Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M318J

Flaws in Doom 16'

I dont know man, i feel like they watched gameplay of the original Dooms, but never actually played and finished any of the two, the difference of gameplay style is just too big, it does feel like they played Brutal Doom though (dumb mod that is amusing for like 15 minutes and that is it). And in regards to Doom 3 i mean in the aesthetic sense, if they even put the Hellknights from that game in D16, and the sterile looking facilities also remind me a lot of D3, overall it feels like a blend of BD, D3, the Doom comic book and Quake with some Modern Warfare hand holding spoon feeding BS in it.

6 hours ago, D88M said:

I dont know man, i feel like they watched gameplay of the original Dooms, but never actually played and finished any of the two, the difference of gameplay style is just too big, it does feel like they played Brutal Doom though (dumb mod that is amusing for like 15 minutes and that is it). And in regards to Doom 3 i mean in the aesthetic sense, if they even put the Hellknights from that game in D16, and the sterile looking facilities also remind me a lot of D3, overall it feels like a blend of BD, D3, the Doom comic book and Quake with some Modern Warfare hand holding spoon feeding BS in it.

Arg your opinions trigger me a little. You really don't seem to have much appreciation of Doom 2016 and BD. Two things I enjoy very much.

Β 

It's totally in your right of course. But it's a real shame to hear this from a Doom fan. Both Doom 2016 and yes even BD has lots of love and time put into them. You may not enjoy them but you seem to actually diss them regardless of quality.

Β 

Oh well. Hopefully Doom Eternal can appease both our tastes.

I don't know how much of the originals they played, but they certainly didn't take much inspiration from them. The intricate level design, labyrinthine maps, unique combat scenarios, survival elements, and occasional jump scares are all gone. Doom '16 seems to be inspired more by, yes, Brutal Doom and the comics, like @D88M said, but also by a certain vocal group of fans who kept saying Doom was about kick-ass power fantasies, which I think was a result of a) Brutal Doom taking over the popular imagination of what Doom is and b) an overreaction to Doom 3 and its direction.

Edited by TheGamePhilosophe

Both D88M and TheGamerPhilosophe's comments ring true to me. I share a love of BD, but think that it was over-implemented in D'16. IMHO the single greatest flaw of D'16, beyond the idiot-proof "look here" glowy lights on everything, was the checkpoint save system that told you the moment you were safe and the moment that changed. In the originals, you needed to keep an ear out for a stray monster that had been let loose in another part of the map. D'16 is by no means a bad game. Far from it, it's grown on me a helluva lot. But it's just another wave-based arena shooter. I truly hope that this is done away with in Doom Eternal. Either let us save as we think fit or do away with saves altogether (other than 'start of the level' ones, of course). Then they can keep their waves and arenas and we will be none the wiser to when we're safe anyway. That will go a looooooong way to restoring that sense of dread instilled by the originals.

15 hours ago, Chezza said:

Arg your opinions trigger me a little. You really don't seem to have much appreciation of Doom 2016 and BD. Two things I enjoy very much.

Β 

It's totally in your right of course. But it's a real shame to hear this from a Doom fan. Both Doom 2016 and yes even BD has lots of love and time put into them. You may not enjoy them but you seem to actually diss them regardless of quality.

Β 

Oh well. Hopefully Doom Eternal can appease both our tastes.

Sorry, i try to express myself (english is not my first language by the way) as peaceful as possible, i liked D16, is a good game and i liked several things about it, specially if you compare it with the dumbed down hallway shooters we got since Modern Warfare became sucessful, but it just did not felt very "Doom" to me and i am not dying to replay it, i mean there is a reason why more than 20 years after the original games were launched that we still play them and talk about them, i doubt we will be talking as much of D16 in like 5 years.Β 

In regards to BD, i dont mean to trigger you, but it felt like a 15Β year old played the original games, did not understood them,Β thought to himself "this is dumb, i can make it better" and just throwed as much gore in it as it could, i played it once and thought it was funny and then i never touched it again, it feels very juvenile and aggresive with stuff like the taunts, it just did not clicked with me, but certainly a lot of effort went into it and i can respect that.

I am sure that Doom Eternal will be even better than D16, i am looking forward to it actually, dont get me wrong, is just that this is a thread for flaws and i wanted to express my opinion, i should play it again but i dont think it will help honestly lol.

The community here is very nice by the way, it has "good vibes" so to speak.

I have felt that the platforming in the Doom games has been the least appealing aspect to me. Doom 2016 actually improves it. But part of the improvement is the double jump which I feel is contrived. I am glad they didn't introduce mid-air dash (which seems like a requirement for every indy game). But the games are so fun that I guess platforming is only minor in comparison.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:59 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

The arena fights become a little repetitive after a while. When you get locked into a room with ever spawning enemies for the 50th time, you're rolling your eyes more than anything else. Still had a blast but it made things a bit too predictable.

For me, they only got repetitive at the end levels, especially the last mission, fighting in this huge area with a shit-ton of Demons (3 times) but it stopped when I got a Berserk power up.