Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Why do people still use DEHACKED?

^ All that needs to be said.

It's a matter of individual goals and personal preferences that will always be different for everybody.

Are you asking because you're trying to decide whether to use it, or do you just think it's archaic and are wondering why people choose to live in the past when modern and more seemingly-accessible options are available?

If you want it to run in nilla you gotta use dehacked. Those who don't care about compatibility with older style ports tend to use decorate instead which works for (g)zdoom and Zandronum. It's a matter of personal taste and what compatibility you're aiming for.

I don't like DeHackEd but I do like mapping in Boom format, but unfortunately that rules out DECORATE.

Someone enlighten me, what additional things can you do with BEX and how do you actually make one because I don't recall seeing it in WhackEd 4

I recall BEX DeHacking lets you alter functions on any frame, not just the ones that already have a function on them. Gives you a lot of freedom.

BEX lets you use codepointers for every frame which is a HUGE plus. Conversely, it doesn't allow you to assign custom sprite names like vanilla dehacked does, so there's a tradeoff there, but all in all BEX is more powerful than DEH.

Whacked 4 can be used to create BEX files (select 'boom format')

ninja'd as fuck!!!

huh, I think I selected Boom format but it was still outputting DEH files. Anyway, thanks!

edit: oh now I see why. fuck I'm dumb, lol

It's really useful for seeing quick and easy results for small shit. Like via ZDoom you could spend 30 minutes trying to redefine a bunch of things pertaining to ammo and your STATBAR in order to see changes if you want to change default/max capacities. Or you could just define the new amounts in DEH and move on!

1. Compatibility with vanilla engine and all Doom ports.

2. Certain few things are easier to implement in DEHACKED than in DECORATE.

3. While not necessary to create DEHACKED patches, a specialized editor for creating them exists.

y dont u fite me u punk azz bich?

Is shitposting allowed on Doomworld?  I'm not sure where the limit is.

6 hours ago, Revae said:

Is shitposting allowed on Doomworld?  I'm not sure where the limit is.

Shitposting is not allowed on Doomworld.

Edit:I would use Decorate instead.I don't want to run out of frames.

Edited by Cacodemon345

One can utilize dehacked to allow more compatibility with external decorate utilizing addons. For an example, if one attempts to use the unvaccinated Valiant in combination with a weapon addon - say, Weapons Of Saturn - one may have a few issues because of double writings over various actors, as valiant has its own player class and has both its own coding for certain weapons [Pistol and Chaingun] as well as slight rewritings of the shotgun and supershotgun. Also, of course, backwards compatibility - as mentoned  prior by others - is a notable contributor to the usage of dehacked, with such being utilized in the previously mentioned Valiant, allowing usage with older source ports such as Boom and Edge.