Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Christmas 2017 Damage Report (AKA what did you get?)

24 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

The joy of successfully setting up a virtual machine running Windows 98.

The additional joy of successfully playing Unreal on the former.

You know it runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 right? Install patch 227i and you're set.

20 minutes ago, Nevander said:

You know it runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 right? Install patch 227i and you're set.

Yeah, I know, but I just did it as an experiment first and foremost. Chances are it'll become my go-to method for retro PC gaming, though. Fiddling with compatibility settings and patches in modern Windows OS's just isn't satisfying enough. :P

43 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Oh boy!! Did you do that manually bit-by-bit??

Doesn't the operating system of you choice provide an automatic backup/restore?

I had to order online the new HDD on the 22nd, luckily it arrived the next afternoon.  Until then I had nothing to back up 8Tb to.  It took a 24 hour run of CHKDSK to get the drive working again after I kept getting "the volume data is corrupt and unreadable" errors left right and center, I then left my rig off until the new HDD arrived.  Then I used AOMEI Backupper to clone the two partitions that made up the 8Tb drive onto 2 partitions of the 10Tb one.

I don't trust Microsoft products to work properly (Their Operating Systems barely work) so I use external programs.  For example, Windows 7's search is ineffective and when enabling indexing a file is generated that keeps getting bigger and bigger until it eats my SSD, and Windows Search NEVER finds anything anyway, it just takes hours of slow searching (with indexing on, days probably with indexing off) only to say no results were found.  I use UltraSearch to find my files in my now total of 19.5Tb storage (Yes I'm a data Hoarder), so I wasn't going to trust Microsoft's inbuilt backup program with my valuable data.  I wish gaming rigs didn't require Microsoft Windows, Linux has hardly anything in comparison.  I wish games weren't so dependant on Microsoft's proprietary DirectX, Why not OpenGL and Vulkan?

The lesson I learned is AVOID SEAGATE HDD/SSD'S!  This is the 3rd one I lost in a year and all died just after the warranty expired (even if I could RMA it, Seagate would only replace it with another faulty HDD) so I paid up big time and got a DataCenter grade WD Gold Enterprise 10TB.  I already noticed loading times on my Steam games are much quicker than the Seagate Drive was (the Seagate drive claimed to be 5,900RPM, but performed like 2,400RPM), so 7,200RPM seems to be a good speed for a spinning HDD with a 10Tb capacity.  Hopefully, this one lasts the text of time.  I don't think I could ever afford a 10Tb SSD (if one even yet exists).

Edited by hoover1979 : Fixing Typos.

• a crockpot
  • corn cob holders that have little buckets of popcorn on the ends of them
  • measuring cups
  • lindor truffles
  • a really pretty candle
  • reed diffuser oil
  • money
  • amazon gift card
  • an illustration from my very talented uncle
  • socks and underwear (which I actually asked for!)
  • a plain black zip hoodie which has been missing from my wardrobe for far too long
  • a nice blouse
  • Hellsing mangas 1-5
  • won $17 from scratcher tickets
  • inherited my parent's old shredder since they got one for xmas this year
  • Quake mission packs 1 and 2

Although, probably the best thing about this Christmas was barely making it to 5 PM Christmas Eve services by my dad's request, but still making it. I had to work from 6 AM to 2:30 PM, go straight to the stables to feed horses, made it home by 4:30 PM, changed in 5 minutes, and made a 40 minute drive in about 30 minutes, getting into church at 5:02 PM. My dad had pretty much given up hope that I was going to make it, and he didn't know I made it until after the service was over, since I had to sneak into the back. The look of joy that was on his face when he saw me made everything that day so very much worth it. <3

24 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:
  • Hellsing mangas 1-5

Uuu I like what I'm reading, my favorite series :) .

13 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

The Art of Atari book

That sounds interesting. Gonna look that up...

13 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

and I gifted myself some visual novels, because why not?

Oh yeah, now that you mention that. I gifted myself a couple CD's... Iron Maiden ~ The Book of Souls: Live Chapter and Rolling Stones ~ Blue & Lonesome.

$100 Steam Card

$25 Walmart card

$25 Cash

Star Wars T-Shirt

Star Wars calendar

Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2018

Toronto Maple Leafs T-Shirt

Toronto Maple Leafs Coffee Mug

Toronto Maple Leafs Toque

Handmade porcelain coffee mug (Robert McMillan Pottery)

Socks

Sketch Book

A couple 8x10 canvas boards

Set of paint brushes

Various candy (Skittles, Werthers soft centers, Starburst and those hard pink mints)

Two 3D metal model kits (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D and a Vor'cha Class Klingon vessel)

DVD Alien Quadrilogy (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection)

Edited by Doom_Dude : zuh?

Nothing. I've been free from the bonds of this annoying holiday ever since I moved away on my own. I never liked the idea of people feeling obligated to give me things just because society deems that the norm on some particular days. The only holiday worth celebrating is Halloween! No obligations, just a great atmosphere, lots of candy, and lots of beer and horror movies!

