Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Which features do you miss in Windows Vista and later?

37 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

and now they removed MS Paint.

I read about that, but then I got a new laptop and there it was. 

I don't think they've removed it, I think they're just pushing Paint 3D (which can be turned off with a simple Registry edit).

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

They started fucking up with it since Windows Vista, and now they removed MS Paint.

How more specifically, give some examples.

25 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I read about that, but then I got a new laptop and there it was. 

I've read some articles about this as well, but it's not removed right now.

25 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

How more specifically, give some examples.

They removed a huge chunk of features in Windows Vista like, the ability to run DOS apps in fullscreen etc.

It is completely unusable in Win8+ due to M$ removing XDDM support.

They also fucked with update mechanism, now keepin' on cluttering disk space.

Edited by Cacodemon345

The only true gripe I had was the 'improvements' to windows's Paint. older copies of paint were so much better for 'authentic' pixel art; the new one anti-aliases and has loads of features that are commonly considered 'not ok' by pixel artists. It also made colour management much worse too. But hey, a simple download away is a backup of paint.exe from WinXP, so that's easy enough to solve. :)

28 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

They removed a huge chunk of features in Windows Vista like, the ability to run DOS apps in fullscreen etc.

It is completely unusable in Win8+ due to M$ removing XDDM support.

People really still need that? You have to accept that time moves on. We now use 64 bit systems which are incompatible with DOS on a more fundamental level.

Just be lucky that Microsoft isn't Apple. With them it's a gamble to run 5 year old software - that's how fast they deprecate old functionality!

Does Mac even HAVE good native MIDI playback support? All I can go by here is that no Doom port I know of implements it.

2 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Did Microsoft use the Wolf3D engine to program that screensaver? 

Please forgive the Wall of text....

It is not that they have had 30 years to perfect this OS into something worse than the earlier versions.  It is not that there are still outstanding systemic-level issues with Windows as an operating system.   I fully understand that the power of Windows is its dynamic usefulness -- and that means some inconsistencies and compromises.  
The thing that gets me is that they fu#$&##% designed this crap for themselves to use! WTFF?!
And why isn't there an administrator-version of Windows?  People are idiots.

This isn't an exhaustive list or anything, these are just issues I have personally run into.

Things removed:
correct UI management -- One simple example(although there are many more complicated ones) is if you add a file to an open directory in WindowsExplorer, it will interactively instantly auto-sort(instead of being listed at the bottom as it should be)
correct UI control  (since the UI constantly refreshes, it often "highlights" a different object than what you were using as a user -- this is infinitely annoying) (another simple example of what I'm talking about is in WindowsExplorer, if you open a folder, then select a file, sometimes the action you choose will be enacted on the FOLDER and not the file)
The built-in defragmenter has no output and the world's worst interface. Lame!
UI refresh doesn't work -- if you run a program that changes the files in the directory you are in, it doesn't update the UI, because the user didn't do it.  WTF?  
I cannot burn a CD in any post-WinXP computer that can be read in my CD player.  You could blame this on the software or the hardware manufacturer, but it still doesn't work with the WindowsOS-built-in CD burning software.  Yes, I have to burn it on Windows98 for it to work.
Reliable file copy -- If you have a folder of files and some of them cannot be read; if you copy them in windows, it will only copy the ones it can read.  It doesn't tell you it failed to copy them all.  Similarly, since zip is corrupt(that is, zip 2.0 cannot read beyond a null character if your file has a terminating null, when you zip it, it will have dataloss because it truncates the file at the null.)  If you copy a file with such an character into a windows compressed folder, it will have dataloss. yay for windows!
Also, if you attempt to copy 1Tb of files over 0.9Tb of files that are duplicates, if there isn't 1Tb of extra space on the drive, Windows7 will refuse to copy them.  There is no force copy.  Ahh, maybe robocopy or xcopy has a force.  There is no force in WindowsExplorer, let's just say that.
NT Bootloader -- This is one of those things where it tries to help, but just causes problems.  If you boot a Windows7 computer with another active Windows7-loaded OS drive in the computer it cannot boot!  WTF!
Additionally, and this occurs with windowsXP as well, if you boot a Windows partition with another Windows partition on another drive, it will use both and f$*& up your install.    Idiots!
A reasonable end-user EULA.  

