Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odysseyofnoises

[Request] Broken Ice Shard Sprites

I'm recreating the freeze rifle from realm667 using DeHackEd and would like to have frozen monsters break apart after a certain amount of time. Can anyone make ice shard sprites for vanilla like the ones used in the realm667 weapon? I checked the lumps, and they don't seem to be present in that wad file.

I checked that out, and you're right about the Ice Golem using ice shard sprites; however, there are no images inside the wad file because the ice bits are probably generated using some ZDoom trickery. I need some actual, concrete, static sprites -- something generic that I can apply to any of the monsters.

1 hour ago, odysseyofnoises said:

I checked that out, and you're right about the Ice Golem using ice shard sprites; however, there are no images inside the wad file because the ice bits are probably generated using some ZDoom trickery. I need some actual, concrete, static sprites -- something generic that I can apply to any of the monsters.

The ice shard sprites are in HEXEN.WAD

ICECA0 to ICECD0

That's better, but that wad contains only one animated ice shard, and it consists of only four frames. I'm looking for something that has several shards and that has /at least/ eight frames, if possible.

Correct; it should be a set of sprites I can simply insert into my wad without modification and then implement using DeHackEd. Also, I would upload the wad file in question, but it appears to exceed the 5-MB file-size limit.

The frozen state is indeed unique for all the monsters; again, I wish I could upload the dang file... I would link to my Dropbox, but I don't know what stance Doomworld takes in terms of linking to external file sites, and I don't want to cross some invisible line. I suppose the glass-breaking animation should start in the middle of the shattering process so that it can be applied to all the monsters generically. In other words, the shards are already a few inches apart in the first frame and then fall to the ground. Making individual sprites for all the monsters would be far more work than I'm willing to ask for, and I don't even know if I'd be able to implement the effect, given the sheer number of sprites that would result.

Okay, I went ahead and reduced the file size by simply removing all of the maps except for MAP08 (the actual version contains ten maps). MAP08 was chosen because it contains a good selection of enemies to be frozen and features the freeze rifle at the start of the level, so if you want to see the weapon in action, simply warp to that level.

resxmas_CUTFORDW.zip

Well, I expected it to use the gibbing frames, but I didn't expect it to deal such an insane amount of damage that virtually all monsters are affected. It's gonna be challenging to make an animation that would fit both a measly zombie and a spider mastermind.

By the way, you can include much more sprites than Doom 2 contained. Sprite sets (such as HDB1) are limited, and every one of them has a limited amount of frames (I don't know the maximum, but you can consult the arch-vile for the symbols you can definitely use), but this amount is the same for every set.

For example, you can use HDB1B0, HDB1C0, HDB1D0, etc.

You can have virtually unlimited frames with DECORATE. To extend Da Werecat's example, you could use HDB1A0 - HDB1Z0 and then HDB2A0 - HDB2Z0, and so on as needed.

Yes, the "freeze pellet" deals a whopping 10,000 points of damage in order to guarantee that even the strongest enemy (the cyberdemon) can be frozen. It simply doesn't make sense to me for a weapon to freeze certain monsters but kill others normally, so that's just the design choice I'm forced into, odd as it may appear. You're right about it being a challenge to design a sprite set that works with varying enemy sizes; I was actually going to bring that up as a concern myself. I suppose the only real solution, short of making a thousand different sprites, would be to have an animation that's of medium size. If you make individualized ice explosions, I guess I could figure out how to make the system work, but that's just going to be a lot of work for you, and I'm simply not willing to ask of a stranger that kind of commitment.

And as for DECORATE, I'm not really interested in using that, since the whole purpose of this project is to see how advanced I can make a wad that still works under a limit-removing compatibility level.

Oh, now I see in your first post that you said "in vanilla". About sprite sets, how about a compromise? Instead of just one sprite set or a custom sprite set for each monster, you could have for example 3 sprite sets: small, medium, and large. I don't know, maybe it doesn't work that way.

That's an interesting thought; since most of the monsters are of relatively the same size, I suppose only two or three different versions of the ice breaking sprites would suffice.