• E1M8: Phobos Anomaly
    • E1M9: Military Base
    • E1 Rules! I love all the maps!
    • E1 sucks!

I think I can sort the maps into three levels of quality:

Ultra-Godly: E1M3, E1M5, E1M6, E1M7
Super-Neat: E1M1, E1M2, E1M4, E1M8
Oddlame: E1M9

So how come E1M9 sucks in comparison to other levels? It was the perfect oppurtunity for id to show off their super-1337 E1 secret level, and they completely blew the whole level.

DooMBoy said:

So how come E1M9 sucks in comparison to other levels? It was the perfect oppurtunity for id to show off their super-1337 E1 secret level, and they completely blew the whole level.

Too boring and symmetric, maybe!?

E1M9

• ... has a completely predictable, symmetrical layout
  • ... is visually a disaster. Sure, it is the only level in Doom's EP1 that uses smooth lighting (or am I wrong about that one?), but it still has no real architecture
  • ... doesn't have enough secret areas
  • ... is OK otherwise.

boris said:

E1M13

The ultra-secret level? :)

E1M9 seemed really difficult at the time compared with the rest of E1. Perhaps id thought that would be enough to see it through. I didn't think it was such a bad map, but overall I'm not the world's greatest E1 enthusiast anyway.

Didn't hesitate to choose the whole episode. It's really great in my mind. To think it's among the 1st things done for the game; but Tom Hall and John Romero found a great style for it. I did choose e1m7 as my fave DOOM (1) map someplace else, but just because I made myself decide, nearly all the maps are equally good.

E1M4 is THE perfect E1 speedrunning level. Other than that, it's still a good level in its own right.

IMHO E1M4 strays too far from the style and general coolness of the other E1 levels. It's too square, it doesn't use the texture properly, etc, etc. Probably because it wasn't made by Romero ;)

It was a toss up between the toxin refinary and the Phobos Anomolay. Toxin Refinery has cool secrets and such and is really fun to play, but you can't beat the feeling you had the first time you played E1M8.

I see no one voted e1m9 or e1m6 yet. I like those, actually. Whay don't some people like e1m9? The symmetry? It's not bad IMO, it's practically the only map with that kind of design, a central area and an overall wheel like shape. It can be pretty rough charging through it fast with maxkills in mind. The music helps me like it some more too. Could it be that Romero thought this one out as a DM map? It's not too big and the rooms are interconnected (more so in DM with no need of keys.)

E1m6's sprawling intricate design must have some admirers, and it's also a great challenge to play (relatively speaking, of course.) The music is a bit loud, may that be a turn-off?

e1m5, which is getting quite a few votes, is indeed special. I can never decide what size the map is, it's not small, neither is it large. That makes it a good SP map, but also one of the (not many) good DOOM DM maps. Plus it looks great and has the moody "Suspense" with those eerie calling tunes as music, not to mention the first teleporter in the game!

myk said:

I see no one voted e1m9 or e1m6 yet. I like those, actually. Whay don't some people like e1m9? The symmetry? It's not bad IMO, it's practically the only map with that kind of design, a central area and an overall wheel like shape. It can be pretty rough charging through it fast with maxkills in mind. The music helps me like it some more too. Could it be that Romero thought this one out as a DM map? It's not too big and the rooms are interconnected (more so in DM with no need of keys.)

E1m6's sprawling intricate design must have some admirers, and it's also a great challenge to play (relatively speaking, of course.) The music is a bit loud, may that be a turn-off?

Yo. I'm here. E1M6 rocks. I love it about as much as I do E1M5. Which is easily the creepiest of the levels. With that dark music and dim lights.

I remember the scariest thing I've ever seen in Doom I first played when I couldn't succeed the mission through the yellow room of E1M5 every time while I was running shareware version on win 3.1 playing with keys only. Next, E1M6 was the first entirely scary level amongst all Doom E1 lvls to me.

NiGHTMARE said:

IMHO E1M4 strays too far from the style and general coolness of the other E1 levels. It's too square, it doesn't use the texture properly, etc, etc. Probably because it wasn't made by Romero ;)

To me, it feels like E1 has two parts - a mystical but light first part (E1M1-E1M3) and a darker part where things get serious (E1M5-E1M8). E1M4 is to me like an intermission level.

I voted E1M3

E1M3, E1M5, E1M6 and E1M7 stand above the rest as some ppl already pointed out.

how do you choose from great classics? each and every one had its own style, albet all roughly the same idea. well except for E1M1, wasn't too favorable. small- OK weak- eh. design-eerk. CH Retro E1M1 looks IMO way better.

no real pick 'xcept for all, you cannot replace that feeling you got when you first played shareware DOOM, impossible to recreate because you only feel that feeling once, then you can only catch glimpses of ith pass you by when the future runs up to your face and whacks you with fish. (im ranting now, feel free to ignore me now)