Things I can't stand that were added:
My number one complaint is the folder customization // autodiscovery.  Oh, god, that is so annoying.  There is no permanent fix either.
Aeropeek
tying html files with html subdirectory.  ugh.  stupid shells.
no command-line switches or actual program help
auto arranging or spreading open windows.  never useful.
windows functions cannot use files with non-standard date stamps.
the design control where the computer is more important than the user // the user is no longer admin-level powerful (this is also true on more current Mac and Linux OSs too)
lack of UI control CPU interrupt(although I understand it from a reliability standpoint)  (this is where you type or do instructions that the computer is too busy to acknowledge)
zip 2.0 compressed folder management
USB and Bluetooth use shared resources (this is perhaps not a Windows issue but a standards issue)
Having InternetExplorer embedded in the OS was useful back in the older days because browsers would potentially crash due to memory limitations.  IE would be more useful in the 90s because of this.  Nowadays, it is nothing but a security hole.  I suppose that is why they made Edge.
UAC protected directories cannot be disabled without disabling all security on the computer.

Windows Search is clunky and requires indexing.(although, it can search for special characters where earlier Win OSs couldn't)
Windows Notifications  (and programs that use the Windows Notification service that cannot be managed through the WNS will popup anyway)
Windows services that require 7 other services to be running
Recycle Bin management
Windows Temp directory management is flawed.

Those darn taskbar icons move.  I go to click on a task on the taskbar, and as I click the icon moves under my mouse and I click a different program.
And yes, I know you can pin and unpin your icons in order, but we’re talking a lot of icons and I’m not setting it up every time I want to use my computer…. that would be like organizing your refrigerator every time you want to get something out.  In Microsoft’s defense, many of my many, oh so so so many, windows7 complaints are also ever-present in Mac and Linux OSs now.  Oh the bleeding inhumanity of it all!   I got Fedora21 recently and I couldn’t reformat that crap off my computer fast enough.  I miss redhat in the pre-
RHEL/Fedora days…  back when linux was a man’s OS and not crap.
The only thing worse than Windows7’s issues would be an OS that uses tiles with a touch-screen instead of a taskbar.  Imagine how bad THAT would be!

I dropped a USB drive once and I plugged it into Windows7 to scan it for issues.  If you tell it to NOT fix anything, it does anyway. sigh.  It had a good report, but still should be more detailed IMHO.  The report says it deleted a bunch of my files because “Windows cannot use those”.  sigh.  Thanks.  At least it told me, I guess.
Similarly, if you scan the drive and there are errors, when it fixes them, it just deletes your data.  “You may need to restore from backup because we had to delete some of your files.”  No report, no list of what files were deleted.  Smooth.
It’s the “You can reach the internet, so your computer is 100% healthy!”-type of thinking.
I guess I should be happy the drive still worked.

Microsoft forced pre-preparing and advertisement updates for Windows7/8 to upgrade to Windows10.  These were automatically retrieving data from Windows7/8 computers without
knowledge from the owners.  As I said before, I mostly trust Microsoft to not play too dirty, but their EULAs for WindowsVista and later make it difficult to trust them.  They don’t seem to understand that holes in your computer’s security are easily exploited by any other program on your computer.  Thus, steam or origin or mcafee can use(or worse, manipulate or cull their own data) Microsoft’s exploit method. WindowsXP and higher, you can hide users or directories/files.  Even an average hacker could compromise your computer and you'd never know it.  Microsoft-ers might say “you don’t know that they are doing something wrong or sending non-OS information”.  And that is exactly my problem. I don’t know.
I expect they will soon require internet activation for Windows.  I won't be doing that.

A couple positive notes:
Windows is still easily the most useful OS.  I prefer WindowsXP and Windows98 over the current ones.
Other than support for newer hardware, there is only one feature that is better in windows7 than WindowsXP.  That feature is the merging of file-folders when you move directories; although that still has the uppercase/lowercase same-filename issue that all windows OSs have.
I do like InternetExplorer's configurable security settings -- although this shouldn't be managing your OS security as well!
I like that Windows7 has the international character/language sets built-in.
NTFS is still flexible to not set its standard of compatibility to match the limited Windows.
Windows NT-kernel shutdown script -- I can force a computer shutdown.  This is very nice, I use it nearly everytime I shutdown a computer(which is several times a day).
Microsoft has repeatedly fought the US government against more insidious data tracking embedded in their OS.

26 minutes ago, royaldj said:

Probably. This and Wolf3D use the same outdated plane drawing technique to draw the environment (as everything 3D did back then), and they both use single plane camera following sprites for enemies/objects.

