask if you can honestly say that you can smoke a joint and it have no effect whatsoever on your reactions and reflexes.

Russell_P said:

Again I ask if you can honestly say that you can smoke a joint and it have no effect whatsoever on your reactions and reflexes.

Yes, I can honestly say that, I stopped getting the mind high long long ago, all I feel on weed these days is just a good body feeling. It's not dreamy like it used to be. My reflexes are just fine, only difference is that you don't feel like rushing anywhere. I'm being honest when I say they drive more cautiously, they definatly drive slower and watch out more. You can look this up online, I've seen a lot of sites that say that even though in some people the respnce time may increase the extra caution you have while driving keeps you from getting in any accidents.

orion said:

Look, the majority of people like alcohol, and like to have fun while on it. Living day in and day out your same sober self got boring to me, and most other people back in the early teens. I don't really care if it's damaging, sometimes a little experimenting in your life is a lot more beneficial than a few brain cells you lose.

This is true, I can say, being on the other end of the spectrum. All throughout Jr. High and high school, I decided to be a purist, not stooping down to the levels of my peers. All this did was alienate me and turn me into a deprived recluse. Now I have no hookups and I try to look for excitement in more psycologicaly damaging ways. I've been starving myself, depriving myself of sleep, cutting myself with exacto knives, drinking mass quantaties of cafine, I even tried drinking vanilla extract once. And probably the most damaging thing to date I've done is start bitching to everyone, thus losing all my close friends. I just came to this realization this morning (or was that the afternoon...I don't know anymore) when I woke up feeling like I have a severe cold. I probably completely fucked up my immune system with the shit I've been pulling. Now I just feel like dieing.

So you heard it from me kids, don't skimp out on the fun things in life that you could be doing while you are young, or you will end up like me.

I really don't have an opinion on this. I guess it's because it's loose loose anyway. If it's legalized, then everyone will be high. If it remains illegal, jails will still be filled with stupid kids and drug dealers.

mara nah leshk tanet, toris anuade-kess forett. nammen area nah kettishk.

bring the poison to your soul, and watch as anuade-kess eats it whole. fall to a living hell.

that is the world of my ancestors, in silocrat, it warns of poisoning the mind and of the caos it brings. the only thing we did, and that was at a celebration was drink. anything else was bad and called the corruptor of the soul.

weed should not be leagal. makeing it legal would NOT reduce crime, (well possetion of wee would go down 100%)
weed does currupt the mind and heart, i dont see why u americans need to be high to have a good time. it sickens me to see that so many support the use of this and other drugs. i hate to see people think it is ok to use this and others. if drugs start becomeing legal i pray for the destruction of our people. I guess i am the last who opposes it.

oh and YOU are a moron, a murderer, a slave dealer, a curroptor, a demon, my most hated enemy if u vote yes. I have seen what drugs do and it is not remotly worth it to even try them. by the time u realize that it is too late,

orion said:

Why, why, why do you people alweys jump to the conclusion people that smoke weed and drink alcohol can't have fun any other way?

NOBODY IS MAKING ANY ASSUMPTIONS. The statement is that people who DO need alcohol/recreational-drugs to have fun are: fill in the blank. If you pay attention, it's as clear as shweppes that nobody made such a ridiculous assumption.

Wow. Such well-thought-out and reasonable arguements. I'm real impressed with you mugs. Really.

lament spells it out:
If you are a retard, vote "no"

Good job, lament. Way to get the ball rolling.

elbrian just wet 'em:
No it shouldn't be legalized. I read in the paper that Ottawa just legalized it and I nearly shit my pants. They should have banned smoking altogether. Fucking disgusting.

Oh yeah, Ottawa is teh evil. Don't so what Ottawa does.

Russel_p sez:

Speaking from experience?

Sephiroth preached:
oh and YOU are a moron, a murderer, a slave dealer, a curroptor, a demon, my most hated enemy if u vote yes.

But he means that in the best way.

I have seen what drugs do and it is not remotly worth it to even try them. by the time u realize that it is too late,

Sadly, it was too late to finish this thought.

Woolie Wool wooled us all:
NO! NO! NO!

So... is that a 'no'? And why?

IMJack said:

Speaking from experience?

DUH! Yes I am, I thought that was obvious. I smoke and i'm honest enough to realise and admit that it does effect reactions, etc. Which is why I don't do things such as drive after smoking.

Wow...I see we have a few main catigories of people. Here's one i hate:

"NO!!! Drugs are bad! Any who needs drugs is stupid."

-The fiercely anti-drug. Aside from the fact that they use only repetition, buzzwords and vague terms in their arguments, they generally have no bloody clue what they're talking about. I personally won't touch hard drugs with a ten foot bong, but i'm ok with cannibus. The, "Drugs are bad" talk is just generalized stuff that they parrot from the police (Who don't want to see weed legalized because it'd take away an easy quota-filler, not to mention jobs.) These fanatics won't stop until they learn a few things about the plant, and maybe even take a few tokes.

...I used to be one, my most trusted friends as well. I'm positive that these people will never cease to exist as long as there are cops with a profit to make on weed busts.

Just try to learn a few unbiased things on your own - make it your own little research project. You might even learn something. I really don't know exactly what THC does to your brain, but even some of the brightest people i know smoke it and still make excellent grades in school. I can't speak on behalf of driving while high though, other than that i've been in a car with people as high as i am and they seem to do just fine.

You know, there is plenty of educated people that have a clue and think marijuana should remain illegal.