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

we were allowed to mute the tv when ed sheeran and the queen were on

Lucky you. Top of the Flops broke me, nearly ruined the whole day.

i got a couple of sailor moon pop figures

nirvana cd [Album is Nevermind]

pearl jam cd [album is Ten]

brand new drawing monitor tablet [Huion gt 220 v2]

a roblox card (haha i play roblox am i a cool kid yet???)

wow i even got a radio to play my cds on!! 

bluetooth speaker

my brother's friend even bought me a sketchbook and some colored pencils so.. that was neat.

This Christmas I bought some games from GOG:

Planescape Torment

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

Syberia

Unreal Gold

Hard West (it was free, so why not)

So far I am enjoying Bloodlines and I might play the other games if I have time.

11 hours ago, Philnemba said:

A shitload of snacks 

About 100$ in cash

A 20 dollar VR mobile headset for android/IOS devices 

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds...for Xbox One

I bought an $18 VR mobile device. I loved it for its sheer comedy of how terrible it was. It was well worth the $18 for the 2 hours of laughter.

Despite most of my family and loved ones being hours away, I still had a great one!! I got:

- Tons of chocolate

- Vikings Seasons 1 - 4 Bluray Boxset

- A Super Eurobeat CD, the Keisuke selections (because I am a sucker for Initial D)

- Liam Gallagher's new solo album "As You Were" (Album oF THE YEAR)

- An Afterglow PS3/PC Controller (played Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 with it all day yesterday)

- The comfiest mattress I could have hoped for (I was sleeping on foam slabs for 4 years. God damn)

- Materia Collective's "Resurrection of the Night" Castlevania Album (love that sweet nostalgia)

- The girl of my dreams <3

- A delayed paycheck, haha

- Some rain! FINALLY!!

- The most stress-free Christmas in years

I think my brother also bought me the Dead Space trilogy on the PS3, but it hasn't arrived in the post yet. I also plan on buying myself the Ace Attorney Trilogy, and Ace Attorney 6 while they're on sale at the 3DS eShop, and pre-ordering the Radiant Historia remaster.

10 hours ago, tourniquet said:

Bloodborne alone is absolutely worth buying one.

Hear hear! I bought a PS4 and a new TV specifically to play Bloodborne when it came out, and I haven't regretted it for a second. It's probably my second favorite game of all time (behind Doom, naturally).

Check the OP, I added the 2015 and 2016 thread links at the bottom for the curious.

tea kettle

new case (coolermaster haf xb evo, I didn't select it, was my dad's choice)

some japanese materials

a may'n album from my sister

the autobiography of james t. kirk from my older sister

nice over the ear sennheiser portable headphones, now that i have semi-functioning ears. my old pair was a mess of duct tape that I bought for 20 dollars over two years ago. Also my ears were broken

a fuckton of money

a fuckton of steam games

was fun.

i got a laptop and bed sheets from my parents, some hidamari sketch figures from my grandparents, and one of my friends bought me a kuromi plushie. tbh the plush is my favorite gift out of them all..... sorry mom and dad

I wasn't intending to buy myself a gift, I was content with what I had.

However a week prior Christmas my Graphics card exploded... well immolated, twice. Everything else was fine, thank God.

So I purchased a GTI 1080 TI graphics card. It's pretty good. I'm making some games scale to 4k without having a 4k monitor.

12 hours ago, Stripey said:

12 hours ago, Stripey said:

- The comfiest mattress I could have hoped for (I was sleeping on foam slabs for 4 years. God damn)

You counted the same item twice...

1 hour ago, DoomGater said:

You counted the same item twice...

Ahaha, I mean if anything it's the other way around! She's already claimed me as her ultimate pillow

This year was pretty uneventful for me, usually we have a large family gathering or something along those lines, but this year it was mostly just us with maybe a few cousins popping by for a bit. Anyway this year I got:

1. A 50$ Steam gift card from my brother, already bought Portal 2, Counter Strike Source (for gmod resources mostly) and the Heretic/HeXen collection (all for like $12).
  2. Something my parents ordered through amazon that hasn't come yet (I still don't know what it is, I have some pretty high hopes) (Since this was originally posted it has now arrived, and is actually a Star Wars clock cut from a vinyl record. Not what I was expecting but awesome!)
  3. A LEGO set my mom bought because my main gift hadn't arrived yet (I totally didn't pick it out).

I think that I should share the things I helped get for my family:

1. A large map of Middle Earth for my dad (it should be illegal for any frame to cost more than the thing inside it), which was too big to wrap so I drew my own map of Middle Earth on a small card, put it in a box and wrapped it. When my dad opened the present me and my brother pulled out the actual map from behind the couch.
  2. A quilting book for my mom (my mom makes amazing quilts).
  3. The movie Brazil for my brother (everyone needs to see that movie at some point in their lives).
Edited by Skeletonpatch

On 12/26/2017 at 8:43 PM, Stripey said:

Hate to break it to ya dude, but your right hand has always been there  feelsman.jpg

ok sorry

2 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Hate to break it to ya dude, but your right hand has always been there  feelsman.jpg

ok sorry

I hate to break it to YOU, but coughlefthandedcough