6 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

In Win8 I miss that button from Vista that minimized all windows

You mean the one at the bottom right?  They made it much smaller, but it's still there.

I miss the old Windows Classic theme, which was the ideal hybrid of flat and skeuomorphic design that was all business and no fuss.

8 hours ago, Opulent said:

Please forgive the Wall of text....

It is not that they have had 30 years to perfect this OS into something worse than the earlier versions.  It is not that there are still outstanding systemic-level issues with Windows as an operating system.   I fully understand that the power of Windows is its dynamic usefulness -- and that means some inconsistencies and compromises.  
The thing that gets me is that they fu#$&##% designed this crap for themselves to use! WTFF?!
And why isn't there an administrator-version of Windows?  People are idiots.

This isn't an exhaustive list or anything, these are just issues I have personally run into.

Things removed:
correct UI management -- One simple example(although there are many more complicated ones) is if you add a file to an open directory in WindowsExplorer, it will interactively instantly auto-sort(instead of being listed at the bottom as it should be)
correct UI control  (since the UI constantly refreshes, it often "highlights" a different object than what you were using as a user -- this is infinitely annoying) (another simple example of what I'm talking about is in WindowsExplorer, if you open a folder, then select a file, sometimes the action you choose will be enacted on the FOLDER and not the file)
The built-in defragmenter has no output and the world's worst interface. Lame!
UI refresh doesn't work -- if you run a program that changes the files in the directory you are in, it doesn't update the UI, because the user didn't do it.  WTF?  
I cannot burn a CD in any post-WinXP computer that can be read in my CD player.  You could blame this on the software or the hardware manufacturer, but it still doesn't work with the WindowsOS-built-in CD burning software.  Yes, I have to burn it on Windows98 for it to work.
Reliable file copy -- If you have a folder of files and some of them cannot be read; if you copy them in windows, it will only copy the ones it can read.  It doesn't tell you it failed to copy them all.  Similarly, since zip is corrupt(that is, zip 2.0 cannot read beyond a null character if your file has a terminating null, when you zip it, it will have dataloss because it truncates the file at the null.)  If you copy a file with such an character into a windows compressed folder, it will have dataloss. yay for windows!
Also, if you attempt to copy 1Tb of files over 0.9Tb of files that are duplicates, if there isn't 1Tb of extra space on the drive, Windows7 will refuse to copy them.  There is no force copy.  Ahh, maybe robocopy or xcopy has a force.  There is no force in WindowsExplorer, let's just say that.
NT Bootloader -- This is one of those things where it tries to help, but just causes problems.  If you boot a Windows7 computer with another active Windows7-loaded OS drive in the computer it cannot boot!  WTF!
Additionally, and this occurs with windowsXP as well, if you boot a Windows partition with another Windows partition on another drive, it will use both and f$*& up your install.    Idiots!
A reasonable end-user EULA.  

Things I can't stand that were added:
My number one complaint is the folder customization // autodiscovery.  Oh, god, that is so annoying.  There is no permanent fix either.
Aeropeek
tying html files with html subdirectory.  ugh.  stupid shells.
no command-line switches or actual program help
auto arranging or spreading open windows.  never useful.
windows functions cannot use files with non-standard date stamps.
the design control where the computer is more important than the user // the user is no longer admin-level powerful (this is also true on more current Mac and Linux OSs too)
lack of UI control CPU interrupt(although I understand it from a reliability standpoint)  (this is where you type or do instructions that the computer is too busy to acknowledge)
zip 2.0 compressed folder management
USB and Bluetooth use shared resources (this is perhaps not a Windows issue but a standards issue)
Having InternetExplorer embedded in the OS was useful back in the older days because browsers would potentially crash due to memory limitations.  IE would be more useful in the 90s because of this.  Nowadays, it is nothing but a security hole.  I suppose that is why they made Edge.
UAC protected directories cannot be disabled without disabling all security on the computer.

Windows Search is clunky and requires indexing.(although, it can search for special characters where earlier Win OSs couldn't)
Windows Notifications  (and programs that use the Windows Notification service that cannot be managed through the WNS will popup anyway)
Windows services that require 7 other services to be running
Recycle Bin management
Windows Temp directory management is flawed.