Fredrik said:

You know, there is plenty of educated people that have a clue and think marijuana should remain illegal.

That doesn't stop them from being wrong.

Fredrik said:

There are plenty of educated people who honestly believe Weekly World News is 100% real.

And yes, these people are 100% wrong. Anyone who thinks marijuana use will drastically go up after legalization is an idiot. Honest-to-life, no two ways around it ignoramus. The logic these people use for anti-legalization arguments are the most outrageous and shoddy I've ever seen.

Look at what happened when prohibition was repealed. End of story.

AndrewB said:

And yes, these people are 100% wrong. Anyone who thinks marijuana use will drastically go up after legalization is an idiot. Look at what happened when prohibition was repealed. End of story.

Both availability and use would certainly increase as experience showed in Sweden in the 1970s and Alaska in the 1990s; both countries rescinded their experiment and law relaxation because of the resulting problems. Australia is currently experiencing severe problems because of law relaxation—according to figures from the Federal Government every second person arrested in Australia is under the influence of marijuana. Between 1973 and 1978 marijuana was decriminalised by 12 states in the USA—all regression specifications confirm that the decriminalised cities experienced a statistically significant increase in marijuana mentions in hospital emergency room drug episodes.

The best example is of course the Netherlands. As the "coffee shops" boomed between 1984 and 1996 use by Dutch youth between 18-25 increased by over 200 per cent and there was a concurrent 25 per cent increase in registered cannabis addicts registering for treatment. A recent study by Pieter Cohen of the University of Amsterdam claimed use throughout Holland had decreased—unfortunately the survey also discovered increased use amongst the young in densely populated areas such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam. In the last few years in these same areas there has been a huge growth in juvenile crime and acts of violence. Amsterdam Police Commissioner Jelle Kuiper declared "As long as our political class tries to pretend that soft drugs do not create dependence, we are going to go on being confronted daily with problems that officially do not exist". His counterpart in The Hague said, "65 per cent of the persistent rise we are seeing in criminality is due to juvenile drug users". The Dutch Minister of Justice was quoted in the Wall Street Journal in 1990 describing Holland as "the most crime prone nation in Europe".
Anyone who thinks marijuana use will drastically go down or not change after legalization is an idiot. Honest-to-life, no two ways around it ignoramus.
Dealers, from disaffected youth selling to friends to narco-terrorists, are not going to give up their lucrative businesses because drug laws are relaxed. They will undercut legal supplies, sell stronger substances or supply to minors. Burglary rates in Holland are three times higher than in Switzerland or the USA, four times than France and 50 per cent higher than in Germany. In Moscow drug-related crime increased 6.7 times between 1995-2000. In the USA 65 per cent of those charged with a drug offence during 1999 had been arrested previously—28 per cent had five or more prior arrests. An Italian study by Confcommercio claimed that one in three coffee bars in Northern Italy is under the control of organised crime. "Coffee shops"—in Holland are supplied by the Mafia.

Way to go, Captain Propoganda.

Anyway, the 2-year study recently completed by the Canadian Senate panel finds quite the opposite of what you just have. They're a group of professionals relying on actual logical stydies. Thay're also probably a lot smarter than you.

Even if usage did go up after legalization (and there's reason to believe it won't), that doesn't even begin to justify the prohibition of the plant.

And yes, these people are 100% wrong.
Anyone who thinks marijuana use will drastically go down or not change after legalization is an idiot. Honest-to-life, no two ways around it ignoramus.

Is there an echo in here?

fodders happily cribbed from some anonymous document:
Dealers, from disaffected youth selling to friends to narco-terrorists, are not going to give up their lucrative businesses because drug laws are relaxed. They will undercut legal supplies, sell stronger substances or supply to minors.

And why do I hear nothing about narco-terrorists selling potent black-market tobacco to kids to fund their wars? It sounds like a lucrative business. Especially in states that are unusually tight-assed about tobacco, like Utah.

The mark up price would make it unprofitable

IMJack said:

Is there an echo in here?

And why do I hear nothing about narco-terrorists selling potent black-market tobacco to kids to fund their wars? It sounds like a lucrative business. Especially in states that are unusually tight-assed about tobacco, like Utah.

The anonymous document is from the British gov, Parliament select commitee hardly a body that knows nothing.

Jeez. You're copying and pasting everything you say from a corrupt propoganda site, one that is spilling over with blatant lies. I've lost any little bit of respect I ever had for you.

fodders said:

The mark up price would make it unprofitable

Undercut. Tobacco is already godlessly expensive, between Big T's monopoly and federal tobacco taxes. If people heard you could get somewhat cheaper cigs without having to be carded and suspected by a zit-faced little pischer at the grocery store (such as myself), they'd take advantage of it. The terrs sell what they can for a short period and get the hell out of Dodge before the Feds find out. If they can score stolen tobacco to boot, that's 100% profit.

The anonymous document is from the British gov, Parliament select commitee hardly a body that knows nothing.

I never accused your source of knowing nothing. I just want to know what your source is when you quote it.

Wow...this is really tearing us apart. Who'd have thought that there'd be so much contoversy over this issue...and for once i have AndrewB on my side. Maybe it's because i'm dangerously tired right now, but i feel that you should be a little more submissive to fod...he seems to be a nice guy who deserves a bit more than no respect.

God i'm tired...it's a thick, hazy mental fatigue. It's actually kinda fun though. Come to think about it, i feel stoned right now.

...maybe i'll click on some stuff