Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

Problems with switch activation

I'm mapping for vanilla Doom 2 using the stock Iwad textures. I'm using Eureka v. 1.21 on a Mac.

I'm in the process of creating a short map and I've run into some problems with some of my switches. They all seem to be similar, so I'm hoping that there's a relatively straightforward solution. Any help would be much appreciated.

• I have a set of five switches that are supposed to open a series of doors, and all four are set to Type 103 (S1 Open and Stay). All four of them work, in that they open the doors they're supposed to open, but only 1 of the five actually visually activates when I press it.

• There are another set of four switches that are set to Type 7 (Stair Raise 8). All four of them work, but they only activate when I'm oriented in a rather specific way toward them. In other words, I can't just walk up to them and press them. I have to be angled toward them at the edge of the texture. Then they do their thing.

• Similarly, there is another switch that is supposed to raise a floor by 32, which it does, but only if I stand at a particular angle. And then, it doesn't visually activate. I only know it's working because the floor goes up.

The walkover switches in my level all work fine, as does the Exit switch.

What could be the problem causing these switch activation issues?

EDIT: I correct problem 2, by increasing the spacing between the lined tagged with the switch and some linedefs around it. That seemed to solve that problem in that now they activate fine at any position, even as I run past them. The same fix took care of the activation part of problem 3, but it still doesn't visually activate.

Edited by Pegleg : Added bullets and edit regarding correction.

For a switch to visually activate you need to make sure that you're using a switch texture (the SW1 and SW2 series) and that you don't have more than one switch texture on that line (you shouldn't have switch textures on both upper and lower parts, for example).

Your problem with pressing switches was probably caused by the fact that you can't activate a trigger line through another trigger line. Trigger lines tend to "eat" your presses, even if they have nothing to do with pressing (a teleporter line will "eat" them too).

53 minutes ago, Memfis said:

you don't have more than one switch texture on that line

To add to this, Eureka is known to be particularly problematic with duplicating switch textures on the three layers of the side.

Furthermore, complicating the issue, the switch position priority order differs between traditional engines and the ZDoom family.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

For a switch to visually activate you need to make sure that you're using a switch texture (the SW1 and SW2 series) and that you don't have more than one switch texture on that line (you shouldn't have switch textures on both upper and lower parts, for example).

Your problem with pressing switches was probably caused by the fact that you can't activate a trigger line through another trigger line. Trigger lines tend to "eat" your presses, even if they have nothing to do with pressing (a teleporter line will "eat" them too).

50 minutes ago, RjY said:

To add to this, Eureka is known to be particularly problematic with duplicating switch textures on the three layers of the side.

Furthermore, complicating the issue, the switch position priority order differs between traditional engines and the ZDoom family.

Yes, that was it. The problem was with switch textures on both the upper and lower flats. I changed the lower flat textures and that took care of the problems.

That fixed my problem and I learned something in the process. Thank you both!

Happy Holidays everyone!

On 12/24/2017 at 0:27 PM, RjY said:

This wouldn't be much of an issue if it let you view all 3 textures of a 1 sided line, but it doesn't :/ Imo this is something @andrewj needs to work on. For now I just work around it by setting my switches up as midtexes on 2 sided lines but obviously that's not ideal

On 12/26/2017 at 9:17 PM, therektafire said:

This wouldn't be much of an issue if it let you view all 3 textures of a 1 sided line, but it doesn't :/ Imo this is something @andrewj needs to work on. For now I just work around it by setting my switches up as midtexes on 2 sided lines but obviously that's not ideal

FYI, the latest version of Eureka (v. 1.27 and 1.27b) allows you to view all 3 textures of a 1 sided line. I don't know if version 1.24 allowed you to do it, I never checked. But I know versions 1.27 and 1.27b allow you to view all 3 textures (and yes, Eureka, by default, populates all 3 slots, even on a 1-sided linedef).