Those darn taskbar icons move.  I go to click on a task on the taskbar, and as I click the icon moves under my mouse and I click a different program.
And yes, I know you can pin and unpin your icons in order, but we’re talking a lot of icons and I’m not setting it up every time I want to use my computer…. that would be like organizing your refrigerator every time you want to get something out.  In Microsoft’s defense, many of my many, oh so so so many, windows7 complaints are also ever-present in Mac and Linux OSs now.  Oh the bleeding inhumanity of it all!   I got Fedora21 recently and I couldn’t reformat that crap off my computer fast enough.  I miss redhat in the pre-
RHEL/Fedora days…  back when linux was a man’s OS and not crap.
The only thing worse than Windows7’s issues would be an OS that uses tiles with a touch-screen instead of a taskbar.  Imagine how bad THAT would be!

I dropped a USB drive once and I plugged it into Windows7 to scan it for issues.  If you tell it to NOT fix anything, it does anyway. sigh.  It had a good report, but still should be more detailed IMHO.  The report says it deleted a bunch of my files because “Windows cannot use those”.  sigh.  Thanks.  At least it told me, I guess.
Similarly, if you scan the drive and there are errors, when it fixes them, it just deletes your data.  “You may need to restore from backup because we had to delete some of your files.”  No report, no list of what files were deleted.  Smooth.
It’s the “You can reach the internet, so your computer is 100% healthy!”-type of thinking.
I guess I should be happy the drive still worked.

Microsoft forced pre-preparing and advertisement updates for Windows7/8 to upgrade to Windows10.  These were automatically retrieving data from Windows7/8 computers without
knowledge from the owners.  As I said before, I mostly trust Microsoft to not play too dirty, but their EULAs for WindowsVista and later make it difficult to trust them.  They don’t seem to understand that holes in your computer’s security are easily exploited by any other program on your computer.  Thus, steam or origin or mcafee can use(or worse, manipulate or cull their own data) Microsoft’s exploit method. WindowsXP and higher, you can hide users or directories/files.  Even an average hacker could compromise your computer and you'd never know it.  Microsoft-ers might say “you don’t know that they are doing something wrong or sending non-OS information”.  And that is exactly my problem. I don’t know.
I expect they will soon require internet activation for Windows.  I won't be doing that.

A couple positive notes:
Windows is still easily the most useful OS.  I prefer WindowsXP and Windows98 over the current ones.
Other than support for newer hardware, there is only one feature that is better in windows7 than WindowsXP.  That feature is the merging of file-folders when you move directories; although that still has the uppercase/lowercase same-filename issue that all windows OSs have.
I do like InternetExplorer's configurable security settings -- although this shouldn't be managing your OS security as well!
I like that Windows7 has the international character/language sets built-in.
NTFS is still flexible to not set its standard of compatibility to match the limited Windows.
Windows NT-kernel shutdown script -- I can force a computer shutdown.  This is very nice, I use it nearly everytime I shutdown a computer(which is several times a day).
Microsoft has repeatedly fought the US government against more insidious data tracking embedded in their OS.

12 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

I miss the old Windows Classic theme, which was the ideal hybrid of flat and skeuomorphic design that was all business and no fuss.

The new Windows 8+ interface is simply ugly.

I don't need 4 different Control Panels.

I want a faster Windows OS.

I don't need a thirty-billion processes running in my computer.

I also miss the Windows Classic theme.

Windows Aero Glass was an ideal design, which M$ removed for no real reason.

Be lucky that M$ or Apple doesn't have backward compat issue like in Linux. In Linux compiling something really old like Linux Doom and running it is a pain in the ass.

I was forced to use Win10 as the manufacturers are also going in the way of M$.

(Sorry for the mass-quote.) 

5 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Windows Aero Glass was an ideal design, which M$ removed for no real reason.

To try out something else, I'd definitely not want the same theme or style recycled ad infinitum. If only they were more creative.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

To try out something else, I'd definitely not want the same theme or style recycled ad infinitum. If only they were more creative.

You can try out other visual styles in windows 7 by patching. What do you mean?

34 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

You can try out other visual styles in windows 7 by patching. What do you mean?

I know, I used Luna from XP for a while on my previous toaster.

Well you assumed they removed Aero for no reason. I think they only did this simply because they wanted to try out a new style rather than stick to Aero for who knows how long.

Not to mention the sheer amount of complaints they received about the amount of resources aero used at the time probably helped make that decision.

21 hours ago, royaldj said:

I don't think so.

@Dragonfly, Which complaints?

@Agent6, the new style doesn't feel good.

Edited by Cacodemon345